Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

DVR Help???

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 4

We are very interested in a DVR, but we want to purchase one instead of paying the monthly rental fee. Where can I find a list of Comcast compatible DVR's?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 2 of 4

You may purchase a Tivo Premier or Premier Elite at major electronic dealers such as Best Buy or online from Tivo.

You puchase the Tivo, subscribe to Tivo's monthly or lifetime service and add a Comcast supplied cable card to authenticate the digital channels in your TV package.  On Demand is just starting to be available to Tivo Premier subsribers.  The Comcast cable card is priced as an additional digital device, but then the sub gets some credit back for supplying your own equipment.  The cable card monthly fee can also be in lieu of your Comcast supplied cable box monthly fee.

There are no other DVR's that can be purchased that will work on Comcast's encrypted digital channels at this time.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 3 of 4

Do NOT, under any circumstances, buy a box you find on eBay, Craigslist, or similar. The cable boxes that Comcast uses are NOT for sale. Any you find on-line are either stolen or for Canada, where you can buy boxes (but like cell phones, are often 'locked' to a particular cable company.)

Basically, in the US, it's legal to buy a box, but there is no law requiring cable companies from authorizing their use, and they won't.

As mentioned, the only alternative is something like a Tivo, which has it's own guide and subscription costs. Another alternative is a computer with a CableCard tuner, turning it into an HTPC (Home Theater PC).

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 4 of 4

Thank you for the heads up! I was hoping to purchase one at Best Buy or a place similar. Thanks Again!