New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Guide changed from 16:9 to 4:3.

ANSWERED
New Poster

Guide changed from 16:9 to 4:3.

Hey everyone,

Just woke up this morning and turned on the TV and it seems as though the on-screen guide has changed to 4:3 format. I know that I did nothing to change this as it was in 16:9 last night when I went to bed. I went to the menu and looked through the settings, but I don't see an option anywhere to change it to 16:9. Any information would be a great help. Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Guide changed from 16:9 to 4:3.

dsmurray174 wrote:

So are we 'Stuck' with 4:3 or is Comcast going to fix this 4:3 guide issue?  Comcast you there?  Anyone?... Anyone?...Bueller'

As posted earlier in the thread:

When on an HD channel and with this guide update for Cisco and SA branded cable boxes, the guide overlays are now displayed in a 4:3 format instead of stretching to a 16:9 format. We heard from many customers that with the previous guide that having the guide auto-stretch to 16:9 on an HD channel made it very hard to read the text and made the fonts very "bitmappy" and overly accentuated the font aliasing especially on larger TV sets.

The 4:3 guide experience when on an HD channel is consistent with what the majority of our customers have had for some time. More information on the guide in general and the new features can be found at the link below: http://www.xfinity.com/meetyourguide

View answer in context
Cable Expert

Please post the model of the cable box.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Mine too...Motorola RNG200N/3501M

30306 ATL GA 

Cable Expert

Are you both running your HDMI through a AV receiver?  That was a content problem with some AVR's and the DCX3400's a while ago.

Never turning off the DVR did help some subs.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Same problem Cisco RNG200N in Minneapolis market. Any suggestions?
Regular Visitor

I'm having the exact same problem. Incredibly frustrating! Any ideas? What can I do?

Additionally, when I access OnDemand, it looks like there's a 4:3 superimposed over the normal full-screen - very distracting, very annoying, and I didn't do anything when I went to bed last night to change this.

Regular Visitor

I have what looks like a Cisco RNG 150?

New Poster

I am having the same problem with the guide aspect ratio.  Today it's 4:3 for some reason and I cannot find any option to change it.

Cisco RGN200N

Minneapolis market.

Silver Problem Solver

two things to try.  see if someone hit the zoom button on the remote

with the box off press menu in there you set the way you want the screen to look. 

Regular Visitor

The screen itself looks exactly the same - it's just when I hit 'guide' that there's a problem.

New Poster

I think this is a case where it is a feature rather than a bug. The guide is supposed to be 4:3. Previously, the guide was stretched to 16:9 on the Cisco boxes here in Minneapolis, but it looks like Comcast's finally pushed through an upgrade so that it is displayed in its normal 4:3 aspect ratio.

Regular Visitor

Okay but that looks awful as it literally shrinks the picture when I'm using the guide and then pops back out to full-screen when I exit. Additionally, there's the weird overlay that happens when I go to on demand. Is there a way to change it back? It looks really bad...

New Poster

Hi,

Original topic poster here...

I am also in the Minneapolis / St. Louis Park market. I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD. It seems like many of us in the Minneapolis area are experiencing the same issue. I really wish they would have just stuck with the stretched guide or allow for an option to revert back to the stretched guide. Oh well, cross my fingers for Google Fiber to come here.

New Poster

I am having the same issue here in CT.  It looks awful and is hard to read.  Happened when I woke up this morning and I can't find a way to change it.

Regular Visitor

Yes, I'm so happy to see a post about this. I noticed before I went to bed, (Aug 14) my box did a firmware update. So when I got home from work today, I too noticed the guide and info was 4:3 and not 16:9 fullscreen. I live in Ct here and I hate it! I chatted with a live comcast tech and nothing he told me helped. They need to put the 16:9 aspect back! Why would they remove it?!

Frequent Visitor

Also in CT and have the same issue.

Frequent Visitor

Has anyone noticed any improvements that the update made?

Regular Visitor

Same thing here, Minneapolis. C'mon Comcst fix it please.

New Poster

Found a fix:

Power down your box, and with the POWER OFF hit HD zoom on your remote.

You'll get a resolution setup wizard that lets you enable/disable certain resolutions. After goign through the steps it's back to 16:9

Regular Visitor

"Fix" still doesn't make guide come up 16:9 and on demand still isn't working right

New Poster

It did for me.  Be sure you "select" and turn on all resolutions that you can see the screen on.  It isn;t presented well and it pretty confusing as to what you are supposed to do.

Regular Visitor

Seems like a software problem. Have the same problem as of this morning on our SA 8300HD box here in CT.

I was hoping it meant that we had received a guide update and finally had access to the MyDVR feature but alas still not available. The tiny guide and On Demand screens would have been bearable in trade for some of the new features we've been waiting 3 years for like MyDVR & On Screen Caller ID.

At least we get to watch the commercials about these great features often.

Edit: I take it all back.. we got MyDVR Manager!! Woo hoo!

Frequent Visitor

We (in Mpls) have a Cisco box ... same change as you've all noted.  We called Customer Service yesterday and got a woman who said (1) the overlay on the on-demand box eventually will go away, as they did one update and now have to do another to fix it ... sometime in the next week? and (2) the 4:3 guide will stay that way.  When asked why, she said it was  because "We're matching what we do in St. Paul."  When I mentioned how awful it looks on a wide screen, she replied that others really like the way it looks.

When we asked to speak with a technicial, she said we would not talk to a technician, that she was technical support, and she was telling us the answers.

In our opinion, the answers are horrible, and not understandable.  The Mpls system on our TV has been rebotted so much lately, we're beginning to think of different options!

Frequent Visitor

...you know this does't work on the newer Motorola RNG200N boxes w the dark grey Remotes, right?  Tried it 4x, and the HD Zoom button does nothing (box powered off or on..)
must be for one of the older SA boxes but it no workee here.

Frequent Visitor

Same problem here... I'm in CT using a Cisco ring150 top box.  Using the HD zoom, tried every conceivable configuration with NO success.  Originally asked the On-line chat for technical assistance on two occasions.  They were absolutely no help.  One Comcast employee refreshed my signal, the other one said there was loss of service in my area which there was not... Glad I finally checked in here.  At the very least you would hope Comcast would inform us of a change or have their technical team informed.

That said; are we stuck with this 4:3 Guide???

New Poster

why dosen't comcast monitor these posts and  reply to our concerns.  I have same problem in CT.  Also - why no sleep timer???

Official Employee

tvwatcherinconn wrote:

why doesn't comcast monitor these posts and  reply to our concerns.  I have same problem in CT.  Also - why no sleep timer???

Thanks for your questions and feedback.

Sleep Timer went away some time ago (Summer 2010 in CT).

For our customers with Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded HD cable boxes; there has been a slight change in the latest version of the guide (currently available in CT, MN and LA).

When on an HD channel and this guide, the guide overlays are now displayed in a 4:3 format instead of stretching to a 16:9 format. 

We heard from many customers that with the previous guide that having the guide auto-stretch to 16:9 on an HD channel made it very hard to read the text and made the fonts very "bitmappy" and overly accentuated the font aliasing especially on larger TV sets. 

The 4:3 guide experience when on an HD channel is consistent with what the majority of our customers have had for some time.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I think most of us didn't have a problem with the guide stretching to 16x9 and while you had some people complain, now I can't see the guide as clear in 4x3. Please change it back or give us the option. 

Do you beta test your changes before you assume that your changes are better? 

Regular Visitor

Yeah, ok, but...I never had those issues, and now it's like NOTHING looks right on my screen. Between the guide shrinking the screen each time, the weird OnDemand overlay and all my OnDemand programs suddenly not fitting properly when I watch, this is an INCREDIBLY disappointing change. I wish you could give us the option to change back if we want – and seriously, you made these 'upgrades' without notifying anyone?? I thought my machine was broken!!

Official Employee

lisgrace wrote:

Yeah, ok, but...I never had those issues, and now it's like NOTHING looks right on my screen. Between the guide shrinking the screen each time, the weird OnDemand overlay and all my OnDemand programs suddenly not fitting properly when I watch, this is an INCREDIBLY disappointing change. I wish you could give us the option to change back if we want – and seriously, you made these 'upgrades' without notifying anyone?? I thought my machine was broken!!

lisgrace, yes, for your specific issue there is a fix. Thanks for reporting this issue.

There is an observed issue with the new guide where in certain conditions (when the User settings are set to Stretch) the new guide introduces an unusual guide overlay and experience when in On Demand.

In order to get out of this state and to a better experience, the customer would need to modify their user settings; this should be a one-time change. 

1. To access user settings, turn OFF your set-top box; it will remain in standby mode.

2. Press GUIDE on your remote while the set-top box is in standby mode. OR press Channel Up + Channel Down simultaneously on the front panel of the set-top box.

3. From here you can set up your video settings and resolution output.

􀁳 Video Settings — Configure the settings to your TV type.

4:3 Letterbox, 4:3 PAN/SCAN or 16:9 wide-screen.

􀁳 Resolution Output — Configure the HDMI/YPbPr output

to either 480p std, 480i std, Pass Thru 1080i.

􀁳 4:3 Override — Options are Off, 480p, 480i, Stretch. Changing the 4:3 Override to any option other than Stretch mode should solve the issue described above.  

4. Use the arrow buttons near the center of your remote to select the appropriate settings.

Let me know if that solves your issue, thanks!

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I've tried all possible 4.3 override configurations, non solved the problem. 

Official Employee

mistermike24 wrote:

I've tried all possible 4.3 override configurations, non solved the problem. 

Are you having the same issue with On Demand specifically as lisgrace described or something else?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds wrote:

Are you having the same issue with On Demand specifically as lisgrace described or something else?

Let me clarify, my issue is strictly with the 4.3 screen for the TV Guide.

Official Employee

mistermike24 wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

Let me clarify, my issue is strictly with the 4.3 screen for the TV Guide.

Ok, yes that solution I posted was specific to the On Demand issue that she described.

One thing you can check is in the user settings (steps outlined above) is to change the 4:3 override to 480p, that should have a full screen guide and info bar when on SD channels and the other experience when on HD channels.   

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I have the SA8300 DVR box and hate the 'new' guide aspec ratio 4:3.  Why not give users a choice?  I have no issue with the 16:9 guide.  Can it be changed back?

Cheers

New Poster

Just happened in Massachusetts (2012)...Most people won't notice the 'software' upgrade change that caused this...but when their expensive Flat Screen HD tv's develop 'burn-in' issues caused by these annoying black lines one the righ& left sides of HD commercials & programs etc., etc, as well as watching non-HD channels they will be wondering what caused the 'burn-in's'...they will be forced to buy new tv's.

All tech savy people who have noticed this issue should file a CLASS ACTION lawsuit to make comcast pay for customer's new tv's if their old one's have 'burn-in' issues.

I have contacted comcast & asked them to 'roll-back' this current software update so this issue can be corrected....but they say they cannot do that....They really do not know or realize the problem they have created.

Furthermore, why would we want to buy HD tv's that can display all programming in 16.9 aspect ratio  then have some programing display in 4.3 aspect ratio!!!!!!!! 

Contributor

I am also in Massachusetts and noticed that an overlay at the top of the screen which used to be on and off quickly when changing from HD to SD channels now comes on for much longer and also when you first turn on the TV it seems "deeper" on the top of the screen.  I am not quite sure what you mean by those black side bars - but I will watch to see if I notice them. I checked all the HDTV (Sony Bravia) menu settings and this does not seem to be part of any of those menus.  I am not sure what might have changed in the cable box (DCX3400) settings but do not want to go into that to try to change things. So far my HD channels are filling the screen in programming and commercials both. However, now and then I think I see a smaller picture with black around it when I used to see a fuller picture. Is this what you mean?

New Poster

Depends on where u live in MA...The software upgrade  was done in the Boston area a few months ago...They did the upgrade in South Eastern, MA last week...if u live in Centeral or Western, MA the upgrade may have not been done yet....but it will & u will notice the difference (black bars on the right & left side of menu & guide screens as well as some commercials in HD and on non-HD channels)

Contributor

southeastern MA here. Yes, I see black sides on VOD menu and guide menu. We seldom watch anything but HD channels and so far those seem to be normal (as before, that is).  In this upgrade, the also changed an option in the recording menu - when you click on a scheduled recording, choose the icon for VIEW UPCOMING of that program, instead of the old way of it showing only UPCOMING from the date of that scheduled one, now it gives you the upcoming from the day is actually is when you click it. (ex: scheduled recording 12/10 - now you see from 12/3 forward everytime you click VIEW UPCOMING from that  bottom menu). That is so dumb. 

Also super annoying is the fact that that grey overlay on the top of the screen saying HDMI, 1080, etc. is deeper, stays longer, and you can't see the top half of the screen clearly for up to 30 seconds. UGH.  I wrote elsewhere in this forum and got no real response except "live with it". 

The other thing I notice is now there is an outline box around the channel names/numbers as you type them in and the name of a channel for the first 2 numbers out of 3 will appear as you are typing - like for 842 you get some name as the 84 is typed, then when you finish 842 CNN comes in the outline before it goes off the screen. Not a big deal, but why waste energy on this?

Frequent Visitor

The Motorola boxes in my area have been like that for years. The guide is 4:3 on HD channels and streached to 16:9 on SD channels. However the HD channel itself still is in 16:9 HD. It's never made sense to me. If you ask me, a whole new guide is long over due! This one http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2 looks a lot better. But never seen anything about an update.

Contributor

Interesting link - who gets it - what boxes?  I guess we will never know since there is nothing on that page to indicate any of it.

New Poster

It applies to all of the Motorola HD boxes used by Comcast....Their Digital boxes are not affected.

New Poster

ComcastTeds wrote:

tvwatcherinconn wrote:

why doesn't comcast monitor these posts and  reply to our concerns.  I have same problem in CT.  Also - why no sleep timer???

Thanks for your questions and feedback.

Sleep Timer went away some time ago (Summer 2010 in CT).

For our customers with Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded HD cable boxes; there has been a slight change in the latest version of the guide (currently available in CT, MN and LA).

When on an HD channel and this guide, the guide overlays are now displayed in a 4:3 format instead of stretching to a 16:9 format. 

