Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Channel issues with cablecard on Tivo

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 5

Hoping someone can assist.

I am having issues with 4 of my HD channels.  Everything else seems to be fine but my HD channels 432, 434, 438 and 439 have intermittant garbling or are completely unviewable.

I have a Tivo Roamio with cablecard.  I have tried swapping out the cable card to no effect.  As I say, it isn't constant but it is the majority of the time.  Here is an example of the diagnostics on my Tivo for one of the affected channels:

Can anyone shed any light on why I would have a few garbled HD channels on an intermittent basis? Specifically, it is four channels in close proximity to each other (432, 434, 438 and 439). I've swapped cable cards without success. Comcast is blaming the Tivo (of course) but I'm not convinced since it is an intermittent problem. Here is an example of the diagnostics screen for channel 432 at a time when the signal is garbled:

Tuner: 0
Channel 432
Frequency: 79000KHz
Modulation: QAM 256
Program Number 2
Signal Source: Cable
Connector Type: RF 2
Channel Bits: 3176474
Signal Strength: 98%
Signal Lock: Yes
Program Lock: Yes
Search Complete: Yes
SNR: 39dB
RS Uncorrected: 137465667
RS Corrected: 393361744
RC State: Available
Current Tuning Status: Tuned: Success
Tune State: In progress
etc.

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 2 of 5

evanstok wrote: ... I have tried swapping out the cable card to no effect. ...

Cablecards are rarely the cause of garbled sound and/or video.

... it is four channels in close proximity to each other (432, 434, 438 and 439). ...

Channel 432   Frequency: 79000KHz

Channel numbers close to each other may or may not be close together in frequency. Do also you have the frequencies for channels 434, 438, and 439?

... RS Uncorrected: 137465667  RS Corrected: 393361744 ...

These seem high. My 4 tuner Roamio, reset yesterday, is still reading 0 for both RS Uncorrected and RS Corrected on all 4 tuners.

Although the Tivo might be bad, it's more likely that the signal for the channel you are trying to watch is too weak or has too much noise, most often due to a poor connection between the Tivo and Comcast's network. The signal strenth (98%) and SNR ( 39dB ) you posted are good, but the high error counts suggest signal problems nevertheless.

Troubleshoot by checking all connectors and looking for damaged coax cable. Running the cable through a surge protector, a defective splitter, or too many splitters can cause signal problems as well. If there is an amplifier in the line make sure it's getting power.

If you can't find the problem, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or chat with them using one of the "Trouble" options at https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry/. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/account/service-protection-plan/, about $6/mo). If the trouble is due to anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

Tivo's Troubleshooting Digital Signals page may help you.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 3 of 5

I've tried a variety of different configurations of splitters, attenuators and boosters without success.  I have, however, found a pattern to the disruption.

I went through my entire list of channels in order to see if I could find every one that is out.  I don't know if this means anything at all but here is what I found:

The following channels are so disrupted that they do not come in at all and generate V53 errors:
432 - Frequency 79000KHz 
434 - Frequency 79000KHz
220 - Frequency 79000KHz
217 - Frequency 79000KHz

The following channels are very badly garbled but do not generate an error message:
439 - Frequency 85000KHz 
438 - Frequency 85000KHz
201 - Frequency 85000KHz 
202 - Frequency 85000KHz 
203 - Frequency 85000KHz 
204 - Frequency 85000KHz 
205 - Frequency 85000KHz 
207 - Frequency 85000KHz
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 4 of 5

evanstok wrote: ... 432 - Frequency 79000KHz  434 - Frequency 79000KHz ...
439 - Frequency 85000KHz  438 - Frequency 85000KHz ...

Your Comcast channels 432 and 434 are both on lowband RF channel 5 (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_television_frequencies#Cable_television), and Comcast channels 438 and 439 are on adjacent RF channel 6. Garbled channels may or may not generate v53 errors, depending of the nature and severity of the signal impairment.

As stated above, you need a tech. Tivo's tech support (https://support.tivo.com/ContactTiVoSupport) may be able to help rule out the Roamio as the source of the problem.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 5 of 5

Yeah, I have a tech scheduled to come out Monday.