New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HD Equipment Swap Program (MPEG 4)

Administrator
Administrator

HD Equipment Swap Program (MPEG 4)

HI All, recently there have been a lot of questions regarding this an as a result I decided to make this post.

What is the program:

The HD Equipment Swap Program is an initiative to exchange older model HD equipment in a customer's home with a newer model. We are swapping out several models of MPEG-2 set-top boxes across the Comcast footprint. These boxes are replaced with MPEG-4-capable boxes in order to provide XFINITY TV customers with an HD-enhanced experience.

What’s happening: We are beginning to migrate HD channels to a new format that enhances the viewing experience by providing customers with better picture quality.

How we will contact you: Letters, emails, TV Alerts. If you don’t hear from us you are all set.

Important things to note:

There is no charge to replace your boxes via Self Install Kit- we’ll ship it for free and installing it is easy.

Your bill with not go up, we aren’t adding any services, simply swapping out an old box for a new box

Not all boxes in your home need to be swapped- check Channel 1995 to see which ones

You can return your old boxes at UPS Store (simply bring the boxes in- no box or label required) or Xfinity Service Center. Or, if you have someone come to your house to install, they will take the boxes with them.

How do you know if you need to swap: If you don’t get a letter from us, you are all set. If you want to double check, go to Channel 1995

How to get the alerts to stop:  We are contacting you to make sure you don’t lose access to HD Channels. If you want to turn off the alerts please see the below. Please note- the alerts will not appear, but you still need to exchange your box.

1. Press the Menu button on your remote control.
  2. Highlight Main Menu and press OK.
  3. Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Interactive TV and press OK.
  4. Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Notifications and press OK.
  5. Scroll down to Service Notifications, then use the right or left arrow keys to turn them On or Off.

Availability: The program is not occurring in all markets. Please tune to Channel 1995 to see if swap options are available for you.   If you don't see the channel or see a blackscreen, please wait until you receive a letter with your information on this when this is happening in your area. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Who set this system up?

it looks like from previous posts that I will need to replace both of our boxes DCH 3200 and DCH 3416 but because I cannot access channel 1995, I have no way of knowing how to do that.

Regular Visitor

HD Enhanced channel 1995

I've been instructed to tune to channel 1995 to see whether my cable box needs upgrading to preserve my HD channels. I have gone to channel 1995 several times, but nothing there tells me about the upgrade--whether I need it or how to get it. All I find are videos about xfinity services. What is it I am supposed to do?

New Poster

HD Enhanced Program: Someone needs to be held accountable for such a pitiful rollout!

I received my HD Enhanced Program letter in mail yesterday with the notice that one or more of my cable boxes needs to be upgraded. The letter gave clear instructions to go to channel 1995 and follow the on-screen instructions.

I did this on all my cable boxes and got the same result on all of them: no instructions appeared. So I went to the website address that was supposed to answer my questions and guess what? I see the same text that's in the letter. Wow that was helpful!

So I called the Comcast 24/7 phone number (1-800-XFINITY). I called 3 times in the evening. In all three cases I was informed that I had to call back during regular business hours. What kind of a 24/7 number is that?

Today I called during regular business hours. During the first call, the agent did something and the connection got compromised. So I had to hang up and call again. I finally got someone to look at my account and tell me that one of my boxes needed to be replaced. The agent took care of having the self-install kit sent out.

I am a retired professional and have run my own business. I look at this rollout from Comcast/Xfinity and think it is one of the most poorly thought out an executed I have ever seen.

I know that this writeup will probably never be read by anyone with authority at Comcast, but here is my message: you need to hold whoever rolled this out accountable for a disaster.

You send me a letter with the tone that my URGENT action is required, make me waste over 2 hours of my time following useless instructions and have to make a total of 5 phone calls to get this resolved.

Whoever is responsible for sending this letter out needs to be reprimanded for it. Whatever you intended to do, the results are far from what you intended.

Comcast is a big, powerful company that wants to get bigger. We should all be worried.

New Poster

COMCAST DOES IT AGAIN!!!

I received my HD Enhanced Program letter in mail yesterday with the notice that one or more of my cable boxes needs to be upgraded. The letter gave clear instructions to go to channel 1995 and follow the on-screen instructions.

I did this on all my cable boxes and got the same result on all of them: no instructions appeared. So I went to the website address that was supposed to answer my questions and guess what? I see the same text that's in the letter. Wow that was helpful!

What the heck do I do now?

New Poster

Re: Who set this system up?

Yes, we received a letter that said we were going to enhanced HD.  We are in Portland OR.  Chelsea Audio set up our system.

Admin1

Re: HD Enhanced Program

Hello All,

Please send me a Private Message and I will help with ordering new equipment. Please send your preferred method of delivery (i.e. pick up at cable store, delivery via mail, or tech install w/ days or times that work best for you)

Click my name (ComcastZach) and click Private Message Me. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Re: Who set this system up?

Hi there- ltpdx. Where do you live? We had some technical errors a few days ago, but you should be able to access Channel 1995 now if you are in market that is going through HD Enhanced. This is only for people who have HD accounts. If you see a blackscreen or can not get to the channel please wait until you receive a letter.

If you did get a letter and are still having issues shoot me a PM and I'll assist you.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Re: HD Enhanced channel 1995

Hi there Nathan17- Sorry about this! What town/state do you live in? If you receieved a letter, try going to Channel 1995 Now. If you can't get to the channel or you see a blackscreen shoot me a PM and I'll look into it for you.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Re: COMCAST DOES IT AGAIN!!!

Sorry about this, Cbelow! Can you try this again? If it still doesn't work PM me and I can help.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

Is Comcast charging me for the enhancedHD box

Xfinity Comcast sent a letter suggesting I turn in old box for enhancedHD box to adjust to their changes. It referred to a free self install, but never said if box was free or if there was a charge. Will there be a charge for the box itself?

Regular Visitor

Is Comcast charging for the enhanced HD box?

New Poster

The new Cable Boxes.

I received a letter saying I may need new cable boxes.  One TV is not working.  I moved it to another room, used a wall cable from home depot to connect it . . . it is not working.  Do I need a new box for this TV?  Also, I called Comcast and was told to just press 1995 on the remote and something would come up to order my new box??  It didn't work.  Can you please let me know the process and if I need new boxes at all.  And let me know what is wrong with the TV that is not working, is it the box or something else?

Thank you.

Loni & Joel Kissin

Regular Visitor

Re: The new Cable Boxes.

I received this confusing letter as well.  I called in and I was told my multiple support people that not upgrading my motorola DVRs and Motorola HD boxes would not result in my losing any channels from my premier package.  Further, I was told that the only upgraded dvr boxes available to me would be X1 boxes.  I am not interested in X1.  So, this really seems to me a way to scare people into "upgrading" to the X1 system.  Again, no one at Xfinity was aware of any available upgrade from my 3416 Motorola DVRs (apart from the X1 system).  This letter came from sales.  If anyone from Xfinity can tell me of any upgrade from the Motorola 3416 apart from the X1 system, I would be interested to hear.  The letter implies you may lose some HD channels.  Customer support said that would not happen.  That you will continue to receive the channels you pay for.  Further, in my opinion, if this was a serious required conversion of boxes, it certainly wouldn't be done over a 6 week period.  It would take many months, if not a few years to complete this kind of change.  Imagine how many of these boxes are out there.

One other thing:  I went to 1995 and was told my 3416s needed to be upgraded.  No word of what kind of box they were proposing to send out or anything.  If you go to the website, all they talk about is X1.  I'm not the kind of person who just authorizes the sending to me of new boxes without some promise of what they are.  Are they going to send people X1 boxes.  Some other kind of non-X1 dvr.  If so, just tell us what we need in a letter and we could just go to a Comcast center and swap out a box.  For what we pay, if our box is obsolete, they should let us schedule free swap outs where a service technician comes out and replaces the obsolete boxes with new ones.  Let the technician horse around with activating new boxes.

New Poster

I have received notice that I may upgrade my current equipment for free.   I have several shows recorded on my old box that will not be shown ever again, and I was wondering if it would be possible to transfer data from my old box to my new one before returning the old one?

New Poster

I also received the letter but I also can find no information on the boxes to be sent to me.  Please provide us to a link to the replacement  boxes descriptions and manual with information about all of the outputs available on the box.  Otherwise, I have no clue if the replacement boses will work in my situations.

Cable Expert

Marinauser wrote:

I also received the letter but I also can find no information on the boxes to be sent to me.  Please provide us to a link to the replacement  boxes descriptions and manual with information about all of the outputs available on the box.  Otherwise, I have no clue if the replacement boses will work in my situations.

The compatable HD enhanced boxes will be most likely a DCX3400 or DCX3501 (RNG200) since there has not been anything newer purchased by Comcast.  Anything newer will be a variety of X1 DVR's.  The DCX series was just the newer & smaller DVR boxes, but similar to the DCT and DCH series that are being replaced.  The operation and guide are the same, but use the platnium remote instead of the silver remote.  You will not notice the difference except they are snapier and have larger hard drives for storage of recordings.

Everyone will lose their recordings, the only way to save is to play them real time to a DVD recorder or a capture device connected to a computer.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the informative response, JayInAlg. Those do look like the most likely boxes. I guess here in Chicago they are indeed starting to shift to mpeg4. Oh well.  I guess I'll give in and swap out 3 boxes.

Frequent Visitor

I was told there is a 7.99 per month for each new HD box. One of our existing boxes has DVR feature which I wanted to cancel but if I ordered these new boxes I would bcompletelye billed addl charges. Our bill is high enough. Comcast acts like there doing us a favor. They gouge there customers every chance they get. 

Cable Expert

813 wrote:

I was told there is a 7.99 per month for each new HD box. One of our existing boxes has DVR feature which I wanted to cancel but if I ordered these new boxes I would bcompletelye billed addl charges. Our bill is high enough. Comcast acts like there doing us a favor. They gouge there customers every chance they get. 

It's a even exchange, a older model DCT or DCH for a newer DCX or RNG box.  There is no change for the monthly fee for enhanced HD boxes.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Official Employee

Re: Is Comcast charging me for the enhancedHD box

The box is just a swap from your old box, so there is no charge associated. We are also offering Free shipping so the box can come right to you!

If you do decide to have someone come out and install it for you there is a charge associated.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Loni & Joel Kissin please PM me so I can assist you. If you are on a Comcast Set top box you should be able to tune to channel 1995.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Our general rule of thumb is that all Silver Boxes need to be swapped, but when you go to Channel 1995 on your boxes it should tell you what needs to be swapped and what doesnt. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

With certain boxes you will lose access to them in HD since the older boxes can't support the new video we are migrating to.  I would go to channel 1995 and order your new boxes by hitting "Just Replace" (not X1). We only send people X1 if they request it! 

To respond to this: One other thing:  I went to 1995 and was told my 3416s needed to be upgraded.  No word of what kind of box they were proposing to send out or anything. We will send you a "like for like "swap"

Installs are available at an additional cost, but you can order a free self install kit via the website (www.xfinity.com/hdenhanced) or channel 1995!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

Any word when South Jersey (Garden State, NJ system) will see MPEG-4 or channel 1995 added?

New Poster

Set-Top Box

I received the letter this week and was able to access channel 1995 regarding replacing my box - it says I need to do so.  My 2 questions - (1)  I'm already paying $19.95 per month for one of my current boxes - not sure how much the other one is off-hand......if I choose to upgrade my box (for free!), what is that going to do to my monthly bill?  (2) We changed our bundled package not too long ago, so I do not want to lose the price I am paying....but, I also do not want to lose certain HD channels. 

Can you tell me which HD channels I would lose and whether I would still have the same non-HD version of that channel?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Set-Top Box

Changing your box is not supposed to change what you get, or what you are paying.

Regular Visitor

Can you confirm the date this is coming to Portland, OR?

New Poster

I went to channel 1995 and ordered a new box over two weeks ago. It still hasn't arrived. So I went back on channel 1995 and it still said I needed a new box. So I ordered one again. I think the 3-5 business days is more like 3-5 weeks probably. 

Regular Contributor

Parents use DCT 700, 2500 & 6200 in Philly currently. Will these 3 boxes need to be switched out when Philly is upgraded for MPEG 4?
Cable Expert

tstack wrote:
Parents use DCT 700, 2500 & 6200 in Philly currently. Will these 3 boxes need to be switched out when Philly is upgraded for MPEG 4?

Just the 6200, the others are std def boxes and are not part of the hd enhanced program.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Ok Thank's. I guess comcast will be collecting alot of old Cable boxes when this starts in Philly.

Regular Contributor

Mod's - when this MPEG-4 takes effect in my area (Garden State, NJ) will us (Comcast customers) see additional HD or SD channels added? The only reason I have Comcast is because FIOS is not available in Mt. Laurel, NJ and Directv does not carry CSN Philly.

Official Employee

HI Tstack- we will notify you via mail when the channel is available! 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Finklejag- PM me your account number and I'll look into it.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Portland started notifying their affected customers on August 7th. If you need to swap your box, you should of received a letter. PM me if you have any other questions!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

hdenhanced

on chanel 1995 my box without hdtv is listed as good to go. Seems backwards.

Official Employee

Re: hdenhanced

hupaand- thanks for going to channel 1995. We are only targeting HD accounts, so it is not by box level. I would check all of the devices in your home to make sure nothing else needs to get swapped.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Cable Expert
Moved:

Re: HD Enhanced Program: Someone needs to be held accountable for such a pitiful roll

Regular Visitor

I ordered the self-install HDenhancement box. After it came I decided that I should have Comcast install it for me. I thought I saw the cost was about $25. I was told it was $39.99. This is too much to charge...especially for a longtime Comcast user. So I called a number given me by a chat rep. Bryan in Texas said I could get it installed free. I asked him if he understood this was an even exchange and there should be a charge. He assured me he understood all of it but he had found a way to make it a no charge installation. I scheduled an appointment. The email confirmation included a NEW monthly $19.95 charge for an additional outlet! In examining this new charge against my old bill, I found I have been paying $2.99 for an additional outlet all along. I don't have an additional outlet!  I rescheduled the appointment to give me a chance to work this out. But, I'm telling you...it it very difficult to find the right person or to have that person understand what the problem is. I just want the darn free box installed by someone who knows what they are doing and I want to pay a fair price. If I let a service person come over, I'm afraid I will be stuck with a service charge even if I tell him there is a problem and I want nothing done. How do I fix this?

Official Employee

Hey Ticagrumpy- thanks for reaching out. What market are you in? Did you try installing it yourself first? If you can PM me and send your account number I will glady look into the extra charge (though it should be discounted for 30 days until you return your old box)

Our install charges range from #39.95-$79.95 in some areas. We did waive the Self Install Shipping for this project.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

thanks for getting back to me.  After this ridiculous chain of events (Comcast telling me I would lose some channels if I didn't get the new box, and telling me it was a straight across exchange unless I had Comcast install...which translates to "you don't have to get the box, but if you don't, we are going to keep charging you but will be denying you some of what you paid for. And if you screw up the self install, or the equipment we send is faulty, then you have to pay for us to come install equipment so you can receive what you have rightfully paid for." And this includes no new service for the customer. The only real benefit to the new box is getting to keep what you already have.

At that point I decided to do the self install myself, and cancel the tech. Installing was easy. Activation not so much. I called for tech help. After many tries, I am informed that the box Comcast sent is faulty. I need to pay a tech. Because Comcast doesn't have adequate quality control? Even for items they use to hold you hostage? I told them no. I would return the new box and look for a new provider. We have a choice her in the Portland, Oregon area. NO ONE seemed to know anything about this HDenhancement project. I made one more call to review my billing and get the extra charges off. This one was in the Pacific NW and even he didn't fully know...I read him the letter. I think with his help, I have got this issue resolved satisfactorily. But, until the rooster crows, I won't REALLY know if it is or not. 

The lengthy response is purely so customers and employees alike can recognize that left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing. Be prepared to have trouble with activation and be forced to pay a ransom to get your service back to normal. Customers beware and Comcast....you can surely do better than this!

New Poster

I updated my new box last night.  It was a like for a newer like dvr swap.  Smaller than the original.  No additional charge.  One question though, I went this morning to try to set up my programs to have the DVR record and the guide isn't totally updated yet??  Even as early as this Saturday (today is Thursday) it is still showing TBA programs so I can find them on Title search yet?!?  Any idea how long before the guide will be fully loaded?!?

Official Employee

Hi Mikerrie- did you install your new box last night? I would give it a few more hours. If it doesn't work, unplug the box and plug it back in or reboot. It usually works!

If you're still having an issue in a few hours, PM me your account number and I'll investigate.

Thanks for reaching out.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Will do...thanks Jenn.  I figured I would check again when I get home from work as that will have added another 9 hours or so.  Thanks again.  No other problems on my end. Smiley Happy

Official Employee

I'm glad to hear your swap went well otherwise! Sounds good about checking when you get home. Keep me posted.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I requested a new HD box on 8/30/15.  When can I expect delivery?

Official Employee

Hey Williamtodd- shoot me your Service Address or Account number and I'll look into it. You should of certainly received it now, but once I have that I can investigate.

Thanks for reaching out.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Re: HD Enhanced Program: Someone needs to be held accountable for such a pitiful roll

TO: rsc2277

RE: Critique of HD Enhance Program Instructions

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT. YOU WERE RIGHT ON IN YOUR CRITIQUE. SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR SUCH A PITIFUL ROLL OUT. IN THE MEANTIME, WHATA CAN WE DO?

New Poster

" If you don't see the channel or see a blackscreen, please wait until you receive a letter with your information on this when this is happening in your area." 

You canot change your boxes if the service is not available in your area yet, so if you cannot see the channel 1995 then you just have to wait for a letter... which will be sent only when the service is available... whenever that may be.  But just because you can't see the channel translates into running to the nearest center and asking for new boxes. I think that is what the post from ComcastFancisc is saying.