Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

DVR cutoff

New Poster

DVR cutoff

Why does the DVR never record the whole program unless I manually go in and change the settings to make the program record past the televised times?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR cutoff

The dvr is a dumb device it has no way of knowing when a show ends, its tapes by time slot.  If you set it to record a show that starts at 9 and ends at 10 that is what it will do.  How would it know that the show is running long?   Ill give you an example.. The show House on Fox always runs long in my area at least a minute or two so I set the recording to go out 3 extra minutes.   The networks are the ones that determine when a show starts and when it ends. 

Is the time on your dvr set correctly?

Service Expert

Re: DVR cutoff

It is possible that the dvr time is off by a few seconds. If I am not mistaken the time is set by the local office and if it is even a few seconds off the ending time of your recording will be affected. There is nothing you can do to change the time on the DVR.

The dvr time and network time simply don't match exactly.

I have to add a minute to the end of EVERY recording I set up so I don't miss the last 15 or 20 seconds of a show.

That at times defeats the purpose of being able to record 2 shows in one time slot and a show in the next time slot because the next one will be clipped at the beginning by a minute.

It isn't necessarily the fault of the networks when this happens.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon