Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

ANSWERED: How to upgrade your devices when you receive an upgrade letter from us?

If you receive a notice to update your equipment, please follow the below steps to order new equipment.

For rented equipment like TV Boxes and modems, you can choose one of the following four options:

1. Visit xfinity.com/equipmentupdate and follow the on-screen prompts to order new equipment. (Note: This option is not available to all customers.)
  2. Call us at 1-800-XFINITY to place an order, ask questions or schedule a professional installation. (Note: An additional fee may apply.)
  3. For TV Boxes, just use your own TV! Go to channel 1995 and follow the on-screen instructions to get a new TV Box shipped to your home.
  4. Visit us to exchange your existing equipment at an Xfinity Store or Comcast Service Center.

If you own equipment, please visit mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com to find compatible modems for your level of service. You can also check to see if your existing modem is up-to-date.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Why am I being asked to replace my equipment?
Over time, Internet and TV equipment must be updated to keep up with the latest technology. If you rent equipment from Comcast you are eligible for an update - on us!

Learn more about the importance of upgrading your equipment.

How much will my new equipment cost?
If you rent equipment and install the new TV Box and/or modem yourself, there is no charge for exchanging. We can also schedule a professional installation. (An additional fee may apply.)

What happens if I don't replace my equipment?

• TV Box: If you don't replace your TV Box, you may begin to lose HD channels or in some cases, all channels.
  • Modem: If you don't replace your modem, you won't get access to the latest security updates and may not experience the fastest in-home WiFi. You may experience a service interruption or slow Internet speeds.

What do I need to do with the old equipment once I receive my new device(s)?
There are three options for returning your rented equipment:

• By mail: Use the return label in your Self Installation Kit.
  • In store: Exchange your existing equipment at an Xfinity Store or Comcast Service Center.
  • By appointment: If your new equipment is professionally installed, your technician will take your existing equipment.

**Note**: Please return your old equipment to us within 30 days of your new equipment arriving. Please see here for details as to how to return your equipment (http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/My-Account/ANSWERED-How-to-Return-Your-Xfinity-Equipment/ta-p/3003387) as there is a charge for unreturned equipment.

I have more than one TV Box - how do I know which one(s) must be replaced?
Simply tune to channel 1995 on each of your TVs and follow the on-screen instructions. It will let you know if that TV Box is compatible with the upcoming changes or needs to be replaced. (TV Adapters - devices that are approximately the size of a deck of cards - will not need to be replaced.)

If you are eligible for X1, we will replace all of your TV Boxes for a whole home update.

What happens if I have a DVR?
For those of you with a DVR, saved recordings will not transfer and recordings for future programs will need to be reset on the new TV Box. Learn more about setting show recordings.

How quickly will I get my new equipment?
If you choose to have your equipment mailed to you, you should receive your new equipment in three to five business days. If we have a confirmed email on file, you'll receive a tracking number.

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎04-24-2018 10:51 AM
Updated by: