New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HD Equipment Swap Program (MPEG 4)

Posted by
Contributor

Message 451 of 521
Yes I would guess native resolution is best but that remains to be seen when they switch to mpeg4 next month. I will see how 1080i channels look next month. I would think 720p channels would look really good when mpeg4 occurs next month with mpeg4 upgrade and framerate increase to 60.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 452 of 521

Cydeweyz wrote:

Only better if you are viewing those resolutions from the native source. If CBS is native 1080i, then Comcast transcodes to 720p, then the TV you use upscales to 1080p or worse, 2160p, then you are viewing some degraded content.

Yes, this is absolutely true.

Since most HDTVs are 1080p (forgetting about 4K 1260p and Plama 768p), the way it has been is a 1080i broadcast is interlaced meaning the even lines are shown first, and then the odd lines are show at 30 fps. But your 1080p TV takes this 1080i broadcast and puts all the even and odd lines together to make it 1080p.

But with Comcast downconverting the resolution on their end from 1080i to 720p, and sending it out, when it gets to your 1080p TV, it must then upconvert it to 1080p. See the problem here!

The images is being downconverted and then upconverted = VERY BAD!

I still can't get over Comcast is doing this.

I told my brother Marc, that use to be a head Comcast warehouse tech supervisor in Palm Beach, about all this with all the tech details, and his words were "Those Dirty (fill in the blank)". Though he is someone biased, as after working there 7 years, they let him go without much notice and outsourced his job and may others to independent contractors.

But back to the point...I spent some time looking up alternative TV providers, and am AMAZED at the Hopper 3 from Dish Network. 16 recordings at one, 2TB internal drive, support 2TB USB drive, 4K resolution support, Netflix streaming (4K). To me, that pretty much kills X1.

Once the conversion happens here in South FL, I may leave Comcast for anther TV provider, and just keep my internet and phone with them. It all depends on how I think the image quality is on my TVs (Samsung 43" Plasma 768p, two Toshiba 32" 1080p).

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 453 of 521
Posted by
Contributor

Message 454 of 521

Are there any plans for a rollout in Maine?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 455 of 521
Interesting article-
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/1080i-and-1080p-are-the-same-resolution/
"The 1080i designation is 1,920x1,080 pixels, running at 30 frames per second. This is what CBS, NBC, and just about every other broadcaster uses. The math is actually pretty simple: 1080 at 30fps is the same amount of data as 720 at 60 (or at least, close enough for what we're talking about)."
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 456 of 521

Mpeg 4 720p at 60FPS looks great guy thanks for that post man.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 457 of 521

Cydeweyz wrote:
Interesting article-
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/1080i-and-1080p-are-the-same-resolution/
"The 1080i designation is 1,920x1,080 pixels, running at 30 frames per second. This is what CBS, NBC, and just about every other broadcaster uses. The math is actually pretty simple: 1080 at 30fps is the same amount of data as 720 at 60 (or at least, close enough for what we're talking about)."

Generally, 720p60 can compress a bit more than 1080i30 without artifacts. Fox and ABC went with it originally because they thought the progressive would look better with the sports they carry (remember ABC owns ESPN.) Today, since most all TV's upconvert to their native resolution and usually fully progressive, there isn't as much of a difference anymore.

You also end up with multiple conversions now. Original 1080i30 is converted to 720p60 by Comcast. Your box may then convert that to 1080i30, and your TV converts that to 1080p60. What a mess.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 458 of 521

720p60 contains a lot less data than 1080i30. I know that by the resulting file sizes when I record through the firewire port to my PC. It's fine if a broadcaster has chosen to originate in 720p, like PBS, which I watch a lot. What I don't like is Comcast muddying the waters by downconverting a 1080i channel to 720p which, as multiple folks have noted, is often going to get upconverted by our TV's to 1080p. That is bound to degrade the picture, and I'm beginning to see it with MSNBC. It's certainly misleading for them to bill this whole effort as some kind of "improvement".  It's anything but. The goal is for Comcast to boost their revenue by squeezing in more channels. 

It's certainly true that MPEG-4 is a more efficient compression engine than MPEG-2, but why not stick to 1080 if that is the original stream?

It's my understanding that some channels will remain 1080i in MPEG-2 due to contracts or FCC regulations --- not sure which.  This includes the major networks like CBS and NBC. Comcast will supposedly not be messing with those.  But how about some transparency about what they're doing?  They have a lot of IT staff busy clogging up the XFINITY web site with revenue-boosting advertising; how about repurposing a few of those man hours into letting customers know which channels they are messing with in this whole "HD upgrade" project?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 459 of 521

It's not a big deal channels are fine.

then again I only watch sports

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations, you've have started 5 topics! Your communication brings an abundance of information to the community!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 460 of 521

Since I installed my new cable box I am constantly receiving a message from "Service Alert" You are eligible for an equipment update - on us. Tune to channel 1995 to order your new equipment and learn more. When I go to channel 1995 it says I have the latest equipment and to check my other TV boxes. I only have one cable box and one TV, how do I get rid of this message?

alert.jpg
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 461 of 521

kipong wrote:

Since I installed my new cable box I am constantly receiving a message from "Service Alert" You are eligible for an equipment update - on us. Tune to channel 1995 to order your new equipment and learn more. When I go to channel 1995 it says I have the latest equipment and to check my other TV boxes. I only have one cable box and one TV, how do I get rid of this message?

Apologies.

How to get the alerts to stop: 

Press the Menu button on your remote control.
Highlight Main Menu and press OK.
Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Interactive TV and press OK.
Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Notifications and press OK.
Scroll down to Service Notifications, then use the rightor left arrow keys to turn them On or Off.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 462 of 521

On second thought after watching an on demand selection and then my HD live channels there's a definite white film on the channels that are getting down rezzed to 720p it's quite noticable compared to the on demand selections which are crystal clear.

what a shame

I'm trying to watch this cavs vs celtics game but can't stop being bothered by that white film the picture isn't clear at all. and before a comcast employee tells me I have a bad connection I have a 38.9 SNR on that channel.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 463 of 521

There is a another (new) thread about this conversion from 1080i to 720p on HD channels.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Bring-back-1080i-VIDEO-for-HBO-Hallmark-AMC-Br...

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 464 of 521

What was the point of going MPEG 4 if you were just gonna down rez 1080p channels to 720p.

I don't know about you guys but I rather have MPEG 2 and native 1080p on my channels.

I actually saw 1080p MPEG 4 and it was amazing

1080p down rezzed to 720p is not.I thought my eyes were giving out for a second when most of the channels look bad. 1080p down rezzed to 720p is not a clear picture at all and is by defintion not HD at all. You are stealing from all your customers the joy of a clearer picture because of this.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 465 of 521
There were no 1080p broadcast channels. Just 1080i. It's still a problem though. Just return to each channels native resolution.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 466 of 521

Pharrell wrote:

What was the point of going MPEG 4 if you were just gonna down rez 1080p channels to 720p.

I don't know about you guys but I rather have MPEG 2 and native 1080p on my channels.

I actually saw 1080p MPEG 4 and it was amazing

1080p down rezzed to 720p is not.I thought my eyes were giving out for a second when most of the channels look bad. 1080p down rezzed to 720p is not a clear picture at all and is by defintion not HD at all. You are stealing from all your customers the joy of a clearer picture because of this.

Because MPEG4 still allows for more compression. WIth MPEG2, they can only fit 3-4 HD per QAM frequency without major issues. With MPEG4, they are stuffing 9-10. MPEG4 also seems to 'degrade' smoother than MPEG2, mainly just getting fuzzy rather than blocky.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 467 of 521

I received a letter from Xfinity stating .............Update your TV Box on us

now what

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 468 of 521

Ten days ago I went to channel 1995 and went through the process of accepting the new cable box. It is ten days later and channel 1995 still says "Your order is processing". How long should it be taking for the order to process?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 469 of 521

alhott wrote:

I received a letter from Xfinity stating .............Update your TV Box on us

now what

What did the letter tell you to do?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 470 of 521

rgzuber wrote:

Ten days ago I went to channel 1995 and went through the process of accepting the new cable box. It is ten days later and channel 1995 still says "Your order is processing". How long should it be taking for the order to process?

Certainly not 10 days.  Call Comcast customer service.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 471 of 521

rgzuber wrote:

When I did mine, I got mail on the primary email account acknowledging the order and that it was shipping. I think it was the same day or so.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 472 of 521

I have received both a letter and a voicemail stating I had old equipment, yet when I tune to Channel 1995 on all set top boxes that I have, I get a message stating "This set-top box is good to go!" The boxes are both Scientific Atlanta 4250 Explorer HDCs which I got close to 6 years ago (or even more) now. Are these boxes known to be compatible with the new MPEG 4? Or is the message on Channel 1995 a false positive?

Posted by
Visitor
Message 473 of 521

Can Xfinity make this and all their online things more confusing? This is aweful. Really aweful. Such a big company and this is the best they can do... I am simply trying to get the new modem. There is no simple way to get to your recommended site. I think I will simply buy mt own and have you cancel my modem charge. I'll end up paying less in the long run.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 474 of 521
Posted by
Visitor

Message 475 of 521

Does your bill increase with these new boxes??  Nothing is mentioned in the letter I received.  

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 476 of 521

ruskinanne wrote:

Does your bill increase with these new boxes??  Nothing is mentioned in the letter I received.  

No. It's just a swap to newer equipment.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 477 of 521

When is the MPEG2 cutoff date for Palm Beach County, Florida 33467 ?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 478 of 521

I got a letter to swap equipment..and its popping up on my tv. I went online and ordered the new equipment, but still haven't received it. 

Its been a couple weeks. I can't tell on line if the order went threw or not.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 479 of 521

CarolBrown wrote:

I got a letter to swap equipment..and its popping up on my tv. I went online and ordered the new equipment, but still haven't received it. 

Its been a couple weeks. I can't tell on line if the order went threw or not.

You should have received an email to your primary Comcast account with acknowledgements:

Comcast2.png

Comcast3.png

Posted by
Visitor

Message 480 of 521

Why are we being charged to do YOUR job!?! I'm not a cable technician YOU are. Do your job Comcast!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 481 of 521

nikismithwin wrote:

Why are we being charged to do YOUR job!?! I'm not a cable technician YOU are. Do your job Comcast!

Apologies for any confusion we may have caused. There is no charge to swap the equipment.

We can have a replacement box shipped to your home (no charge), you can swap it at the location listed below (no charge) or we can have a technician come out and swap it (no charge).

299 North Main Street
Rutland, VT 05701
MONDAY-FRIDAY: 10:00am-6:00pm
SATURDAY: 9:00am-1:00pm
SUNDAY: closed

Please let me know if you need assistance with any of the above options. Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 482 of 521

I just had a brutally unsatisfying chat with a Comcast customer service rep.

Is it possible that they have no idea about this program?

My question for them was, "I'm getting these notifications that I have to switch out my box and I've already started losing HD channels. Can you send me a new box or do I need a technician?" 

30 minutes later they still had no idea what I was talking about. She wanted to troubleshoot the box and reboot it or send out a tech.  Said she could send a new box if I insisted but "it would be the SAME model" I have now. SMH...

It was the worst customer service experience I ever had. I wanted a manager but they wouldn't send me over to one. I'd like a manager to read it so they understand the disconnect between what the TV notifications told me to do (Contact Comcast) and the service I got when I contacted them.

So, again, how do I get this box sent to me without having to do a full troubleshooting and sending out a technician?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 483 of 521

sharonandsean wrote:

I just had a brutally unsatisfying chat with a Comcast customer service rep.

Is it possible that they have no idea about this program?

My question for them was, "I'm getting these notifications that I have to switch out my box and I've already started losing HD channels. Can you send me a new box or do I need a technician?" 

30 minutes later they still had no idea what I was talking about. She wanted to troubleshoot the box and reboot it or send out a tech.  Said she could send a new box if I insisted but "it would be the SAME model" I have now. SMH...

It was the worst customer service experience I ever had. I wanted a manager but they wouldn't send me over to one. I'd like a manager to read it so they understand the disconnect between what the TV notifications told me to do (Contact Comcast) and the service I got when I contacted them.

So, again, how do I get this box sent to me without having to do a full troubleshooting and sending out a technician?

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have someone on our New England team reviewing your account now so that we can get you the equipment that you need. Someone on that team will reach out to you directly. 

Apologies again, we will review the interactions that you had and work directly with the teams and agents that were involved.

Thanks for your patience.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 484 of 521
When i go to channel 1995 it tells me to call for appointment to do the swap. I would rather self install....can i do that and how do i initiate it??? Thanks
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 485 of 521

Oldschool2 wrote:
When i go to channel 1995 it tells me to call for appointment to do the swap. I would rather self install....can i do that and how do i initiate it??? Thanks

We can arrange to ship the replacement cable box to you (at no charge) by calling us at 1-800-COMCAST or you can swap it at the center listed below (that's about 35 miles each way, so the shipping sounds way easier):

2505 S Industrial

Ann Arbor, MI 48104

MONDAY-FRIDAY: 10:00am-6:00pm
SATURDAY: 10:00am-1:00pm
SUNDAY: closed

There may be signal level issues that need to be addressed which is why the screen prompted for an appointment. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 486 of 521

rgzuber wrote:

Quoting myself above. This whole process is a farce. It still tells me my order is processing two months later. LOL. I'm just leaving it that way until I have an issue. The less I deal with this company the better.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 487 of 521
sharonandsean wrote:

I just had a brutally unsatisfying chat with a Comcast customer service rep....

They are a spectacularly horrible company.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 488 of 521

rgzuber wrote:

rgzuber wrote:

Quoting myself above. This whole process is a farce. It still tells me my order is processing two months later. LOL. I'm just leaving it that way until I have an issue. The less I deal with this company the better.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. Looks like the order was "stuck". We have moved it along and you should have the replacement equipment soon. Thanks for your patience.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 489 of 521

After receiving letters in the mail and alerts on my television, I finally visited channel 1995.  It tells me I need new boxes but nothing on how to get them. Upon sitting at a computer and logging into my account, I find there are also emails to me that include a link to initiate the swap.

Attempted to go through the process (screenshots inlcuded) and get the following error message:

SH404.127.6: Bulk Order Management Service could not find the account for the swap

Figured it would require a phone call and waited til business hours just in case.  I just had a conversation with a customer service rep who did not seem to know about this program and was trying to have me "upgrade" my boxes for a cost.  When I read her the text of the letters and emails, she said "Oh, I will try to transfer you to the TV technical people" but her transfer tool wasn't working and she asked me to hang up and call again.  Didn't give me much faith that this would be solved by calling back so any help would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 1.45.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 1.45.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 1.45.18 PM.png
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 490 of 521

TeeCor wrote:

After receiving letters in the mail and alerts on my television, I finally visited channel 1995.  It tells me I need new boxes but nothing on how to get them. Upon sitting at a computer and logging into my account, I find there are also emails to me that include a link to initiate the swap.

Attempted to go through the process (screenshots inlcuded) and get the following error message:

SH404.127.6: Bulk Order Management Service could not find the account for the swap

Figured it would require a phone call and waited til business hours just in case.  I just had a conversation with a customer service rep who did not seem to know about this program and was trying to have me "upgrade" my boxes for a cost.  When I read her the text of the letters and emails, she said "Oh, I will try to transfer you to the TV technical people" but her transfer tool wasn't working and she asked me to hang up and call again.  Didn't give me much faith that this would be solved by calling back so any help would be appreciated!

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have asked a colleague to review your account and reach out to you so that we can get this process started for you. There is no cost to get the equipment swapped out.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 491 of 521

Never received notification. Started losing HD channels-audio only, but kept getting charged for full package. Called support and was told it was an audit but we should not have lost those channels as we have paid for them. Have a cable card that we were charged for, and were told they would elevate to tier 2 support. 5 days later (yesterday) called again. Was told it was the transition to the mpeg 4. They would rebate $35 for lost service, and send out a technician. Tech came out today, but they do not have any mpeg4 cards only the mpeg 2 which I already have. So I will not know when or if they have these cards, if my tv will work with the updated cards, and will be forced to add a device at additional cost and rental fees... Not happy. 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 492 of 521

FamilyGal3 wrote:

Never received notification. Started losing HD channels-audio only, but kept getting charged for full package. Called support and was told it was an audit but we should not have lost those channels as we have paid for them. Have a cable card that we were charged for, and were told they would elevate to tier 2 support. 5 days later (yesterday) called again. Was told it was the transition to the mpeg 4. They would rebate $35 for lost service, and send out a technician. Tech came out today, but they do not have any mpeg4 cards only the mpeg 2 which I already have. So I will not know when or if they have these cards, if my tv will work with the updated cards, and will be forced to add a device at additional cost and rental fees... Not happy. 

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have asked a colleague to review your account and reach out to you so that we can get any underlying issues identified and resolved.

What is the model of the Tivo or cable card device that you have now? 

The link below from Tivo may be helpful to your situation:

https://support.tivo.com/SupportPortalArticleViewPage?artURL=/articles/Features_Use/Comcast-Transiti...

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 493 of 521

FamilyGal3 wrote:

If you have a CableCard device, then the card itself makes no difference. CableCard is nothing but a security key for authorization. It's up to your device to decode MPEG4.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 494 of 521

I have the new equipment but I haven't installed it yet.  We are trying to watch everything on the DVR before we switch.  What will happen if we don't switch by the deadline (11 April)?  Will we just lose some HD channels or will the old box not work at all?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 495 of 521

cmc2012 wrote:

I have the new equipment but I haven't installed it yet.  We are trying to watch everything on the DVR before we switch.  What will happen if we don't switch by the deadline (11 April)?  Will we just lose some HD channels or will the old box not work at all?

At first, a few HD channels will be converted to MPEG4 and will have audio, but no video, on an incompatible box. After a few weeks, most all the rest will convert over. The box will work otherwise.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 496 of 521
Posted by
Visitor

Message 497 of 521
We never received a notice for our cable card and just lost a bunch of channels we have been paying for. We would either like a reduction in our bill or a cable box with rental fee waived to account for this change in service. We already incurred fees for 4 device rentals for other TVS when signals were changed to digital.
Agree, very poor roll out.
Posted by
Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 498 of 521

I received the letter about the update. I went to channel 1995 as instructed by the letter and for both boxes in the house the message on screen said that the box was "good to go!". It would appear, based on the directions supplied by Comcast that no action is necessary on my part and no equipment swap is needed. Is this correct? Boxes are a Scientific Atlanta 8300 Combo and a Cisco RNG200. I don't want to unexpectedly lose channels but I also don't want to pull my system apart for no reason if my current boxes are good. And I have no desire to move to X1. Any info on this would help. Thanks!

P.S. If the "good to go!" message is not correct, why is the system giving me false information?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 499 of 521

FamilyGal3 wrote:
We never received a notice for our cable card and just lost a bunch of channels we have been paying for. We would either like a reduction in our bill or a cable box with rental fee waived to account for this change in service. We already incurred fees for 4 device rentals for other TVS when signals were changed to digital.
Agree, very poor roll out.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. 

What is the model of the Tivo or cable card device that you have now?

The link below from Tivo may be helpful to your situation:

https://support.tivo.com/SupportPortalArticleViewPage?artURL=/articles/Features_Use/Comcast-Transiti...

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 500 of 521

TGS808 wrote:

I received the letter about the update. I went to channel 1995 as instructed by the letter and for both boxes in the house the message on screen said that the box was "good to go!". It would appear, based on the directions supplied by Comcast that no action is necessary on my part and no equipment swap is needed. Is this correct? Boxes are a Scientific Atlanta 8300 Combo and a Cisco RNG200. I don't want to unexpectedly lose channels but I also don't want to pull my system apart for no reason if my current boxes are good. And I have no desire to move to X1. Any info on this would help. Thanks!

P.S. If the "good to go!" message is not correct, why is the system giving me false information?

The RNG is certainly OK, as all RNG's are MPEG4 capable. Not as sure about the SA8300, as I thought that was an older box and roughly equivalent to the Motorola DCT or DCH series. You may want to see if there is a full model number somewhere (maybe label on the bottom), as there could be multiple versions, and the latest could be MPEG4 capable.

Also, despite the VERY HEAVY push from Comcast, you do NOT need to upgrade to X1. You can just get newer boxes that still run iGuide, although that software is no longer being updated.