SOLVED
6 REPLIES
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 1 of 7 (1,141 Views)

Re: DVR

Queen-Evie wrote:

edpeters wrote:

Comcast is not a GREEN company, apparently they have never heard of hibernate or standby (like PCs).

That should be directed at the box manufacturer. Comcast doesn't make the boxes. They supply what someone else makes.

I was under the impression that Comcast/Xfinity (as the customer to those companies) presented them with the specifications for the converter boxes.  Now, I can understand in the initial start to the going digital Comcast would have to rely on old technology, but I would also expect that they would spec. the new boxes to be not only "user" friendly, but also "environmentally" friendly..   I'm sorry, I keep thinking that Comcast/Xfinity actaully cares about something other than the bottom line, and therefor maintains its status at the bottom of customer service and technology....

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2 of 7 (1,212 Views)

edpeters wrote:

Comcast is not a GREEN company, apparently they have never heard of hibernate or standby (like PCs).

That should be directed at the box manufacturer. Comcast doesn't make the boxes. They supply what someone else makes.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 3 of 7 (1,215 Views)

add to that all of ATT, Verizon, Dishtv boxes that do the same thing and then look what that adds up to.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 4 of 7 (1,226 Views)

edpeters wrote: Comcast is not a GREEN company ...

Nope. With around 20 million TV customers, and if each has just one cable box, and each box uses about 20 watts 24/7/365, that's 400,000,000 watts, or 400,000 kilowatts, or 400 megawatts, the size of a small commercial power plant, just to power cable boxes that most of the time are doing . . . well, pretty much nothing.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 5 of 7 (1,252 Views)

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 6 of 7 (1,307 Views)

A set top box or a DVR is on all the time, when you turn it off, it doesn't really turn off.  A DVR has a hard drive and a fan inside just like a computer, so those are always running.  They are always buffering the live TV and recording to the drive.

If you have a Motorola DVR, the older silver large ones run hotter than the new ones, but even the new ones need open space around all sides and air flow.  You might want to try and exchange it for a newer DCX3400 (the "black" DVR) at your local office as it will run slightly cooler.  These boxes do need air around them, and will fail or error out if they overheat.

Community Icon
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 7 of 7 (1,293 Views)

DVR

I just had a DVR hooked up and the box runs really hot & when I turn off my TV & DVR I can still hear the motor running is this normal ? This is kinda  concerning to me , I have to leave the cabinet door open so it can vent the heat out. Also the box that was hooked up was used because it was scratched.!