discussions

Comcast.net Portal Changes

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 401 of 445 (6,887 Views)

Re: Comcast.net Portal Changes

EarlyOut wrote:

Gunfiter74 wrote:
Why did you take away the ability to "book-mark" favorite, often-used web sites?

Probably because that feature is already available with every browser.

And much more efficient, as well as more flexible too...
TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 402 of 445 (6,891 Views)

Gunfiter74 wrote:
Why did you take away the ability to "book-mark" favorite, often-used web sites?

Probably because that feature is already available with every browser.
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 403 of 445 (6,898 Views)

Why did you take away the ability to "book-mark" favorite, often-used web sites?  This was a feature that I used every day, and you just deleted it.  Bring back the old home page or I'll go else where.......
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 404 of 445 (6,905 Views)

I'll make a small point here (remembering that I don't use the comcast page.. either the old or the new)..

There are some here that don't like it, however in another place and time.. I find the majority there do like it:

TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 405 of 445 (6,908 Views)

What it boils down to is pretty simple:

Comcast needs to really listen and hear what their paying subscribers are saying, be it in this venue or over the phone. (I am sure Comcast is being inundated with angry phone calls as well, regarding these changes.)   

I suspect those of us posting here are the minority, as the majority of subscribers don't realize this forum is here, to voice their concerns/objections/opinions.

I don't believe, in this era, integrating a customizable home page would be difficult nor out of the question.

COMCAST, your customers pay good, hard earned money for your services....  we ARE talking....  and our money CAN walk  Smiley Wink 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 406 of 445 (6,938 Views)

Each day since the new homepage change I get a different look.  Sometimes, a full page, most often only a box at the top.  Comcast, get your act together.  I'm not resistant to change, but is this supposed to be an improvement?  I hate the way the page looks now, very vanilla.  For the money we pay for this service we deserve more!

Thank you for letting me vent
Posted by
Visitor

Message 407 of 445 (6,960 Views)

Half of my portfolio disappeared this weekend on the default finance portfolio.  What gives?
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 408 of 445 (6,987 Views)

Its strange how I only get the new portal when use the Opera browser to access www.comcast.net and it transfer me to www6.comcast.net. When I ue IE6 and Firefox I get the old page. It does have a kiddy/teenager appeal to it and it does change a few things so as the e-mail link. I took me a few tries to figure out the new iphone interface it has. I had no problem finding the weather on top. It took a bit scrowling and reading to learn the links I was looking for where at the bottom on of the page. Comcast portal page has always been cluttered with a bunch of stuff I've learned to ignore. It will be the same with this page. Being able to customize a portal should be a requirement for every portal.
Posted by
Edited on
‎10-16-2007 06:13 AM

Regular Visitor

Message 409 of 445 (7,015 Views)

[ Edited ]
Why can't there be a choice?
The Old and New look. Let people decide what they want by clicking a button. Seems to me this new thing isnt going over well at all. Surely someone cares enough to hear thier customers voices..and try to put in something  other than this new look. Are the files for the old one still active just not available? 

My Kids hate it, I hate it, the wife hates it, ALL my co-workers have changed thier homepages or are seriously considering it. Sounds like the majority here doesnt care for it. Yea, it loads faster but I never had an issue with that on my computer with the old one.

Michael, what is your position with Comcast? Do you build the site or just manage the forums?  I have to wonder just how many calls are coming into Comcast now that the new is launched...

Message Edited by BBass on 10-16-2007 03:13 AM
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 410 of 445 (7,040 Views)

Clearing the IE cache does NOTHING.  It will maybe load once after that but then the problem immediately returns.  I've cleared my cache dozens of times and done everything else I am supposed to do and the problem still remains.  Then there are all the other Comcast problems I've had to deal with and I don't even want to get started on those...

Like I said in my earlier post, I can't wait for Verizon Fios to get here so I can be done with Comcast once and for all, as internet service is the last and only service I now have with them.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 411 of 445 (7,068 Views)

I must say the new site is very confusing and bland.  The old site I believe was very organized.  This new site has an old look not new and fresh as the old.  Please change back.  Yes the site may have changed a couple of times but it was for the better.  This new site is awful and old looking.  Like it was the first.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 412 of 445 (7,073 Views)

For two days I have been on the phone with Comcast and HP regarding why I haven't been able to access the Comcast.net page in IE.  I turned on, off, installed, and uninstalled many features.  Who knew it was as simple as clearing my browser cache.  I was told by the Comcast Tech that there hadn't been many calls about not being able to access the site; however, looking at this forum I was certainly not the only one with the problem.

Poor verticle/lateral communication within a company has got to be the problem here.

I eventually installed Foxfire to access the site and my mail - and just found this message board with the answer that solved my problem in an instant.

I have wasted many hours on the phone - I am worn out.

I hope others are able to resolve their issues faster than I was able to.
Posted by
Edited on
‎10-15-2007 09:22 PM

Regular Visitor

Message 413 of 445 (7,115 Views)

[ Edited ]
I really don't care about how it looks, I would just like it if the darn thing actually loaded, which 99% of the time it doesn't other than the advertisement and the box that changes which are both at the top of the page. Everything else very rarely loads even after clearing the cache etc. and it only loads faster because mostly there isn't anything there to load.  Absolutely pathetic, and I'm paying for this!

I think I will switch to using Yahoo as my homepage, which actually loads, and as a bonus I'll be able to FULLY customize it to my liking, including content and even color.

Comcast as a whole has many more important issues/problems to tackle and fix rather than updating a portal page that didn't need to be updated in the first place!   Fix the things that are broken, not those that aren't.

I really miss living in an area where Cablevision is the provider and I can't wait for Verizon Fios to go live in my area.

Message Edited by chrisdecrn on 10-15-2007 06:18 PM

Message Edited by chrisdecrn on 10-15-2007 06:22 PM
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 414 of 445 (7,133 Views)

Michael, I hope you have scrapped your plans to force everyone to use the new beta Comcast.net..About the only thing I agree is better with the beta page is that it loads faster. Other than that, there is virtually nothing that I can see that is an improvement over the old home page. This is not because I do not like change. I love change, when it has a meaningful purpose. The only purpose I see here is to just change something. If you want to change something, maybe tweak the old home page so it loads faster..It least it is distinguishable by its color schemes, unlike beta. The old home page is somewhat streamlined and organized compared to the beta. So don't ruin a good thing, please give people out there that use these products every day a voice to decide what they think is better. Enough ranting, but I've made my point.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 415 of 445 (7,160 Views)

Is this new look what I am stuck with?!?!?!?

Posted by
Edited on
‎10-15-2007 07:21 PM

Service Expert

Message 416 of 445 (7,166 Views)

[ Edited ]
Maybe Comcast is under the impression that hordes of non-customers (who don't need to login) will flock to their new portal page--even as disgruntled customers may bolt away from it.

As another poster noted, opening the assistant on the beta page causes it to overlay other page content.  But I guess if the assistant functions are truly that important to users, having to close it to see the full page is a minor inconvenience.  And in the new assistant weather module, I like being one click away from a 10-day forecast for my zipcode.  Although the old 5-day view was useful, it's not a huge loss to me.  I also like the ability to choose which assistant module (weather, sports, etc.) displays for the "assistant preview"--when the assistant is not open. 

I may be a minority opinion, but I like the color scheme and layout of the beta page.  (I do agree that user customization would be desirable.)

And I think navigation has actually improved with the new version...save for the sign-in issues noted by others.  I liked that the old explore page (which I didn't have "remember me" ) would let me log in once at the home page, and then go anywhere I wanted (My Account functions, E-mail, Help Forum) without another sign in.

Navigation is a bit odd, though.  For example, while making this post, I opened the explore home page, and it showed me as signed in (per usual).  I then switched to the beta version, and was also still shown as signed in.  Next, I accessed the My Account link near the top left, and had to sign in again.  When I then used the top left Comcast logo to go back to the main page, I was back at the explore view I typically use, instead of back at the beta page.  Perhaps this is because the new site isn't fully rolled out right now (at least not for me).  I noticed that from the "signed in" beta home page, I could use the top left E-mail to get to my Inbox (or open a compose window) without another sign-in.

The "IT Lists" area of the home page is interesting, in that it shows different types of content (not user controllable as to what you see).  One iteration showed topics in discussion in the Community forum.  But this was only clear based on the target URLs for the links.  Another iteration contained "Most Watched Shows", with links to program-specific info on the TV Planner pages.  And that iteration also provided a "Talk Everything TV" link that takes one to the applicable section of the Community forum.  Again, that was only clear by looking at the target URLs for the provided links.  So I think the descriptive text associated with the "IT Lists" could be improved to indicate where a user will be taken within the Comcast site, if used.

More to come, when I have time and more experience with using the beta.

Message Edited by Bartleby on 10-15-2007 06:21 PM
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 417 of 445 (7,168 Views)

I don't like the new comcast.net homepage.

1. Looks cluttered
2. I can't modify to my preferences for what I want to see
3. Does not have "My Favorites" for my very frequently used web sites.  I use this exclusively.
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 418 of 445 (7,207 Views)

dotsun wrote:
Please for the love of God, put the login back on the Comcast home page!

Thanks

That really does rank right up there with the "bad design choice of the year" candidates, doesn't it? Smiley Happy
Posted by
Visitor

Message 419 of 445 (7,216 Views)

Please for the love of God, put the login back on the Comcast home page!

Thanks
Posted by
Contributor

Message 420 of 445 (7,257 Views)

I don't like the look of the new home page nor the content.  We should be able to pick and choose the subjects we want upfront.  For example I don't like the entertainment stuff taking up way too much space.  I don't like the advertising either.  I also don't like videos inserted in the news headlines....when I click on those news headline I want to read....not watch the story.  Keep the videos together, not intermingled with the written news.  In short....I just don't care for the new look and layout.  I will give it a chance for a bit...but I am seriously considering making another site my home page. 
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 421 of 445 (7,261 Views)

Given the ease with which folks can change which homepage they point their browser to, I understand the need to peroidically refresh the comcast.net page to keep it viable against competing pages.  Granted, it's also uniquely a portal to other services offered by Comcast, but I assume that most people just use it as a place for a quick update on whatever constitutes their world before linking off to wherever they really wanted to go.

Having said that, I'm not sure anything is really accomplished with this latest change.  Overall, the page is very busy.  The two most prominent features are those I care about least - Advertising, which I recognize the necessity of, and Headlines, which I pay almost as little attention to (seems to be mostly news of the tabloid variety). 

Overall, though, I find that I am relatively indifferent to the overall layout.  I do, however, have two gripes and one suggestion.

1) As has been mentioned before, having the search field grab focus whenever it comes up is really rude.  If I want to use comcast search, I'll click on it (and I never do).

2) The information I care about on the page is now all contained within the "Assistant".  It NEEDS to default to OPEN when the page loads.  If you insist on showing me the advertising, then switch sides with the "in the news" frame and pop the Assistant over that.  Be aware that it is the only thing I really care about on the whole page and one of the few reasons I still have comcast.net as a home page.

and finally, the suggestion:

3) You missed the opportunity to provide an actual feature with the Assistant.  You should persist the pop-up link for it in all subsequent frames on the site - make it available if I actually decide to read something "in the news", etc.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 422 of 445 (7,274 Views)

Partial homepage (www6.comcast.net).  I can see comcast.net search area, the mailbox/account area, the in the news, have you heard etc. box, the ad box (currently fandago), bottom right of screen I can see the Ziddio picture and the picture of the day, left bottom is the have you tried list of options.  The rest of the page is completely white, although I can click on hidden items and it directs me to that page.

** Sometimes the complete page will show (sometimes for just a second), but if I go to another site and then back to comcast homepage it is back to being mostly a white page.

Have IE7, deleted everything possible, tried changing homepage under internet options.  Does not help.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 423 of 445 (7,295 Views)

i would like to be able to modify the page like we could with the old layout.  i only had news and weather and movies listed on the old layout and hope we will get that again. with the new layout.  dont like the advertisments or the stock info i feel it is to cluttered.
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 424 of 445 (7,304 Views)

1)  Please don't make us log in over and over again as EO stated
2)  Please allow us to customize and not have to load all the 'stuff' we are not interested in

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 425 of 445 (7,314 Views)

The page is slow to load at night
Posted by
Visitor

Message 426 of 445 (7,389 Views)

I do not like this new beta page. I would like to see my weather like on the old page. The email link is terrible, it lists the number of new emails I have but when I click on the inbox it tells me that I dont have any new e-mails. But when I sign in I do. The background needs to be changed as well.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 427 of 445 (7,441 Views)

Would like to be able to change background color of the page.

Would like to be able to change font size.

Both of these you could change whether or not you login.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 428 of 445 (7,456 Views)

Well the new site really isn't much to look at. Maybe once they have it properly fleshed out and looking decent, just doesn't seem to organized the way it is currently. Probably would have been a wiser decision to wait till it was fully developed before putting it up, looks like a rush job just to slap something up.
The news setup was better set up on the old site, was convenient way to tab to each news post. Which was more or less the only reason I ever used the comcast.net site.
The ads aren't too annoying I suppose, been blocking the ad servers so just seeing white blocks where the ads should be (using adblock on firefox).
More customization of what we see or don't see on the main page would be nice.
Like most of the world, I like using the metric system, so an option to see the weather in Celcius would be great.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 429 of 445 (7,466 Views)

Michael,
I cannot get the home page to load beyond the box that changes, and 1 ad.  I spent 20 minutes with live chat, changed the address, cleared out everything and it still won't load.  My live chat man just wished me well and we parted.

Is there any thing I can look forward to in getting this homepage to fill the blank spots?  It costs me $55.95 a month with comcast, and I don't think I'm getting my monies worth.
Posted by
Edited on
‎10-15-2007 01:58 AM

Connection Expert

Message 430 of 445 (7,484 Views)

[ Edited ]

Tonybuzz wrote:

Upload speeds (which i use more than download) are still higher with DSL than cable. 

That depends on the package that one subscribes to with either type of provider, and exclusive to DSL, it depends on one's physical distance from their nearest C.O.'s DSLAM or an R.T....

Really, it's just that simple

Message Edited by EG on 10-15-2007 01:58 AM

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 431 of 445 (7,496 Views)

Let's talk about logging in.  Comcast is not providing financial services.  Someone breaking into your Comcast account can't empty your bank account, run up charges on your credit card, or otherwise engage in any serious identity theft.  So why, then, do users need a degree of security that simply results in annoyance?

Here's how it should work.  When you get to comcast.net, it should prompt you for a login, with a "remember me on this computer" option.  After that, no further logging in should be required for email, PWP, the forums, My Account, etc.  The user has already logged in.  How does demanding the same information again improve security?

If the user starts off by pointing his browser to a page other than the portal (and he isn't "remembered" on the computer), he should be taken to a login page.  Once he's logged in, he should then be taken to the page he asked for in the first place.  So, for example, if I enter www.comcast.net/pwp, and haven't logged in, it should ask me for my login, then take me to the PWP page that I asked for.  Don't take me from there to the portal page.  That's not where I wanted to go.
Posted by
Edited on
‎10-15-2007 06:51 AM

Problem Solver

Message 432 of 445 (7,508 Views)

[ Edited ]
Please see the 134 posts in the beta.comcast.net forum, none of which were addressed in the version being rolled out.  Also see the many posts in this forum which were locked, asking the posters to respond in the beta.comcast.net forum.  Since the developers ignores all that feedback, I'm not sure what the purpose of another thread would be.

Message Edited by Welcome_to_Post on 10-15-2007 06:51 AM
Posted by
Visitor

Message 433 of 445 (7,510 Views)

EG,

That's 3 clicks and $43 a month but who's counting.  Upload speeds (which i use more than download) are still higher with DSL than cable.  And is it too much to ask for a portal that serves several thousand customers to default to a login.  Really it's just that simple.
Posted by
Edited on
‎10-15-2007 01:21 AM

Connection Expert

Message 434 of 445 (7,526 Views)

[ Edited ]
OMG 3 clicks......  Why do you have to change providers because of this trivial issue ??

Look at this post by EarlyOut and try his suggestion instead of clicking 3 times.

To create a desktop shortcut, scroll down a bit farther to see his instructions.

Message Edited by EG on 10-15-2007 01:21 AM

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
Posted by
Visitor

Message 435 of 445 (7,537 Views)

The only reason I use Comcast.net is to read my e-mails.  Now it takes 3 screens just to get there.  It was bad enough when it would default to your lousy search engine.  Now three screens to read my e-mail?  And this is an improvement?  Time to look at DSL where the downloads are now as fast but the uploads are faster, and cheaper. 
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 436 of 445 (7,565 Views)

raaman wrote:
I've been a long time customer of Comcast's internet service. This, I believe is their third or fourth change in home pages. I've seen the same complaints with each revisionm, with many asking for the old page back. In fact, when the most recent "old page" was new, I recall people hating it. Now they want it back. Give the new page some time and you'll become used to it. So, when Comcast does their next revision in a couple of years, you all can complain again!

Smiley Wink

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
Posted by
Visitor

Message 437 of 445 (7,567 Views)

Reasons why I don't like new home page.

1. Can't be modified - way too much stuff that I don't want to see.
2. Cluttered - hard to find what I want to see.
3. Unfinished - since Comcast has not finished with development,
           we're stuck with a poor result. Nice plan guys!!

Suggestions:

1. Allow users to modify, as before.
2. Simplifiy. Remember "KISS" - Keep it simple stupid!
3. Return the old home page until Comcast finishes the job.
4. Give us some straight answers: What was the real reason why Comcast pushed out an unfinished product?
        Tell us now if we're going to be allowed to modify the home page. No sense waiting around for something
          that's not going to happen.  Was it really a department manager who made unrealistic promisses about
          the time needed to produce a new home page, thus forcing those below him to put out an incomplete
          product?
5. Avoid further emulation of Microsoft's need to release unfinished products. Please.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 438 of 445 (7,571 Views)

I've been a long time customer of Comcast's internet service. This, I believe is their third or fourth change in home pages. I've seen the same complaints with each revisionm, with many asking for the old page back. In fact, when the most recent "old page" was new, I recall people hating it. Now they want it back. Give the new page some time and you'll become used to it. So, when Comcast does their next revision in a couple of years, you all can complain again!
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 439 of 445 (7,585 Views)

Here is my feedback:
  • I need to be able to modify the page to my liking, much like the old page.  I searched around and cannot find that functionality.
  • What happened to the science- and technology-related items?  I'm an engineer and I'm interested in this stuff to the exclusion of the gossipy stuff.
  • I agree with jcavnor, the teeny-bopper/gossipy stuff is really offensive to me - how do I eliminate it?
  • I like the buttons for email, voicemail, etc. at the top left edge.  Now if they all just worked... (I know, you're still working on them).

Thanks for listening

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 440 of 445 (7,593 Views)

douglashh wrote:
You keep asking for comments but when the comments are negative you look the thread.

douglashh,

If you read my first post in this thread, you will see that this is not the case.  If my intent was to avoid or bury negative comments, it would be a simple manner to edit or delete the posts. I certainly would not have gone through the effort to create and maintain this thread.  The previous threads were locked because following multiple threads on the same topic is very confusing.  This is exactly how we have handled this type of scenario in the past, regardless of the topic being discussed.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 441 of 445 (7,601 Views)

After following this forum for a while it is evident that Comcast does not really want feedback, witness the many posts with complaints that are closed and locked to further posts. 1) Comcast took away our choice to chose content and arrangement. 2) Assistant and Mail block other content. 3) I don't want, like or appreciate ads in conjunction with a service I am already paying handsomely for. In today's world it's all about choice and Comcast has gone in the opposite direction. . . NO CHOICE. You keep asking for comments but when the comments are negative you look the thread. Why bother asking, Comcast has a long history of ignoring it's customers.
Posted by
Edited on
‎10-14-2007 09:43 PM

Visitor

Message 442 of 445 (7,609 Views)

[ Edited ]
I do not like much of the content on the beta page. 
I miss the weather at a glance.
I miss my science and health news. 
Fo those of us who are not into the teen culture/celebrity gossip- this page is offensive. 
I do not want sports scores daily.
I want to be able to choose what I see.
I do not care about 95% of the things on this homepage.  
Poor excuse for an upgrade- more like a punishment. 
If it doesn't change- I will find another homepage.

Message Edited by jcavnor on 10-14-2007 06:43 PM
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 443 of 445 (7,614 Views)

Thanx CT.  Some of these changes are being considered or are in the works.  I cannot give any timeframes, however, we will continue to add functionality and expand on the content.
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 444 of 445 (7,623 Views)

Hello Michael:

1 In general I like the new page, loads faster, less flash content etc..
2. The assistant doesn't work very well. The stock watch list doesn't work at all. The sports portion has only MLB. and the only modification I've found that works is for the weather.
3. It would be nice if you could modify the page and move items around so what was most important to the user could be place conviently. Possibly modify the background color (skins.. ala the forums)
4. The cursor still focuses in the Search box (That has always been a bad idea).
TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 445 of 445 (7,761 Views)

Comcast.net Portal Changes

As most of you know by now, Comcast is in the process of changing over the Comcast.net Portal to a new look.  This is a phased approach.  Some people will be seeing the changes before others.

There have been many new threads started on this topic and it can get confusing when the same questions get asked and answered in multiple threads.  This thread has been created so that Comcast.net users can post their feedback.  We will also be providing any relevant updates via this thread.  Here are some additional notes and reminders.

- Please be as detailed as possible in your feedback and where ever possible, provide suggestions on what could be done differently.  Making posts like "I hate it" or "change it back" may make you feel better, but do not do much in terms of providing actionable feedback.
- Please be civil.  We welcome all feedback, both positive and negative.  And while it is ok to post your feelings about the changes, there is absolutely no reason to insult the developers or other individuals.  It does nothing to further your point and is generally uncalled for.
- Respect the opinions of others.  We have millions of customers, representing all walks of like.  Not everyone has the same tastes and opinions.
- If you have already posted feedback in one of the other threads, there is no reason to duplicate it here.  This is intended to avoid duplication of posts and is not meant to prevent adding additional feedback to your original comments.
- To prevent confusion, previous threads on this topic will be locked.
- Please be sure to review the Forum Guidelines to see what is and is not allowed here.

New page is blank.

- Some users are currently seeing a blank page.  Clearing your cache and cookies will usually correct this problem.