New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Control DVR output volume level (not TV vol) via DVR remote

SOLVED
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 11

I want to use the volume controls (up and down) on my Comcast HD DVR remote to control the volume level output by the DVR, not the volume level of a connected TV or soundbar. I used to be able to do this on some older Comcast set-top box, and the volume level sent to the Left and Right audio output RCA connectors was not fixed, but was variable (controlled by the then-used Comcast remote control). Now, I want to do the same thing on the Cisco RNG200 STB, but under Setup, Audio I don't find the option to turn off the fixed-level audio output and use the volume control buttons on the HD DVR STB remote to turn it into a variable-level audio output.

Alternatively, can I set the "remote code" for the "TV" device to the code for the HD DVR STB itself, and will that then control the output audio volume level sent to the output audio connections (of all types, hopefully)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 6 of 11
Solution

WmHBlair wrote: Thank you for that information. However, it is not an answer to my question. ...

You have to read between the lines a little bit. You also need to be aware that changing the STB volume only affects the Left and Right analog output jacks. The digital volume levels are fixed. Someone, somewhere decided for us all that we would never want to use the STB to adjust digital volume and removed that capability. 

To use the STB to control analog volume, lock volume control on the remote to the Cable device:

1. Press and release Cable.
2. Press and hold Setup until Cable flashes twice, then release Setup.
3. Enter 9  9  3 (Cable will flash twice).
4. Press and release Cable (Cable will flash twice).

Volume and Mute should now control the analog volume. Again, these instructions work for a Silver/Red remote (with a Scientific Atlanta cable box). They should work for other remotes and boxes.

Please let us know if this works for you.

10 REPLIES
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 2 of 11

The instruction sheet for the Silver/Red remote has the following on Volume Lock:

Changing Volume Lock

The Comcast Custom 3-Device universal remote control is set at the factory to control the TV volume in all modes. However, you may change the Volume Lock setting to Individual Volume Unlock to unlock a specific device’s volume controls for independent operation in its own mode (e.g., Audio Receiver volume controls in the AUX mode).

Or, if desired, you can perform Global Volume Unlock so that the volume controls of all devices can be independently operated in their own modes.

Unlocking Volume Control For A Single Device (Individual Unlock):

1. Press a desired mode key where you want volume to be unlocked (e.g., AUX) and controlled within its own mode.
2. Press and hold Setup until the selected mode key blinks twice, then release Setup.
3. Enter 9 - 9 - 3 and then press VOL- once. The mode key will blink four times confirming unlock.
4. If desired, repeat steps 1 to 3 (of this section) for each device that you want volume to be unlocked.
5. Now, after you select a device that has volume unlocked (e.g., AUX), pressing VOL+, VOL-, or Mute, will control the device’s volume only in its own mode.

Unlocking All Volume Controls (Global Unlock):

1. Press and hold until the selected mode key blinks twice, then release 2. Enter 9 - 9 - 3 and then press VOL+ once. The mode key will blink four times confirming unlock.
3. Now, volume controls for all devices can be independently controlled in their own modes.

Locking Volume Control To or AUX Mode:

1. Press and hold SETUP until the Red light flashes twice, then release SETUP.
2. Enter 9 - 9 - 3 (Red light will flash twice).
3. Press and release either or (Red light for selected device will flash twice).

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 3 of 11

Thank you for that information. However, it is not an answer to my question. The answer describes how to get the Comcast remote control to change the volume by communicating with one or more OTHER devices (that is, other than the Comcast STB itself). I do not wish (nor can I) change the volume on the audio device. Instead, I want to change the audio volume level emitted or sent out by the STB to the output audio device. I tried to make that clear, but apparently I didn't.

My point is this: I used to be able to do this (control the volume ... thru the STB ... that is, the LEVEL OF THE AUDIO OUTPUT signal being sent downstream [i.e., "out" as in "Audio OUT"] from the STB itself). I think the last time that I wanted to do this was before the "recent" xFinity software upgrades, but there used to be a way to do this: that is, have the audio output signal level FROM THE STB be VARIABLE (and the exact level set by the volume control buttons on the remote control).

All I am asking is: How do I do this with the latest level of the STB software? I already know how to control SOME OTHER DEVICE. I don't want to do that. I want to control the STB audio output level directly.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 4 of 11

>  However, you may change the Volume Lock setting

>  to Individual Volume Unlock to unlock a specific

> device’s volume controls for independent operation

>  in its own mode

Alternatively, can this (other) "specific device" that I can

"unlock" the remote control to control the audio level be

the STB itself? In other words, if I set the "remote code"

for the TV (or AUX) to the STB itself, will that achieve

the goal I am seeking?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 5 of 11

most volume locks are set at maximum.  I do not believe it is possible to do what you want, the comcast remote is a simple device that lets you control the tv volume its not meant to control an internal box volume control.   If you press cable and then press volume on an older box you might see some alternate volume bars pop up but those never did anything on my system. 

Highlighted
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 6 of 11
Solution

WmHBlair wrote: Thank you for that information. However, it is not an answer to my question. ...

You have to read between the lines a little bit. You also need to be aware that changing the STB volume only affects the Left and Right analog output jacks. The digital volume levels are fixed. Someone, somewhere decided for us all that we would never want to use the STB to adjust digital volume and removed that capability. 

To use the STB to control analog volume, lock volume control on the remote to the Cable device:

1. Press and release Cable.
2. Press and hold Setup until Cable flashes twice, then release Setup.
3. Enter 9  9  3 (Cable will flash twice).
4. Press and release Cable (Cable will flash twice).

Volume and Mute should now control the analog volume. Again, these instructions work for a Silver/Red remote (with a Scientific Atlanta cable box). They should work for other remotes and boxes.

Please let us know if this works for you.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 7 of 11
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 8 of 11

Sorry if this is off topic, but would locking the volume make it so I could hit volume in Cable mode on the remote and control the volume on my Aux which is my A/V amp?

Used to be on one of my old DVR's you could just do a setting in the box, but now after reading this thread I was wondering if there was any option that would allow me to just hit volume in cable mode and control the volume on my A/V amp without hitting the Aux mode first.

Thanks!!

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 9 of 11

jwwPhotos wrote: ... would locking the volume make it so I could hit volume in Cable mode on the remote and control the volume on my Aux which is my A/V amp? ...

Sure. Just substitute Aux for Cable in the instructions above:

1. Press and release Aux.
2. Press and hold Setup until Aux flashes twice, then release Setup.
3. Enter 9  9  3  (Aux flashes twice).
4. Press and release Aux  (Aux flashes twice).

Volume and Mute should now control the Aux device even when the remote is in Cable or TV mode. Again, these instructions were tested with a Silver/Red remote. They should work for other remotes.

Please let us know if this works.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 10 of 11

AWESOME!!! Works perfectly!

Thanks so much!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 11 of 11

Thanks Bruce!   

First search and I hit your response.   I just installed a Bose Cinemate SR 1 this weekend, programed it on the Comacasr Aux with code 31933.    Off on worked great with the all on but the volume didn't as it's locked to the TV button at factory.   Your steps on how to re-assign the locked volume to the Aux Button was spot on.

I really wanted to use the Comcast remote because of the "All On/off"  feature.    The bose remote is missing that functionality.

Took me about 2 minutes total,  that included reading your post.