We heard from many customers that with the previous guide that having the guide auto-stretch to 16:9 on an HD channel made it very hard to read the text and made the fonts very "bitmappy" and overly accentuated the font aliasing especially on larger TV sets. 

The 4:3 guide experience when on an HD channel is consistent with what the majority of our customers have had for some time.

I understand that this isn't your fault in particular, but have the fine people at Comcast realized that this is the year 2012 (almost 2013!), that HD is kind of a "thing" these days, and that they might want to consider implementing an on-screen guide that takes advantage of it? 

For reference, DirecTV (one of your competitors) has an excellent guide that's a joy to use. In comparison, Comcast has a guide that looks like a DOS program from 1994, is slow, laggy, infuriating, shows very little detail about the listings, and only shows 4 at a time. Every time I have to use the guide in any capacity beyond quickly flipping through my favorites list, I hate myself for signing the contract just a little bit more. 

I'm aware that you guys are working on "Onscreenguide 2". Apparently this wild new feature, a decade in the making, is slowly "rolling out" to select areas in select states. If I were to ask "Is it coming to Albuquerque any time soon?" the response I assume I'll get is something like "We are currently investigating the possibility of implementing our revolutionary, exclusive new 'HD guide' feature to your area. Unfortunately, we can't tell you when it might be coming except maybe 2013! By the way, have you realized that you'll only be able to access our new guide if you subscribe to our AnyRoom DVR service?" 

Until that happens, could you maybe just get your one graphics dude to spit out a couple 1920x1080 JPGs and push it to our cable boxes? 

Official Employee

ashbroke wrote:

Interesting link - who gets it - what boxes?  I guess we will never know since there is nothing on that page to indicate any of it.

The following Comcast areas that use Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes have On-Screen Guide 2.0 available: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana and Minnesota.

New Mexico and Texas are scheduled for early 2013.

A subscription to AnyRoom DVR is required. We would need to professionally install new cable boxes. On-Screen Guide 2.0 includes DVR Manager, Caller ID to the TV and many other new features. More info here: http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

We don't plan on offering On-Screen Guide 2.0 in any additional areas than what I have already listed above.  

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is a way to introduce significant improvements and new features (including AnyRoom DVR) to our customers in many areas of our Cisco footprint (delivering to multiple markets in several states now instead of waiting another full year). Our Cisco areas historically have lagged behind our Motorola areas when it comes to new video products and features.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is a short term bridge as we work to get our On-Screen Guide 3.0 (the X1 Experience) into more areas this year and into 2013.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

On-Screen Guide 3.0 http://xfinity.comcast.net/x1/

The long term plan is to get all of our newest cable boxes (regardless of hardware manufacturer or geography) onto a common more advanced on-screen guide starting in 2013 to provide a more consistent experience.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

@Fallom, Albuquerque is scheduled to have On-Screen Guide 2.0 available in early 2013.

A subscription to AnyRoom DVR is required. We would need to professionally install new cable boxes. On-Screen Guide 2.0 includes DVR Manager, Caller ID to the TV and many other new features. More info here: http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is a way to introduce significant improvements and new features (including AnyRoom DVR) to our customers in some of our Cisco footprint (delivering to multiple markets in several states now instead of waiting another full year). Our Cisco areas historically have lagged behind our Motorola areas when it comes to new video products and features.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is a short term bridge as we work to get our On-Screen Guide 3.0 (the X1 Experience) into more areas this year and into 2013.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

On-Screen Guide 3.0 http://xfinity.comcast.net/x1/

The long term plan is to get all of our newest cable boxes (regardless of hardware manufacturer or geography) onto a common more advanced on-screen guide starting in 2013 to provide a more consistent experience. Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

This just happened to me yesterday in Houston. The onscreen guide and info panels all changed from 16:9 to 4:3.  It's the same info but now smaller and thus harder to read. Hey Comcast, instead of making these unilateral changes, how about giving us the choice to display it how we want?

New Poster

I concur that this new push to 4:3 for the guide is a stupid move.  There is no reason not to allow a setting for us to get the guide in 16:9 so we don't have black bars on both sides like the 'OLD' days.  A simple setting in the cable box guide setup section would have been an easy implemention so that everyone can be happy.  Im sure the 3 people you surveyed that like this 4:3 look are probably closer to retirement than the masses and won't care if you give us under 50's crowd a choice.

New Poster

I noticed the 4:3 guide today as well. Nothing I found changes it. I have to agree the world is not moving toward 4:3, everything HD is 16:9, I prefer a full screen guide, it is annoying when it switches back and forth. 

Frequent Visitor

Comcast plz fix

Regular Contributor

The 4:3 is terrible. I could tolerate the non-HD 16:9 guide. 

Comcast needs to catch up with the other providers and offer a guide that is in HD to all customers....

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats