Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Commscope AC Adapter

ANSWERED
New Poster

Commscope AC Adapter

A few months ago a technician installed a new X1 DVR and telephone equipment, etc. At the time we did not have a cable box in the living room because it was being used in a bedroom.  I am just now realizing that while here the technician installed an splitter/amplifier and used my only cable outlet in the living room to plug in a commscope ac adapter.  Now I want to move the cable box from the bedroom to the living room and I can't because the cable outlet is being used by the ac adapter. When I unplug the cable from the ac adapter the cable in the entire house goes out.  How can I fix this so that I can use my cable outlet?

Accepted Solution

Re: Commscope AC Adapter

Your best to contact Comcast to get a tech back out.  You need a power inserter to keep the voltage to the amp and power supply and the power inserter will have a port for the cable box.  These power inserters are not standard items that can be found locally.  You can't use a splitter in it's place.

Otherwise a new coax line will need to be run to the amp to power it.

Comcast should cover the tech visit as it wasn't installed properly the 1st time.  

Here's what it looks like.

pi.JPG

View answer in context
Cable Expert

Your best to contact Comcast to get a tech back out.  You need a power inserter to keep the voltage to the amp and power supply and the power inserter will have a port for the cable box.  These power inserters are not standard items that can be found locally.  You can't use a splitter in it's place.

Otherwise a new coax line will need to be run to the amp to power it.

Comcast should cover the tech visit as it wasn't installed properly the 1st time.  

Here's what it looks like.

pi.JPG

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Service Expert

theglaesers wrote:

A few months ago a technician installed a new X1 DVR and telephone equipment, etc. At the time we did not have a cable box in the living room because it was being used in a bedroom.  I am just now realizing that while here the technician installed an splitter/amplifier and used my only cable outlet in the living room to plug in a commscope ac adapter.  Now I want to move the cable box from the bedroom to the living room and I can't because the cable outlet is being used by the ac adapter. When I unplug the cable from the ac adapter the cable in the entire house goes out.  How can I fix this so that I can use my cable outlet?

I had the exact same issue....   I installed a new outlet in the attic where the Commscope Zero Loss Amp was located ( 5-port or 9-port is supplied depending on the number of cable outlets ).   Moved the power adaptor to that outlet and used 18 inch cable run and plugged it back in...   Was up and running again with 2 X1 DVR's, 1 Xi3 and 1 RNG150 after all devices successfully rebooted upon power being restored.

If you are not an electrician, I would do as Jay suggested and get COmcast back out to do this correctly as he stated.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for your reply.  I did as you suggested and scheduled a tech visit.  He was here yesterday and put the splitter in.  It's a little irritating that they didn't do it correctly the first time.  But, at least it's fixed now.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation