members

online now

discussions

DCX3400 Firmware Upgrades fro HDMI/HDCP Issues

Highlighted
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 1 of 26

FYI, from another board (dslreports.com). Firmware version 22.35 was released (apparently in Aug or earlier) for the DCX's to address the known HDMI-related issues, especially when used with repeater devices such as av receivers. Someone else reported having Firmware version 22.37 with a release date of Aug 12 on his boxes, don't know what specific issues were addressed in 22.37 vs 22.35. Anyway, all of those users are reporting no HDMI problems with their boxes. So anyone looking to specifically get one of those DCX's from Comcast for use with an av receiver via HDMI might also want to find out what the firmware version is, and if it's lower than 22.35 be prepared to use component connects until the newer firmware gets pushed down... 

25 REPLIES
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2 of 26

I haven't got the DCX3400 yet, as I have some recorded shows still to watch on the DCH3416.

What default firmware version is on the DCX3400, and has anyone been able to get the upgrade pushed from Comcast to 22.35 or 22.37?

Message Edited by FAUguy on 09-25-2009 08:13 AM
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 3 of 26

How do you get Comcast to push out a new firmware to my DVR's?

Or is getting a replacement unit the only way to get DVR's with updated firmware?

thanks!

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 4 of 26
Comcast will push new firmware when it is available.  You can't get it by asking, since they won't have it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 5 of 26
I just got a dcx3400 installed, with firmware 22.35 and the signal is not passing properly through my AV receiver. Any idea of how to resolve?
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 6 of 26
Post the make/model of the receiver and perhaps someone can help you.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 7 of 26
The receiver is a Denon AVR-2310CI.  Up to yesterday I was using a Direct TV HD DVR and the signal passed from the Direct TV box to the receiver and onto the TV just fine. The signal from my PS3 also passes through the receiver with no issues. I have the receiver connected to the TV via HDMI. I called Comcast today but they were at a loss to help me.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 8 of 26

Seems like the closest board matching my problem.  My box worked fine for almost a year and then a few weeks ago it gradually degraded, some channels worked, other didn't, I'd get an S0a00 error.  I've called tech support several times and it lead me to get a new box (DCX3400), brought it home, hooked it up and got no HDMI signal, No Component signal, but I can get a Composite signal.

I tried changing the settings on the "power off then press menu" screen, but I can't uncheck any boxes, they are greyed out.

Comcast has sent several "reset" signals, which haven't done a thing.  I run my XBOX 360 through an HDMI and it works fine, it has to be the box as my TV has no problems with any other device.

I really would like to get this fixed otherwise I'm just going to cancel my service, why pay for something I can't even see?

I'm at a loss and have tried everything tech support has suggested other than PAYING for a tech to come out to fix it.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 9 of 26

You may need to have the box replaced.  If the box is faulty then you wouldn't have to pay for the visit.

Your original problem could be caused by a weak signal, which can affect only certain channels. Check the connections to the cable box, especially the incoming coax, and eliminate any unnecessary splitters.

To check signal strength with a Motorola box, tune to the offending channel, turn off the box with the remote, then within two seconds hit "OK/Select." This will bring up the diagnostics screen. Select "Inband Status" (probably page d04) and look for "SNR" for the tuner(s). This value should be in the mid to upper 30s. You may be able to improve the signal strength by adding a signal amplifier to the incoming cable line.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 10 of 26

I've already had the box replaced with a brand new one, just yesterday.  Also, I can't view any diagnostic screens because there is no video coming out of the box to my tv, it knows there is a connection because it flashes "DVI" when I turn the TV and my TV knows that it's connected because it changes from "no signal input" to just "no signal".

Also, the signal strength should be good, when the tech came out a few months ago to do some line work he told me I have one of the best connections he's seen.

I don't have a splitter, it goes right to the cable box.  I wonder if length can be an issue, the coax running to my tv is about 35-40 feet long.  I'll check it when I get home, it's just weird that i get a yellow cord video signal, but hdmi and component don't work.

Things I've tried for fixing this:

Changing power outlets

Changing power strip (it's grounded)

Changing the Cable Box

Changing the HDMI cords

Trying the HDMI in the 3 other ports on my TV

Trying two other HDMI cords - Didn't work

Tried Component connection - Didn't work

Tried Composite connection - Worked, but useless it I'm paying for HD service.

Had the "reset" signal set twice and waited the 45 mins before even touching the box.

Changing the format on the front of the box from 480i, but it's locked on that format.

Can't change anything on the diagnosis/setup menu as it's all greyed out except for "16:9 / 4:3" and the closed caption settings.

Power Cycled, several times.

Checked all the connections, unplugged, plugged them in, etc.

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to have a tech come out, thanks for the info though.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 11 of 26

I am thinking that are two issues.  First being you are having signal issues coming into the TV outlet.

Second, that signal issue is preventing the new box from fully activating properly.  When they stage the boxes in the warehouse, they end up with some basic tier programming to get it going.  Once you bring the box home, and you call in to activate it to your account, then the box fully activates to your programming tier.  In your case the box can't get the OOB signals to receive the activation signals, so nothing happens.

You need a tech out to correct your signal issues, and then he can get the box fully activated.

The fact that your were having S0A00 messages says you are now having some signal issue that only a Comcast tech can correct.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 12 of 26

Finally, an answer that makes sense and doesn't like it came from a book and was copied and pasted.

Sincerely, thank you!  I'll get a hold of tech support again.

Also, I'm coming to these forums from now on, I feel like I actually got somewhere.  Thanks again!!

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 13 of 26

If you get any runaround from phone support, come back and we will get in touch with people that will get things fixed.  You have been thru enough already.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 14 of 26

I think I'm issuing the same thing.  My dvd keeps radomly cutting off and then displaying the dvi message.  It happens every so many minutes and we are connected with the HDMI cable. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 15 of 26

They said they can't get anyone out until next week to check it.  Anyway to get someone out sooner?  I've been without cable for two weeks now...thank goodness for Netflix and the internet.

Let me know, if you can't I'll just make an appointment for next week.

Thanks again!

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 16 of 26

I've notified the Comcast admin if they can squeeze you in, he will get getting back to you soon.

Make the next week appt just in case.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Retired Administrator

Message 17 of 26

Hey Ekhoffs - can you share the telephone number on your account via email? I'll have a friend look into this. Please be sure to reference the post here

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 18 of 26

I got someone coming out tomorrow morning...after a 50 min chat conversation, copying and pasting the things I've tried a few times.  The tech's name was "Dimples"...I couldn't help buy laugh.

Anyway, I'll head back here if I don't have any luck, thanks again gang.

Steve

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 19 of 26

So I finally got a tech to come out and all he did was connect the cable directly to my tv and told me to keep in turned to Channel 4.  This is no where near the resolution I wanted.

I'm calling dish network and getting quotes, this is beyond ridiculous, why did I have service before and now all of a sudden all I get are crappy non-hd channels that I can only get through a coax connected to my TV?  Does no one at Comcast Support talk to each other or read notes?

I'm going to email:  Detreon_Roberts@comcast.com and see if anything can be done and if not, i'm done with comcast cable, almost 3 weeks with no service and i already know im' going to be charged for that visit today, because you guys are a-holes and i'm going to have to pay for the 3 weeks of service because no one gives a flying F, they just send some tech that can't speak the same language as me to plug in a wire i could have done myself.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 20 of 26

Dete has already been notified, so he will be in contact when he gets back in the office.  Please share anything you have to share with him on your email.

I sure don't know what is wrong with those guys, and I am truely sad on what you have gone through.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 21 of 26

So, all along the issue was that I was getting HD Channels because I was given an HD box when my service was installed and Comcast was including the channels for free.  As of a few weeks ago this was not the case.

So pretty much my HD channels were turned off without notification...that's all it was.  Why couldn't someone just have told me that from the beginning?

Anyway, I'm all set now thanks to a great phone rep named Gabriel, I talked to her supervisor when we were done to let her know what a great job she did.

Thanks again for your guys' help and sorry for the rants.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 22 of 26

So you are all good to go?  Did you get your HD wiring to your TV connected back up?  The set top box / DVR is totally functioning?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Retired Administrator

Message 23 of 26

Hi there - glad to hear all is well. Can you let us know if the other issues were fixed too? (Take a look at Jay's post)

Thanks

Just 'Dete'

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Retired Administrator

Message 24 of 26

Thanks again!

Just 'Dete'

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 25 of 26

It is hooked up to my TV with an HDMI and most of the channels work ok.

Still, my local channels are scrambling or not coming in at all, still getting the S0a00 "channel available shortly" message.

Any ideas?

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 26 of 26

If your still getting that message, you are still having some signal issues at your set top box.

I lost track if a tech ever came out or not.  If he did, then he needs to get back, if no one has been out, then a tech needs to come out and find where the signal issues are and fix them.

You can either call to Comcast for a tech appt, or Dete will be back on Monday, and he can contact the local people to send someone out.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon