New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can I buy my own DVR or cable box?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 1 of 2

Yes. You can purchase your own device or DVR available from a legitimate retailer and-or authorized reseller in the United States. 

Below are a list of a few of the models of "purchasable equipment" that Comcast supports:

Company

Model #

ADB

DMX-CT1

Diego, Inc

HDDMR7000

Mitsubishi

HD-6000

Mitsubishi

HD-4001

Motorola

HDT300

Samsung

GX-SM530CF

Sony

DHG-HDD 250

Tivo

TCD652160

Tivo

TCD648250B

Tivo

TCD658000

Tivo

TCD748000

Tivo

TCD746320

Tivo

TCDA90000

Tivo

TCD750500

Tivo

TCD848000

Tivo

TCD840300

Tivo

TCD758250

Tivo

TCD846500

Any Tivo device. 

Any customer owned device (above) would need to be activated via a Comcast-supplied cable card.  

Will I be charged to use a CableCARD?
The first CableCARD in a retail CableCARD device is free to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (as is the case with certain older model TiVo devices), a charge will be applied based on your area.

Will I receive an equipment credit if I use my own CableCARD-compatible retail device?
If you own a CableCARD-compatible device with an activated CableCARD and subscribe to an XFINITY TV service package that includes equipment as part of the service, you will receive a monthly equipment credit of $2.50 for each CableCARD-compatible retail device on your account. To learn more, see our Customer Owned Equipment Policy. http://www.xfinity.com/equipmentpolicy

Some additional detailed information can be found at the links below:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/how-to-get-a-cablecard

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
1 REPLY
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 2

What about Motorola or Scientific-Atlanta or Cisco or Pace cable boxes on online auction sites ?

The monthly cost for Comcast Digital Cable service includes rental charge for the digital cable box. There is currently no savings for purchasing your own digital converter on your primary cable outlet.

Comcast is compliant with the FCC ruling that we offer customers the option to purchase a digital descrambler through authorized retail outlets. Comcast would then supply the customer with a POD (point of deployment) authorization card (cable card).

However, we are not aware of any Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco/Pace digital converters being offered through authorized retail outlets in the United Sates. Since we know of no authorized retailers or cable companies yet selling these digital converters in the United States, any such device could be the property of Comcast or another cable company.

If we determine by the serial number that the box is lost or stolen and/or the property of another cable company, we would not support it. Information received would then be turned over to the proper authorities.

Also, please see our Posting Guidelines: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Do not post advertisements or solicitations 

The Comcast Help Forums are not to be used for trading/swapping, selling or advertising non-Comcast products, services, or other online venues. This includes multilevel marketing schemes and soliciting funds or other donations for what may or may not be a charitable cause. Members who post referral links to these sites will have their posts/signatures edited and may be subject to banning. Community memberships created solely for such purposes will be banned.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon