Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Digital upgrade on 1-18-12 - Now I can't use my Panasonic DVR!!!!!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 1 of 6

Anyone know how to hook up my personal DVR to the Comcast DVR or Comcast adapter so I can record on it again.??????Since the upgrade  yesterday now my DVR shows a Comcast screen that says I have to call or get a comcast device to receive this channel. I HAVE these Comcast devices, now I just can't record on my personal Panasonic DVR anymore. One tech said I cant record on both at the same time, but I have for the past 3 years. Another said there was no one at Comcast that could help. The last said they were not allowed to help if it was about my personal equipment. What a crock! Anyone out there that can help??? Otherwise, I now have 2 very expensive DVR paperweights!

5 REPLIES
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 2 of 6

you cannot hook up your personal dvr to a comcast dvr.  Why would you you have the comcast dvr.

The dta free boxes are meant for older tube type tv's with no digital tuner to be able to downgrade the govt mandated digital signal back to analog.  They are not meant for today's tv's. 

If you have a dta box what you do is run the cable from the wall to the dta, go out of the dta to the dvr recorder that you own then go to the tv.  That way you should be able to record, but you can only record what channel the dta is set to, that eliminates any timer recordings, as you would need to be there to physically change the channel.  

Do you need the dta box, just because you got one do you need it.  if you plug just your cable into the tv like your old set up does it still work.  If it does just roll with it until they  encrypt everything. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 6

Your problem with your DVR is the same as the one I described earlier with HD ready tv's. Comcast is in the process of encrypting their new digital signals. The by product of that is that you must have a comcast digital device.  As previously explained , until the encryption, you can bypass the DTA and continue to use your DVR and TV's built in QAM reciever. However, once Comcast encrypts their signal, only a registered decoder (which comcasts DTA's are) can give you access to their network. ..

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 4 of 6

I figured it was probably a new scam by Comcast to make us pay them for everything for the rest of our lives.Apparently it's already encrypted, because we not get nothng on our 1 TV without a Comcast box. It was hooked directly in to the cable .  I'm already online researching other options.  This is the last straw. I'm so disgusted with Comcast & all their games.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 5 of 6

Jagerwolf wrote:

Your problem with your DVR is the same as the one I described earlier with HD ready tv's. Comcast is in the process of encrypting their new digital signals. The by product of that is that you must have a comcast digital device.  As previously explained , until the encryption, you can bypass the DTA and continue to use your DVR and TV's built in QAM reciever. However, once Comcast encrypts their signal, only a registered decoder (which comcasts DTA's are) can give you access to their network. ..

If Comcast is doing the "encrypt everything" shouldn't they be supplying those customers with the new HD-DTA boxes so they can still get their local stations in HD on their HD TVs?  Is there a Comcast site where we can get official information on this "encrypt everything" process?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 6 of 6

I never seen it on any comcast site but it indeed is being done, not just by comcast buy by all cable companies.   There is also no news about any HD DTA.  For now the best thing to do is keep the wire to your tv if you can, or get the dta with an A/B switch which comcast will supply, and use an OTA antenna to get your local HD.