Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Best options for 2 TVs? Box rental? Buy a Tivo? Coax straight to TV?

New Poster

Best options for 2 TVs? Box rental? Buy a Tivo? Coax straight to TV?

Haven't had cable TV in years. In my old place, we had (basic) cable TV as part of our HOA package, and that smaller company just gave us as many cable boxes as we asked for.

Now I have Comcast internet, but we're about to get cable TV too, as a friend is moving into the basement and he wants cable.

So I've poked around, but the official faq's around here aren't particularly clear about what charges are for what. So here's what I know so far:

The package we're looking at is 220 channels & internet for $109/mo. Comcast will give us 1 HD cable box. I assume there's a fee for a second box, is there any way around that? If we just connect the coax straight to the TV we'll only get SD local channels, right? So for the second box is it more cost efficient to buy my own box? Get a Tivo myself and use a cable card from Comcast? What are my options here and what's the most cost effective?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Best options for 2 TVs? Box rental? Buy a Tivo? Coax straight to TV?

Hooking coax straight to the tv won't get you anything. Comcast requires a box of some sort for all channels, even the basic channels.

Official Employee

Re: Best options for 2 TVs? Box rental? Buy a Tivo? Coax straight to TV?

Hello BenXCline. 

What commanguy has stated is correct. Hooking the coax to the back of the TV will not get you any service. You will need either a cable box or a digital adapter box to get channels. 

I can give you an accurate estimate for cable boxes in your area, if you send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number.

Also, adding an cable card as additional to an HD box would cost the same as a secondary cable box. This would solely be your preference. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon