Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Audio problem - weird digital/computer type sound in background

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 62

Over the past week, I have noticed a very weird digital/electronic sound in the background of the audio for various channels.  I watch HD exclusively and I experience this on various channels when watching sports.  It is bizarre and does not happen with all channels.

Does anybody have any clue what the root cause may be of this kind of problem?

61 REPLIES
Posted by
Visitor

Message 2 of 62

Me too, since Sat 9/17/11 I have had no sound at all on several channels. Interestingly, sometimes the sound will "pop on" for that Xfinity red couch at the football game commercial but then it goes silent when the programming resumes. There is often a slight "pop" when I change to a "silent channel" -- I'm also surprised to see that there are no service alerts for my area regarding this issue. Am I the only one with silent channels?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 3 of 62

if you have one of the small dta boxes have you pressed the language button?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 4 of 62

Not sure what box you mean?  I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD that I have had for about 3 years I think.  It is bizarre that it only occurs on some channels - CBSHD and FOXHD today during football games.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 5 of 62

you have a different box than what I was talking about.  I have many people here recently complaining about fox hd on sunday from different areas.  Makes me think its a fox issue

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 62

I don't think so - I've experienced the problem on ESPNHD, ESPN2 HD, ESPNU HD, ABC HD.  It always seem to occur during sporting events.  What about all those crazy audio options with compression and stuff - what is the recommended setting for standard use?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 7 of 62

that depends on your taste.  I have mine set to advanced heavy compression.   Does this happen regularly?  are you hooked up to your tv hdmi?  If you are you can try component cables and see what that does.  Its all about trying to isolate the issue.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 8 of 62

It's not specific to any channel, it happens on ALL channels for me. Live and not live programs. Programs I've recorded on the DVR and programs I'm watching when they are actually on. It's a pattern of electronic beeps that recurs every 5 seconds. I've noticed it since early Spring 2011, but it could have been going on longer.

So i'm thinking (unless it happens to people who have other cable companies) it must be a Comcast issue.

Has anyone tried calling Comcast to ask about it? I'm almost to that point. It happens on all shows that I watch and while some people seem not to notice it, it drives  me to distraction and I can't pay attention to what I'm watching.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 62

i knew i wasn't crazy and it's cetainly a significant issue.  I am watching TerraNova on Fox HD tonight and every 5 seconds i can hear the digital "beeping" type sound and it is terrible.  I've contacted Comcast and of course the idiots say they have no knowledge of this type of issue.  I have an appointment setup for sunday but i have extremely low confidence they will resolve the issue.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 10 of 62

I have had this sound issue on Fox HD since mid September - most noticably during Fox NFL sunday broadcasts.

I have 2 different Tvs hooked up via HDMI.  Both Cisco RNG200N boxes (HD DVRs).  The sound is on both TVs so it is either a Comcast or Fox issue. 

The sound is an electronic sounding noise (sounds like a video game background music) every couple of seconds.  Very annoying. 

Comcast, please address this.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 11 of 62

Update:  I had a Comcast technician at my place today.  I recorded a football game broadcast from ESPN2 HD yesterday that you can clearly hear the underlying digital/electronic sound.  The tech claimed NOT to be able to hear the sound.  He did some basic diagnostic test and said my signal might be too STRONG.  Then checked the connection at the drop box and said he submitted a maintenance ticket for the drop box.

The problem still continues this afternoon while watching NFL on Fox HD and CBS HD.

Comcast - please have an expert provide a resolution to this problem.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 12 of 62

Having the EXACT same problem.  I thought maybe it was my TV.  Glad I'm not crazy.  It's hit or miss on which channels.  It's not just FOX.  But it's always when watching HD.  Making me crazy! 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 13 of 62

I'm having the same problem as well. It's driving me crazy. It almost sounds like an old-school cell phone ring in the background. I find it's mostly on programs I've recorded on my dvr. It's not just Fox or ESPN - I've been getting it on ABC, CBS and TBS as wll. It seems to be coming through during tv programs, but not during commercials. I also seem to notice it pops up more often if there is applause or cheering.

I don't have HD. Using a cisco DVR machine.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 14 of 62

So glad I browsed the forum, I have the same issue mostly noticed w/ fox, I do not use a converter box.

(sometimes I watch thru dta)  BUT I heard it on the tv when it was using antenna setting  hd fox ota so I think its a fox issue I cant attest to the sports channels.

Anyway I thought I was bananas, thanks for posting it!  I do think Ive heard it on others but cant be sure off the bat I do know fox because I was watching terra nova too but w/ antenna  hd lcd digital tv.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 15 of 62

ALL,

I'm sorry that everyone is having the same issues with their cable services. Can everyone follow these troubleshooting steps for me:

1. Unplug the coax cable cord from your Cable box and look at the wire and make sure it's straight and has no damages to it.

2. Plug the coax cord back in making sure it's tight and secure.

3. If you have splitters please check those connection and make sure there's no damage and that they are plugged in tight and secure.

4. Unplug your box from the wall outlet for 2minutes.

5. Give your TV and cable box at least 15minutes to reboot and the guide to start loading for you before attempting to change channels. If this doesn't work please let me know a technician may be required to resolve any further issues.

****Your cable guide and on demand may take up to 45minutes to fully restore.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 16 of 62
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 17 of 62

---

Try unplugging the TV and the connection from the antenna to your TV set. Make sure that connection is working. Does this happen when you are watching movies through a DVD player? If so it may be your TV.

Does this happen on your other TV's that have the cable boxes connected to them? 

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 18 of 62

This problem is on all my TV's.  It is not the TV's.  It is the comcast signal or the boxes.  I recently moved and it was not occurring on my TV's prior to the move.  Really annoying.  I have now been experiencing the problem more often.  At first it was only on Fox HD on Sunday nfl.  Now it is only more channels... tbs, tnt. etc.  

It is obviously the comcast signal.  Does not happen on DVD's or streaming (non-comcast) movies.  

P.S.  I just got a new TV and it is even happening on the new TV.  THis is further evidence that it is on Comcast's end.  

Please help

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 19 of 62
Posted by
Visitor

Message 20 of 62

Im experiencing the same exact problem. Ive tried all suggested troubleshooting suggestion to no avail. The sound is most prevalent during live TV, such as sports games. People all over the country are also experiencing the same sound, and there are even youtube videos pointing out the sound. I even read an article that says the sound was heard by hundreds of people during the Emmys.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 21 of 62

Comcast Technician - I am watching the ALDS baseball game on TBS HD and can hear the electroning/digital beeping the backgroun of the audio as clear as day.

You have a global issue - that's evident from the responses in the thread.  Please do something to resolve the issue or we need to consider alternatives.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 22 of 62

I am still having the problem and a Comcast tech is coming tomorrow.  I cannot wait for that complete waste of time.  I guarantee the problem will not be solved even with the tech coming.  

Plus, I have googled this problem and found several other posts about it.  It looks like this problem is not isolated to comcast -  the various posts mentioned the problem also on Verizon Fios and Directtv.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/333021

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 23 of 62

so its the network not the carrier so the whole thread is a waste of time.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 24 of 62

All,
Sorry about the issues you are experiencing. I have escalated all the issues you posted on this thread. tvaholic7,pangbun,vayankeegrl ,Shelli225,Sarliza and stayready someone will be in contact with you soon.

jbombien-
I see your work order for a tech today. I have escalated to have someone followup after the technician leaves to ensure everything was resolved.

ptghokie-
please send me a private message with your customer account number and put this post in the body so that I can get this issue escalated for you as well.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Posted by
Visitor

Message 25 of 62

I am listening to the Seahawks-Giants football game on Fox, and I notice that the noise (seven distinct harpsichord-like tones recurring every five seconds) only happens during the live broadcast segments from the field.  The tones are not present during the studio broadcasts or during advertising.

The noise was also present last night during the Tigers-Rangers baseball game last night.  I have a set-top converter with rabbit ears.  I've heard this noise for many months, but only during live sports events.  Since others have said the noise was present during the Emmys, I think the problem might lie with the network's remote broadcast equipment and not with the carriers or with customer's equipment.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 26 of 62

Keisha - how do I send you a private message?

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 27 of 62

Click on Keisha's name in red and then you will see "send a private message" on the right side.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Highlighted
Posted by
Visitor

Message 28 of 62

I recently moved and I had DirecTV at the old place.  I noticed the sound when football started back in August.  I still notice it now, however mainly on ABC or ESPN.  So it seems it is the networks.  

This is all HD channels too, I can't comment on SD channels.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 29 of 62

----

Thank you for your private message. I have escalated your issue and someone will be in contact with you to resolve this for you.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Posted by
Visitor

Message 30 of 62

I have directv also and the issue is primarily on ABC/ESPN channels during live sports/shows.  I was told that you need to contact the broadcasting company directly so they can investigate.  I'm not holding out much hope that my complaint to ABC will be passed to an engineer.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 31 of 62

Been having the same problem the last few months. Notice it on ABC mostly, interestingly it doesn't occur during the commercials. It occurs on multiple TVs with different types of boxes. Have unplugged cable, power with no luck.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 32 of 62

I have the same problem. It happens on both of my tvs. It does not happen when i am watching a dvd or playing a video game. Please help.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 33 of 62

Keystonecruiser, Turner_Fam234 and aschmid1---

Sorry about the issues you are having. Have you tried the above troubleshooting steps first? If not please try them they have resolve most customers issues.

If you have and these steps did not work please let me know.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 34 of 62

Keystonecruiser, Turner_Fam234 and aschmid1---

Sorry about the issues you are having. Have you tried the above troubleshooting steps first? If not please try them they have resolve most customers issues.

If you have and these steps did not work please let me know.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Message 35 of 62

I am also having this problem.  My parents also.

We live in opposite ends of town and experience the same faint beeping.

This has been happening for a few months.  My particular cable setup was performed

by a comcast installer.  I don't buy that it is an issue with a coax or splitter.

It is extremely frustrating as it comes and goes.

It is mostly during movies and happens alot on AMC and TBS.

This is a joke. 

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 36 of 62

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 37 of 62

This problem was so glaringly evident during the Stanford/Oregon last night on ABC HD.  There is an almost constant "digital beeping" in the background of the audio.  ABC or ESPN has to be aware of the problem or made aware of the problem. Is there ANYTHING that Comcast can do to help its customers?

Can Comcast at least verify that the problem is at the source?  If not, I need to find an alternative like Direct TV or something.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 38 of 62

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Posted by
Visitor

Message 39 of 62

I am hearing this now on the American Music Awards.  So annoying!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 40 of 62

Also heard it on American Music Awards - made it unwatchable. It's also very prevalent right now during the Michigan-Ohio State game. It is to the point now that the issue is driving me crazy. It has been about three months now, and no matter what I do and no matter what Comcast tries, the problem is never fixed.

I've tried digital audio, analog audio, and hdmi audio through a receiver and through my TV. I've changed the coaxial cable. We experience the issue on all of our cable boxes. I've called Comcast several times regarding this issue, but every time they act as if they've never heard of the issue. They've sent me new boxes for all of our TVs, which was an annoying process to setup all of our series recordings, etc., but the issue remains on every new box.

For us, it is most noticeable during live events, particularly sports. It is not channel specific, but abc/espn, fox, and cbs are the worst.

A change must have been made, either by Comcast or the broadcasters, in how they deliver audio. All of us started experiencing the issue around the same time. When I ask tech support if they are aware of any changes, they always say no. If that is true, then why do all of my family/friends with directv have no problems?

I feel I've done all I can at this point, changing equipment and having tech support out to our place multiple times. If this isn't acknowledged/addressed, let alone fixed, I'll have no choice but to switch services. It is unacceptable to pay the amount of money we pay per month to deal with an issue like this.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 41 of 62

I have the exact same problem, although only on fox hd for football games.  tried the recommended troubleshoot, but did not work.  Thought I was going insane.  Currently watching the Cotton Bowl and can still here it every 5 seconds...

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Message 42 of 62

I have had this problem for several months.

Posted in another thread.

Comcast emailed me to tell me they would look into and get back to me.

Never happened.

I know other households with the problem and they are using different tvs and comcast boxes.

Good luck, comcast doesn't care.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 43 of 62

Definitely annoying. This electronic sounds reoccurs every 4.5 seconds. You can hear it the loudest during scenes without music or dialogue.

Sounds like a 1980s computer generated sound. A series of 6 to 8 high frequency audible tones.  

Once you hear it, it's hard to enjoy anything your watching, this noise gives me a head ache. 

When dialogue overlaps voices during the programming, the sound comes out metallic.

I already called Comcast to register a complaint.

I Googled this issue and people across the country are complaining.

This noise may be something called a Nielsen audio watermark or fingerprint, used to identify programming for data collection.

Comcast please help resolve this awful implementation of bad technology.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 44 of 62
Hello the noise strikes again ABC HD its awful makes the sports unwatchable. Im glad im not the only one having the problem. It always shows up on ABC. I was ready to tear my TV apart.Help Comcast
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 45 of 62
I have the same sound problem, only with GSN. I have digital in the living room and have no problems. The TV in the bedroom has the converter box, and when I tune to GSN (ch 179), no sound at all. All other channels are working just fine. I have disconnected things, and still have the same problem. Any other suggestions?
Posted by
Visitor

Message 46 of 62

My friends experienced this, so I decided to look into it.

A few of us noticed that it went away when we switched from listening in stereo to listening in 5.1 surround. Which makes us think that it is an encoding/decoding problem. 

Is anyone experiencing this when listening to both typical stereo sound coming from their TV as well as 5.1 in HD?  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 47 of 62
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 48 of 62
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 49 of 62

cocoapuffs

If you are having no sound a DTA press the LANG button on the DTA remote.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 50 of 62