Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Ddigital converter boxes that are compatible with Comcast equipment

Regular Contributor

Ddigital converter boxes that are compatible with Comcast equipment

Is it possible to purchase a digital converter box that is compatible or equal to the digital converter box that Comcast provides.  If so, can anyone recommend one.  Thanks.

kathyjoe
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ddigital converter boxes that are compatible with Comcast equipment

Only things you'd be able to purchase are cable card enabled devices, like tivos, PC tuner cards, etc. But you'd still be paying a leasing fee to Comcast for the Cable Card, usually $2.50 less.

Regular Contributor

Re: Digital converter boxes that are compatible with Comcast equipment

Thanks for the response, John3758.  I had talked to a Customer Service Rep at Comcast a few weeks back and they told me I could purchase one at Best Buy or Walmart.  I was looking for feedback on the forum to see if anyone else had an experience with purchasing their own dc box. I know it’s possible to purchase your own modem and or router.  I also see Comcast converter boxes on Ebay, but until I know that they are compatible and legitimate dc boxes, I don’t want to do that.

Hoping that someone else can share any experience they may have.  Thanks again!
kathyjoe
Cable Expert

Like John posted, any customer owned device still needs a cable card which has a 7.45 a month charge unless it's your primary box on the account.

Motorola, Scientific Atlanta, Cisco & Pace cable boxes were never sold at retail in the US, so any cable boxes on auction sites can have a questionable source.  Canadian sourced cable boxes will not work on US systems.

As mentioned, the only retail cable card devices are Tivo's and one Samsung smart media player.  Tivo's have their own monthly or lifetime service fee also, those are available at Best Buy, Wal-Mart and at Tivo.com

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-ray-dvd/GX-SM530CF/XAA

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Silver Problem Solver

The boxes you see on ebay and other sites may have been legit boxes for the original owner, but the owner likely did not have the right to sell it, as the equipment is tied to the seller's account. They are responsible for returning it to Comcast upon disconnecting service. Comcast will not activate a box that was sold on ebay or other sites as they consider it stolen.

Those boxes are probably coming from disgruntled customers, or customers who didn't pay their bill and were charged unreturned equipment fees and are just trying to make up those unreturned equipment fees or make a profit.

Regular Contributor

John3758  and JayInAlg:

And I don't suppose Comcast sells these for a onetime charge......just looking for ways to bring my cable bill down.  Comcast finds a way to raise my bill each month.  Last month went up $1.00 and this month up another 1.00 plus.  Before you know it, it's up $10.00 more. 

Will have to find another way to bring it down. Thank you both for responding to my question.

kathyjoe
Official Employee

kathyjoe wrote:

Is it possible to purchase a digital converter box that is compatible or equal to the digital converter box that Comcast provides.  If so, can anyone recommend one.  Thanks.

Just to add some links for review: 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Can-I-buy-my-own-DVR-or-cable-box/td-p/2401979

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/what-is-cablecard/

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation