Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

DVR issues since Xfinity migration

New Poster

DVR issues since Xfinity migration

Hi! In addition to PiP being dropped, I've had these issues on the SA-8300 (non-HD) box since the upgrade to Xfinity on March 1. I haven't seen topics on these (if I missed them, please post the URLs and I'll query there). Has anyone else been able to resolve?

Thanks!

• Every program I'd recorded between 10/13 and 3/1 was deleted from the DVR with the software push.
  • I've had to manually reset all of my programs that were set to "never delete" to be saved until "I delete" -- they defaulted to save until "space is needed"
  • I can no longer manually set my recording time for a program to begin or end a few minutes before or after the program's scheduled time
  • I can no longer "skip to end" on a recorded program

These were all features I used regularly, so I'm disappointed in the "upgrades."

Also, there is now an audible buzz on the feed even when programming is muted.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR issues since Xfinity migration

I can only address the the last two.  You can set a time to run long or start early by going to the other options for this program when setting up a series recording.   You cannot skip to the end, that was an old feature that I think people with scientific atlantic boxes had, I just forward to the end using the FF function.  There is no xfinity upgrade, they are just changing the name.  Welcome to what the rest of us have had for the past ten years.

Regular Visitor

Also how do I turn the DVR off and still record my programs, every time I try to turn it off it stops my recording, this is worthless.

Silver Problem Solver

you cannot, you have to leave it on all the time, it does not draw that much power.

Regular Visitor

Thank you allways somthing new.

New Poster

Since the "upgrade" my DVR is no longer searchable by date.  When I search by title it will only let me see the non-HD channel for a certain program.  I tried to forward on the tv listings and find the program I want to record but I could only progress two days from today.  Making it more frustrating is that I have called Comcast twice and could not make the people on the phone understand what my problem is.  All I get is "unplug the box and wait 20 minutes".

New Poster

Ever since the new xfinity change I have been encountering numerous problems. Problems I never had before the update. I can live with most of the new issues even tho they're very annoying but there's one that started today that I just cant. When ever I'm watching any program and pause it even for a second it goes to a black screen and I can no longer watch that show unless I switch chanels and come back which causes me to lose all progress. I cant access any shows or movies that I am currently recording or even anything I previously recorded in the past, all it shows is a black screen and nothing happens?? I really dont like the new change I just wish there was an option to change it back to how it used to be, it was simple and atleast everything worked.

I have been a comcast customer for a very long time and always liked the service, I don't necessarily want too but if these problems persist I might just have to switch to something else.

Can someone PLEASE help me with this?

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

Unplug the box and plug it back in, then wait for the guide data to come back and then check to see how things are. 

Regular Contributor

Hi, I know exactly what you are going through. I have the "black screen" issue as well. It is extremely frustrating. I sent the following on a different blog site,

"I am having trouble with Xfinity as follows: when I am recording a show
via the guide and I am on that channel when it starts recording all is
good, until I try to watch a show previously recorded. When the DVR
switches over to the previously recorded show, it seems to stop
recording the show that was set up to record. This has happened several
times (both when I am recording one or two shows) where when I finish
watching the previously recorded show and push delete, it attempts to
switch me back to the other channel that should be recording and it is
just a black screen. I am usually then able to then push "live" and get
the screen back, but if I go to then watch the recorded version of the
channel, the recorded show is cut off at the point I had started
watching the previously recorded show. Have not figured out if this has
something to do with the HD channels only. It also happened to me when
I did not realize that two shows were recording, I tried to change to a
channel not being recorded, got the option to switch to the other
recording show, when I did it stopped recording both shows. Very
strange. In one instance I recorded a 4 hour baseball game. When I went
to watch it, the location bar started at 0 and went to 4 hours, but
after watching 1 hour and 37 minutes of the show, the bar magically
changed the end time to 240 minutes, which is when it stopped recording
and cut off the end (DVR was not full, only at 45%). Not sure if it is
operator error, box error, or software errors. Had a friend say it has
happened to her only once. Thoughts?"

I received an email from Comcast asking for my phone number and that they would have someone contact me regarding the issue. The person that called me back did not even know that you could record two programs while watching a previously recorded program. It was horrible. She told me someone more knowledgeable will be calling me back. Will see if that happens.

Let me know if you have figured anything out about the black screen issue. Seems to happen to me almost every night.

Regular Contributor

Ok, since my previous post I did receive a call back from a Comcast person that seemed more knowledgeable. My issue is not a "known issue". I was surprised to find the "black screen" was not common or even on their radar. They are sending updated software to my box, which of course I am going to unplug for 20 seconds when I get home and hope that it will resolve the issue. The next course of action is swapping the box to see if it continues to happen. Anyway, if anyone out there is having the black screen issues, let us know. The more I hear the better my discussions with technical support.

Regular Contributor

As expected, unplugging and plugging back in after 20 seconds did not resolve my issue. Received the black screen of death again last night. Ugh.

Contributor

I just wrote this in response to similar problem elsewhere on this forum but it is every bit as appropriate here!

HELLO - IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE FROM COMCAST LISTENING??

If there is, then you should absorb everything that we have said on this forum and take the following action:

1.  Tell your telephone contact reps, when getting a report of this type of problem,  that they are to stop giving the useless and intellectually insulting instructions to reboot the box or exchange the box.  We are well past that.

2.  Recognize that you have a bona fide design problem here (among others) and get your software design engineers on the job at once.  Correct these problems before your customers start demanding a refund for services not rendered.  They may also just completely give up on Comcast and seek service elsewhere

New Poster

DVR - Problem after problem after "upgrade"

It all worked perfectly. It was easy to use, and worked pretty well. Then ---- it happened. The "upgrade" to my DVR. First, PIP was gone without warning. Then, huge, obtrusive pop-ups telling me things that didn't make sense -  "Do you want to change the channel when recording starts or cancel the recording?"  NEITHER.  This is a two-tuner DVR. It didn't USED to ask this question because it is SENSELESS.  RECORDING HAS ENDED blocking the screen for way too long. So what?  WHo cares anyway -- It's a TWO TUNER DVR. Then, there was the "power off will cancel" warning  when we hit the macro "power off" button to turn everything off. Another thing gone wrong. The huge channel-guide is now clumsy and ameturish to scroll through, not to mention the undesirable ads.  Then we found we could no longer scroll back to see the last hour or two like we could. Next it was the inability to smoothly set recordings without using the new obtuse interface. There are a dozen or more things that are wrong or just don't work after the "upgrade"    All of that was annoying, yet managable, until yesterday.  Now,  the new DVR software decided to simply NOT record some scheduled programs last night. There was room on the disk, my wife and I both checked that they were scheduled. But when we checked later in the night, the recording we simply not done. THIS was a first.    This has been an amazing journey from something that worked simply, effectively, and rather pleasantly to an awful nighmare.  Why doesn't someone at Comcast back off this ridiculous "upgrade?" If the idea is to irritate, frustrate, and ultimately drive away customers, then that would be the only success in this purported "upgrade"

New Poster

Re: DVR - Problem after problem after "upgrade"

I HATE this DVR upgrade.  On several recorded programs, it shows the entire program recorded and when it gets part way in, the bar skips to the end and has not recorded the entire show even though it says that it recorded for an hour.  This is unacceptable service.

The guide to record is also very poorly designed.  I much preferred the old system which was much more user friendly (and no, this has nothing to do with 'change being hard or taking time to adjust'.  There are definite problems with the new system and it should not have been rolled out until it was tested better.

New Poster

Yes, I am having the same exact problemIt keeps happeningPlease let me know if they have found a solution to your problemI am sure it is not the box that it is in fact the upgrade.

New Poster

I have had about 98% of the problems you guys have already stated. I have been a loyal customer to Comcast and have paid my bill ahead of time for years now. I was satisfied with service before this upgrade and use to brag to others how I have never had a problem with Comcast. I spend almost $250 a month on Cable, Internet & Phone (2 lines) and have no problem with that as long as I get what I'm paying for. If they do not fix this issue soon I am defninitely leaving. 

Contributor

I couldn't have said it better. It isn't only the guide... I can no longer use the power button on the remote because I now have to leave the DVR on all the time. I have not tried to watch something else while recording a program.. is that a problem? I used to be able to record two programs while watching something already recorded. I may be able to get used to the guide but the DVR has become much less useful. I cannot figure out how to change the day on the guide either... I wonder where cable TV gets it's poor cutomer service reputation. Sorry I can offer no answers to your problems but perhaps you can find solace in the knowledge that I am just as happy with these "improvements" ...(has the government taken over Comcast... that would explain why the "improvements" just make things worse).

Julien

Silver Problem Solver

You do not have to leave the dvr on all the time.  If you have it off and a show is going to record it will turn on then turn off when its over.  You do have to leave it on if its recording though.  Yes you can recored two things and watch a third.  To change the day on the guide press the +day button its one of the little small ones on the right.  Hope that helps you out.

Regular Contributor

In response to Hytti7: I had a technician come out on Saturday. I showed him, and he basically said there is nothing he can do about it. He played around for a bit and then did a "full download of the software" (this is not just unplugging and plugging back in). Took about 10 minutes. Thus far (2 days), I have not had any recordings cut off. Best I have found thus far. Otherwise, I completely agree with you.

Regular Contributor

In response to TxYankee: Not sure if you noticed this, but the recordings cut off usually at the moment you start playing a previously recorded program while you are recording a new program. If you are only recording one program, flip to a different channel before starting the previously recorded program. If you are recording two programs, it will cut off. I call this blackscreen. I had a technician come out on Saturday. I showed him, and he basically said there is nothing he can do about it. He played around for a bit and then did a "full download of the software" (this is not just unplugging and plugging back in). Took about 10 minutes. Thus far (2 days), I have not had any recordings cut off. Best I have found thus far. Otherwise, I completely agree with you.

Regular Contributor

I am now 3 days without a blackscreen experience! Will keep a few of these boards updated, but have to say, thus far having the technician come out and do a forced full download of the software to the box has worked!

Silver Problem Solver

that is great to know.  There may be a problem with the sofware push to the boxes not completing properly. 

New Poster

- I have been having the same problem you mentioned above about watching a recorded show and the status bar on the bottom shows the full time, then while watching it, at some point the time shortens and the show gets cutoff (you used a baseball game in your example above). 

I am so tired of this happening, I was ready to cancel my service because Comcast is the one company that has pushed me to the edge, I can't even talk to them on the phone, because too often they get me so angry, I go from a quiet, shy, nice person to the Hulk when talking to them.  I decided rather than dealing with them again, and going through that, I was just going to cancel my sevice.

I read what you said and I just went through a chat session with Comcast and they are sending my dvr the software, they said it will take 45 minutes, to fully get the update.  i hope this is the same thing the tech did for you.  I am sick (long term) and not wanting anyone to come over, not even a Comcast tech.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy, when i explain what's happening to people they all think I'm crazy and doing something wrong.  i'm glad to see it's happened to others.  I wonder if it's still working well for you.

Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, I have bad news to report. The blackscreen has returned. It took about 4 days, but it is back. I truely hope that the Comcast/Xfinity software designers are working on a patch for the Scientific Atlantic/Cisco boxes around the clock. Back to my Comcast/Xfinity depression...

New Poster

I too have been having the black screen problem.  I have to reboot my box almost daily to get the current channel buffering and rewind to work without a black screen.  It appears that the buffering stops working almost every night (perhaps the box SA 8300HD doesn't wake up correctly after sleep cycle).

A reboot generally fixes the problem temporarily.  When is Comcast going to get this problem fixed?

Silver Problem Solver

have you tried leving the box on to see if that makes any difference?

New Poster

I never turn it off myself but I think that it may go into a sleep on its own where the disk stops spinning.  The old guide used to go to sleep and shut down the buffering but when it was woken back up, the buffering would resume.

Regular Contributor

Yeah, it is interesting. They say that the boxes no longer go into "standby" mode, but I think they do on their own, we just cannot put them into standby anymore. When I wake up in the morning and try to rewind the channel I am on, there is no "buffer". When I turn the TV on in the morning, I hear the box starting up. It is disappointing in that I use to leave the box on a channel (ESPN), so that when I wake up, there would be an hour of TV to watch in the buffer. Cannot do that anymore. I never turn my box off.

Silver Problem Solver

why dont you just a set a recording for an hour before you wake up and then you have the hour back.

Frequent Visitor

I am having problems with my DVR when trying to watch a recorded program. The sound cuts in and out and the pixels go crazy and I can't watch anything that I recorded.  I never had this problem before.

Is anyone else having these problems?

New Poster

I am having the same issues all of you are.  They really screwed up something that wasn't broken.  I can't follow any of the new features and I don't see any documentation on any of it.

Change it back to where it was, at least we were happy.  Now I am considering FIOS.

Silver Problem Solver

Please start a new thread if you want to discuss other issues.  That being said here is a manual for the guide.  Change is hard, FIOS is great but do you think it will be less confusing moving to that than just figuring out this new guide?  Their guid is light years ahead of comcasts.  They dont have PIP, wake timer, sleep timer, either.  The old guide is not coming back

http://xfinity.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

New Poster

I am fine with the new guide and I can live with the functionality changes.  What I am not accepting is the poor software quality.  Numerous customers are reporting bugs that are crippling the usability of the new guide.  Having to reboot the box daily or getting trapped in a black screen when you attempt to pause or rewind is just not acceptable.  This is not a matter of learning the new system, it is an issue of the new system not working reliably.  I am not getting the service that I am paying for.  These quality issues must be addressed!

Frequent Visitor

I agree that I am not getting the quality I am paying for and that re-booting the box daily is unacceptable!

I don't feel that I should have to trouble shoot a system I am paying for from Comcast. I'm not a technician nor do I want to be a technician!

I'm taking my DVR box to comcast for a replacement or upgrade because I don't think the DVR I have is up to date. My box isn't listed on the choice in the trouble shooting area.

Comcast should know what devices their customers are using and should tell them if they need to upgrade or not before all the problems start.

New Poster

""Comcast should know what devices their customers are using and should tell them if they need to upgrade or not before all the problems start. ""

they do know what we use...  but for them to tell us would require them to do more work and provide a new piece of equipment which translates in $$$$

they won't do that, and if they did, they would charge us even more for the services..

Contributor

Perhaps we should all do the following:   Pay your next Comcast bill in full (so they have no case for halting your service).  Then we should all flood Comcast with requests for a refund of 30% of the DVD monthly rental charge.  (I base that figure on my estimate that we achieve a successful recording in only about 70& of our recording attempts),  Putting a dollar value on our complaints may motivate Comcast to correct their corrupt new system.  Let's put a fire under them by many of us putting in a refund request by email, phone, letter. etc.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am having most of the same problems as everyone else. It has to be a software issue since I have exactly the same hardware as before. I am not a professional programmer, but I could do better than this! In fact, I don't need to; just reinstall the old system. If they want all their customers to have the same system they should have given the Motorola people the SA software.

Frequent Visitor

I have had the DVR stop recording in the middle of a program like several of the posters have described. It sounds like it has to do with changing the channel while recording; I will try to pay closer attention to this. It shouldn't happen and never did before.

So...this is what happened to me last night. I was recording an hour long show on one channel and two consecutive half hour programs on another channel at the same time. I was watching either the hour long program or a recorded program (I forget) when the half hour came around. It displayed a message that a requested action could not be performed. I changed the channel to see what was being recorded. It turned out that the second half hour program was not being recorded so I pushed the record button to manually record it. Then when I looked at the list of recordings, it had lost the first half of the hour long program and only kept the second half!

As many others have said, this goes way beyond getting used to a new system. I never had this kind of problem with the old software.

New Poster

My DVR never turned back off(go into standby) after a recording is finished. If something recorded overnight the dvr would be on in the morning. Pushing the big red(all on) button then turned it off and the tv on.

Now the dvr will not turn on(from standby) when a recording is scheduled. If the dvr is on it will start a  recording. If you turn it on in the middle of a sheduled recording it will start then. This problem is new since the upgrade

Frequent Visitor

I have been having the same problem you mentioned above about watching a recorded show and the status bar on the bottom shows the full time, then while watching it, at some point the time shortens and the show gets cutoff (you used a baseball game in your example above). 

I have been on the phone with numerous reps and no one has had an answer. I have spoken to supervisors 3 times about this problem. All 3 informed me that they were escalating the call and I would receive a call within 48 hours.  I now believe that this statement actually means “ I haven’t got a clue and need to get you off the phone”  It’s equivalent to “THE CHECKS IN THE MAIL”  I spoke to my first “supervisor” a month ago and I haven’t got a call back from anyone.  This is a software problem with SA and Cisco boxes.  I’ve been told that the majority of Comcast customers use Motorola boxes and are not having this problem.  I’m sure that since it only affects a small portion of their customers they are not willing to admit it’s a problem and it’s not in their top ten priority to fix.

Frequent Visitor

Oh I believe all of you.  I have been on the phone with Comcast since Tuesday night when WITHOUT the promised "we'll let you know when the upgrade is happening" happened.  I came home after a very long day at work only to find that everything I thought was recording on my VCRs (which worked wonderfully until then - not shutting off in mid-program, no other issues) was actually a black screen.  This is when my entrance into Comcast he** began.  The boxes (the DTAs) are junk.  Not much point in them.  So I decided after waving the white flag of surrender to go get 2 DVR boxes - I was quoted a price of $15.95 for an HD box and $12 for the second regular DVD box.  I had my nephew (a computer scientist) install them.  They worked - for about 2 hours.  I discovered that Comcast had turned off the DVR feature because of - well no explanation given.  Then they changed the price on the boxes.  I now have to pay $16 for the second box.  Outrageous pricing since U-Verse charges $8 for theirs and you can watch them in any room in the house - unlike Comcast's (Uverse if not available in my area).  Then they were going to charge me for installing them!!!!  After speaking with 3 people this afternoon I am in hopes that this system will actually work.  If I have any more problems, I am done.  I am yanking every box out and dumping them back into Comcast's lap.  I will go to HULU Plus, Netflix, and whatever other service there is.  I feel like they owe me for the time I have spent trying to get THEIR issues resolved.  Apparently they think people don't have anything better or more pressing to do than stay on hold with them for several hours at a time.  When I called Tuesday night I was on hold for 45 minutes.  Yea they care about customer satisfaction.  It's painfully obvious how much they care.  I personnally wish everyone would unplug the boxes and show up in mass to disconnect their service.  Any more problems and I am done!!  For the price I pay for this service it should be TOP NOTCH and I shouldn't have any issues.  My dissatisfaction cannot be put into words.

And a parental warning:  My sister also has Comcast and Tuesday night she and her husband were re-scanning channels after the downgrade to Xfinity and the HISTORY CHANNEL was showing HARD CORE PORN!!!!  None of us subscribe to any of this type channel and don't appreciate it being broadcast into our homes on a channel that is supposed to be showing history!! Apparently several other channels have had this lovely addition to the programming as well.  We can only hope that young children were not privy to this trash.

Frequent Visitor

My biggest problem is when I try to watch a program I recorded it pauses and hesitates and is full of pixels and the sound cuts in and out. 

When I try to watch another channel with I record another it starts pausing and hesitating and then the whole thing freezes and can't watch anything recorded or not.

It's not worth it to have a DVR box I pay for because it's not working!

Regular Contributor

Not sure that was the point, sure I could record an hour before I wake up, and I actually do, but the point we were discussing was the box going into "standby" even when on.

Frequent Visitor

I have been posting the same problems and received this email from someone who saw my postings. Hope this sheds some light on the problem.

We have heard from a lot of customers directly about the improved speed and responsiveness of On Demand with the new guide. If you are still having issues with On Demand,  I would strongly recommend having a technician out to review your signal levels. Please give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST to start the troubleshooting process.

The DVR Folders feature (where your DVR recordings are automatically organized into on-screen folders for better organization) is something already included in our Motorola DVRs.

We have recently discovered that the DVR Folders option was recently and inadvertently added to the DVR Setup screen in this guide. The feature is currently not active (it will toggle on and off but doesn't actually turn DVR folders on or off) and this feature is slated for a future guide release for our SA customers. That release is scheduled to start being available to our SA/Cisco customers later this year. We are working to remove the DVR Folders setting in the guide now as to not confuse customers.

We are aware of a DVR truncation issue on DVRs. It has been confirmed that the issue impacts all SA and Cisco branded DVR�s. I apologize that you are experiencing this issue. The issue is set to be corrected in an upcoming guide release which is currently scheduled to begin customer deployment in early August. The firmware fix is currently being validated in Cisco and Comcast labs and going through a Quality Assurance phase.

In speaking with Cisco and Comcast engineers who have identified the root cause of this issue, one way to alleviate DVR truncation occurrences is to avoid changing channels when in a delayed playback state. I certainly realize that this is a big customer issue and an inconvenience but I wanted you to know that a fix is in process.

As with all of our new products, we have extensively tested this new guide first with our employees and also with using an independent research firm with real Comcast customers in Scientific Atlanta areas and also received much direct and positive feedback on usability.

There are many more details on the new on-screen guide available here: http://www.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

Thanks again for your comments and thanks for being a Comcast customer.

Frequent Visitor

I am glad to hear that something may be done about the problems that have been discussed hear, especially the aborted recordings. This software should never have been released in its current form. I can't believe these problems were not observed by the testing groups, they are so obvious and obtrusive. If Comcast wants to know how to present a recording menu, they should just look at the one they replaced. It gave clear, concise, logical choices both for scheduling a recording and deleting recordings. I am not optimistic that this will ever happen with the "upgrade".

Contributor

I, too, am happy to hear that something will "soon" be done about our DVR's in light of our Xfinity "upgrade".

It is the very first time that I've seen a recognition of the problem and even a time estimate placed on the expected improvement. We can hardly wait.  We are tired of playing dice with our recordings, that is, we never know when we schedule them that they will actually be there when we want to play them back. 

On the other hand, we have been disappointed before and this can just be so much smoke.  I hope not, because this DVR system in its present state is an abomination 

New Poster

I'm having the same problem. When I start watching a program that is being recorded, the recording cuts off before the end. For example, the program begins at 6:00. I start viewing at 6:15, but start at the beginning (of course). At 7:00 it stops recording, but it cuts off where I am viewing (45 minutes into the program), leaving the last 15 minutes of the program unrecorded. THIS HAPPENS EVERYTIME I MAKE THE MISTAKE OF TRYING TO VIEW A PROGRAM WHILE IT IS BEING RECORDED. WHAT GIVES? This never happened with the old software. The new software is pathetic.

New Poster

I find it ironic that they are just 'discovering' this problem when if you google this problem, you will find that it was occuring a year or two ago when they rolled it out in Atlanta and other cities so it is obviously not a 'new' problem.

I am calling today and demanding a credit for lack of service (and also researching other companies to switch to).

I find Comcast CS totally ineffective.

Silver Problem Solver

So let me ask you this.  Are you from Atlanta and have you had this problem for over a year when it got rolled out to your area? 

New Poster

No...I am in Florida and they just rolled it out here in April but if you google it you will find they had these same problems a year ago when they rolled it out in other parts of the country.  You would think they would have fixed it before continuing with the rollout.

After many frustrating phone conversations today (and being disconnected twice), the tech suggested I switch out my dvr so I did that.  I doubt it will fix the problem but if it doesn't, they said they cannot send a tech.

Oh and you will love this....they cannot give me credit for lack of service because the problem is not fixed!