Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

password recovery options?

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 51 of 62

I have found a work through option, although it's not ideal for everyone.

I get the same redundant message every time I try to log into my email accounts.  I have two, one for personal and one for business.  Yes, I can click the "ask me later" button every time. And yes, it only takes a second to get to the screen I want.  But in our fast pace, microwave society, it's just an annoying inconvenience and as a public relations professional, only escalates ill will toward Comcast.  It would behoove them to eliminate this screen after a time or at least allow a "don't ask me again" button common with most financial institution websites.

My workaround is that I can get my email through Microsoft Outlook.  I get all my emails in both my comcast accounts and don't have the annoying screen problem.  A side benefit is I also don't have to go through two home screens to get it either...the initial homepage and then the email homescreen page, let alone the recovery option page.  No irritating animated pop-ups on the side, no advertisements about celebrity gossip or upcoming shows to redirect my focus.  Just in and out and done.

If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft Outlook is free if you are a microsoft customer, but I may be wrong on that.  In any case, that's my option.  Hope it helps some.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 52 of 62

This is really annoying--to have to answer to this verification screen every time I just want to get directly to my email. This email account has been so problematic of late (inbox outline only but no emails listed, disappeared file listings, etc.) and this new requirement only adds to the annoyance. I fear this screen asking for my info (and some verification question about what beverage I drink--what is THAT?) will eventually result in not being able to log in at all. Why is all this necessary now?

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 53 of 62

You can download and install a free email client program, to download and store your email on your machine, and leave Comcast's offering behind.  Thunderbird (my favorite) and Windows Live Mail are easy to install and use, and have way more features than any webmail.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 54 of 62

This problem has been around for over a year as Comcast doesn't regard it as a problem.  The response from Comcast on this forum has been that this "feature" was implemented to make password recovery more secure.  What a pile of baloney.  Between this issue and the issues I've had with their email client I'm ready to move on to a different provider for internet and TV.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 55 of 62

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it gets worse. If you set up your account and enter the cell #, if you have a second userid, you cannot use the same cell phone # for two user-ids.

But now the GOOD NEWS... Comcast is getting into the cell busines.... Surprise !

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 56 of 62

davstone, you can also use an email address to recover the password if the phone isn't an option for you. If you need help recovering that info, let me know. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 57 of 62

ComcastKenF wrote:

davstone, you can also use an email address to recover the password if the phone isn't an option for you. If you need help recovering that info, let me know. 

Thanks ComcastKenF, there are multiple threads currently going about this topic. I have and maintain 9 email addresses, with 3 using Comcast, and only one cell phone. My problem is why does  Comcast not allow the same phone number for more then one user-id, when it's not a problem for Microsoft or Google ?

I came back to edit this because I was using the wrong account, sorry if it confused anyone.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 58 of 62

flinton1 wrote:

What they're after is our cell phone number so they can send us text messages about offers and upgrades. Bad business as far as I am concerned. I solved the problem by making MSN my new homepage and set up e-mail forwarding to recieve and send mail from there. 

@flinton1-  I'm not disagreeing with you, but they are getting into the cell provider business, just saying. 

**I am not a Comcast employee, but my son works for VzFIOS**

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 59 of 62

Talkdtm, thanks. I have come across of a few of them since I posted here initially. 

I do not have the answer to that question so I'll do some research and let you know what I get. 

KenF

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 60 of 62

Thanks KenF. I hope you saw my edit to my post about my two user-ids.  I get here by clicking the link in the email and don't notice which id I am on.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 61 of 62

Talkdtm, 

It looks like we do not allow the same number over multiple user IDs to provide a more concise password recovery experience. Potentially, you would receive multiple text messages, for example, for each user ID and receiving all on the same number wouldn't be the experience we want to provide. 

We definitely appreciate your feedback and I have let our teams know of your suggestion. 

Where was that edit made?  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 62 of 62

So to follow your logic if I have two Comcast email accounts

I have to set up two alternative email accounts with an alternate vendor

And buy two cell phones

Somewhere along the line the logic escapes me