New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast AnyRoom DVR?!?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 36

When is this feature coming Comcast? AT&T's U-Verse allows anyone to watch DVR content on non-dvr STB's.

I would gladly trade AnyRoom OnDemand for AnyRoom DVR.

35 REPLIES
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 36
They apparently had this shown at the philly show, and according to a couple of posts by some mod's here they are using this in testing.   Hopefully that means sooner rather than later
Posted by
Contributor

Message 3 of 36
Here's to hoping! Maybe Comcast could 1up AT&T by also allowing us to DVR 4 HD channels at once.
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 4 of 36
They would need to change the DVR hardware to add more tuners in order to do that.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 5 of 36
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 6 of 36
i do not have a timeline, but i hope to see this to be out sometime this year
George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 7 of 36
Good news Gearoge. Will we have to have boxes made by the same manufacturer for it to work properly though?
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 8 of 36

Ambidextro wrote:
Good news Gearoge. Will we have to have boxes made by the same manufacturer for it to work properly though?

They will need specific boxes, yes. Please don't quote me, but a Motorola could not pull form Cisco and vice versa.. I don't have all the details immediately available to me. I am hoping to see us launch this later this year.
George Lunski

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 9 of 36

Hrmm then "hypothetically speaking", I would need to get 2 DCX 3200's to work with my DCX 3400 since I currently have 2 Pace RNG-110's and the DCX 3400. Local cable store(s) in my area never seem to have the DCX 3200's in stock. Being unsuccessful at getting the DCX 3200's two weeks in a row and highly successful at wasting gas and time, I gave up and got the Pace RNG-110's.

Which brings me to a suggestion, how about putting a system in place online via our comcast.net accounts where all comcast customers can order whatever STB they want, provided that it's been deployed in their area. That way we can place an order, get notified via email,app,phone, Etc... Etc... that your box is ready and waiting for you to come pick it up at our local cable store. Just a guess but doing so might create more jobs and happier customers :-) 

My suggestion is just a rough draft but maybe you could pass it on to the appropriate person and let em run with it. Thanks much George!

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 10 of 36

Ambidextro wrote:

Hrmm then "hypothetically speaking", I would need to get 2 DCX 3200's to work with my DCX 3400 since I currently have 2 Pace RNG-110's and the DCX 3400. Local cable store(s) in my area never seem to have the DCX 3200's in stock. Being unsuccessful at getting the DCX 3200's two weeks in a row and highly successful at wasting gas and time, I gave up and got the Pace RNG-110's.

Which brings me to a suggestion, how about putting a system in place online via our comcast.net accounts where all comcast customers can order whatever STB they want, provided that it's been deployed in their area. That way we can place an order, get notified via email,app,phone, Etc... Etc... that your box is ready and waiting for you to come pick it up at our local cable store. Just a guess but doing so might create more jobs and happier customers :-) 

My suggestion is just a rough draft but maybe you could pass it on to the appropriate person and let em run with it. Thanks much George!

hello ambi,

the appropriate cable leadership review the cable category forums every day. they will be able to see your feedback and discuss further.

thank you for participating here and let us know if can assist further.

George Lunski

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 11 of 36

Comcast is using Motorola DCX 3400m and DCX 3200m set tops for AnyRoom DVR. The "m" is important as that denotes a MoCA chip in the cable box. 

A non-MoCA cable set top won't work as part of Comcast's multiroom DVR solution. I don't think that Comcast's multiroom DVR solution or MoCA cable boxes are widely available yet.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 12 of 36

If comcast forces me to get a settop box, I will be looking to get a DVR settop box instead.  If the DVR does not support multi-room, then I will be taking a look at the hardware offered by DirectTV and Dish.  I know they are both working on multiroom. 

Of course, I can always buy TIVO boxes but I refuse to pay for their expensive subscription, which multiplies with multiple boxes.  I'm not a big TV viewer but there are a couple shows I would like to time shift and be able to watch on any of my TVs without having to record the program at each TV.  

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 13 of 36

Comcast anyroom DVR is in testing.  Widespread deployment is unknown, as Comcast is slow at deploying anything people want. 

Look into a Moxi with multiroom support.  3 tuners and no subscriptions.  Moxi Mate for the other rooms.  Works with your existing home network, and MOCA support coming this year.  All you need to add is a cable card for your digital Comcast service.

http://moxi.com/us/home.html

Message Edited by JayInAlg on 02-22-2010 09:12 PM

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 14 of 36

Yeah they sure are slow at deploying goodies. I could understand if they were new to the cable market but they've been around for years. There's no reason to be so sloooow when it comes to deployment of new tech or so archaic in their methods for delivering it via hardware & software.

Although I will say in my area Comcast picked up the ball that AT&T dropped on their own heads and ran with it. Infrastructure upgrades came fast and furious around here, tech support got way better & for the most part they kicked some serious behind in getting the cable in our area up to snuff. Which of course any cable company with a decent head on their shoulders could've made what they did look fabulous after the bar had been lowered into the depths of h e ll by AT&T. Still, they did it and quickly. Not too sure why I went into that rant but this thread might be headed way off course.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 15 of 36
I do know that Rockford, IL has been testing this feature in our area. I have been told this is to roll out 6-8 weeks. It was supposed to already have started in February but had some bugs that needed to be worked out.
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 16 of 36

That sounds promising  for sure, and hopefully full deployment is soon.  Comcast's track record of "testing / trialing" vs "deployment" is not good.

Thanks much for the update, I appreciate it.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 17 of 36

I haven't seen any DXC m series boxes in my area although we do have the DCX series boxes available. I think the 3200's don't exist as I've tried to get 2 for over 2 months. Gotta love wasting gas,time & money.

I have however checked the diagnostic menu on our non-M series DCX3400 and it does have a MoCA chip.Let me clarify something quickly, what I mean by non-M series is I don't see an M anywhere on the STB. So I'm willing to bet any of the 3200's have this as well. Not slamming you here Tedtv just making sure people don't get confused and think they have to go swap STB's "if and when" AnyRoom DVR arrives. Some clarification from a comcast official on this would be nice if at all possible.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 18 of 36

They are requiring the dcx3400 as the main device, and then using dcx3200m as the devices that activate the anyroom dvr.  I believe they will need to come out and set it up as it requires filters on non dcx devices in the house.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 19 of 36

When is comcast gonna offer multi room dvr?  So I can record a show in one room and watch it in another room?

Posted by
Visitor
Visitor

Message 20 of 36

This feature is available now on Verizon Fios.  When will Comcast have it?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 21 of 36

Being tested now, we'll see when they roll it out to all markets.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 22 of 36

It's supposed to be available in Rockford IL this summer, one of the first area's to get it.  We will all be watching for deployment announcements for more areas.

There are no public rollout schedules posted.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 23 of 36

Check the Comcast Voices blog, It's available today to customers in areas of GA and MA...at least that is what it says there - Under the March 24 comments.

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/01/new-guide-makes-watching-tv-even-better.html#more

We are currently offering our AnyRoom DVR service to customers in parts of Massachusetts and Georgia and are beginning to roll it out to other markets. We look forward to bringing our multi-room DVR solution to additional customers throughout the year.

You already have AnyRoom On Demand today, covering thousands of movies and the best TV shows.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 24 of 36

George,

I picked up a DCX3425 at my local Comcast office and am waiting for the installer to add the filter, etc.

Will I be able to watch shows on the 3425 which were recorded on my DCT3416 and vice versa, or do I need new HD-DVRs all around to allow the AnyRoom DVR functionality? 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 25 of 36

No.  That capability isn't available yet.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 26 of 36

It is coming to the Chicago area very soon but you will not see commercials for it for several more weeks. It will require a tech to come out to the house, all boxes will have HD capability.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 27 of 36

http://www.comcast.com/anyroomdvr/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/01/comcast-starts-offering-multiroom-features-500gb-hard-drives-wi/

Requires the DCX3400M DVR MoCA server box and uses DCX3200M network boxes.

Any idea when this will come to Florida (Pompano)?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 28 of 36

Well I just got this feature enabled as of a few days ago and am very happy with it so far. Obviously a few other companies have had this tech in place for a little while now but so far so good. While its still in it's infancy for paid customer use I'm glad it's finally here. Now we can all debate/speculate and reiterate about what features could be added/removed or just plain off never introduced.

I have run across a small hiccup and I'm going to post a possible solution in a new thread. Thread is below

http://forums.comcast.net/t5/Cable-TV-Equipment/Anyroom-DVR-HD-DVR-content-missing-on-HD-terminals-P...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 29 of 36

Ambidextro wrote:

Well I just got this feature enabled as of a few days ago and am very happy with it so far. Obviously a few other companies have had this tech in place for a little while now but so far so good. While its still in it's infancy for paid customer use I'm glad it's finally here. Now we can all debate/speculate and reiterate about what features could be added/removed or just plain off never introduced.

I have run across a small hiccup and I'm going to post a possible solution in a new thread. Thread is below

http://forums.comcast.net/t5/Cable-TV-Equipment/Anyroom-DVR-HD-DVR-content-missing-on-HD-terminals-P...

I am having this installed tomorrow. I guess you got the DCX3400 500GB HD/DVR server box and the DCX3200 HD slave box? It would be nice if I could transfer some programs from by current DCH3416 box to the new DCX3400 box.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 30 of 36

Yep those are exactly the boxes we got. DCX3400M 500GB (confirmed via diagnostic menu)and the DCX3200M.

Hate to say it but you'll most likely never be able to have content transfered from one Comcast DVR to another. Copyright protection laws and all that jazz.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 31 of 36

Comcast came to install my Anyroom DVR todaySmiley Happy  The tech told me that each room needed to have a dedicated cable coming from a single splitter downstream from the filter he would be installing. In the living room I have a single cable outlet in the wall. From there I have the line from the wall split to my cable modem, dvr, and a cable card tuner. The tech told me that for the 3400m to work he would have to run a seperate drop from the central splitter so that there were no splitters between the 3400m and the central splitter. I ended up not having the Anyroom installed since the tech did want to deal with the tight crawl space.  Running the dedicated line on the outside of the house/interior wall is not something I was interested in having done for esthetic reasons. Can anyone confirm that the Anyroom boxes have to be on their own unsplit lines?              

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 32 of 36

Sorry, yes, there are many homes not wired properly for the anyroom DVR to be connected.  The tech was correct that the DVR line needs to be dedicated to the main splitter.

So it was that he did not want to deal with the crawl?  I would think that if you wanted to continue with this project, he could have offered you some coax cable so you can pull the coax yourself if your capable & willing and wanted this option.  Then he could come back, terminate and connect up the new coax.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but with years of cabling experience, I know way too many homes I have worked on that are not wired properly for the anyroom DVR.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 33 of 36

Didn't want to deal with the crawl?! Well that's just lazy unless it was a phobia or a safety concern. You pay for service not to mention the cost of having the tech come out so make sure to keep them honest and have them do their job. Or have them call a another tech to the site to help them do it (commen sense). FYI-They do have tools to aid in running cable under the crawlspace. Granted the tools don't always work.

The reason everything must be a seperate line from a splitter is so that you don't lose DB. Comcast techs in my area will no longer install 3 way splitters for that exact reason. All coax lines must be a dedicated run from 2-way/4-way splitters. Otherwise it's YOU, the end user, who will suffer with cable/internet/phone problems.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 34 of 36

Was informed today by Comcast customer service that the Chicago area launch date will be September 28th, 2010. We'll see.........

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 35 of 36

Any credible launch date for Anyroom DVR in 66062 (Olathe, KS).  Customer service has been unable to give me any information??

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 36 of 36

What needs to happen is that all the boxes are on the same line connected together, but it shouldn't matter as to what locations they are in.

In my house, the main line comes into the 2nd bedroom. There it splits to one DCX3200M and the line continues to the master bedroom. There it splits 3 ways, one to a DCX3200M, one to a cable modem, and one line to the living room. The line going to the living room then splits to a DCX3400M (server) box and to a eMTA voice modem.

So as you can see, the line get's split a lot, but they are all connected together.