Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

password recovery options?

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 54
What is the password recovery options screen I keep getting when I open Firefox to get to my Xfinity screen? It asks for "at least two recovery options" and offers spots for email and mobile phone number. I have filled in the email, but this results in being told I cannot use a comcast email. Sorry, it's the only one I use. As for the mobile phone number, I don't own one.
53 REPLIES
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 2 of 54

Same here.  I do not own a mobile phone either.  Comcast is the only email address I have too.  This is stupid.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 3 of 54

I have escalated your post to the forum official employees. An official employee will reply. Please check back every once in a while for a reply by one of them. Official employees authorized to post in the forum are higher up the ladder than phone agents.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 4 of 54

When signing onto comcast.net I have recently been requested to supply verification contact information consisting of an email address and a mobile telephone number. No problem with the email address, but I have no mobile telephone.

Posted by
Administrator

Message 5 of 54

Hi, A non-comcast email and mobile number is needed in case you do not remember your password; it will provide an easy option to retrieve your password to access your account.  Are you not able to get around this screen?

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 6 of 54

Both state they Comcast email is the only one they have and neither have a cell phone.

How are they supposed to get around the screen when it it asks for something they don't have?

Comcast does have a handy little feature which can be used if the password has been forgotten.

It is Forgot your password?

When used, it will send an email to an alternate address if there is one. 

If not, it will ask for the answer to the secret question and with luck they will remember the answer. 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Administrator

Message 7 of 54

You can usually click on the 'X' on the top right o to move past a screen I am just verifying if this option is available.

Yes, you are correct with the "Forgot password" feature, the other recovery options are  forms of  added authentication for password resets.

Oberon and rhagen, are you experiencing this on other browsers to0 or just Firefox?

Thank you

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 8 of 54

I only use IE 11, Win10.  Yes, I can move past the screen but it keeps coming up everytime I first open IE.  I would like the option, that if I forgot my password, to have it sent to my email or call my land line.  But land line dosen't recieve 'text messaging' Smiley Happy and the only email I have or want is my comcast email.

Posted by
Administrator

Message 9 of 54

Thank you for the reply rhagen. I will research this further to see if there is anyway we could stop the pop-up from coming up when you log in. I will send you a private message to get further information for my team to investigate.

Thank you

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 10 of 54

upon logging into my comcast account, I was taken to a webpage from xfinity to update my security.  It wanted an alternet e-mail address or cell phone #.  I did give an alternet email, and  upon logging on to it,,,there was a link for me to click to upgrade and receive free apps. from comcast.  I dont feel good bout it, and did not click to "verify"

"online.communications@alerts.comcast.net"

What say you?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 11 of 54

I only use Firefox and have not kept other browsers up to date.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 12 of 54

I don't want to get around it. I want to get past it, quickly.

Posted by
Administrator

Message 13 of 54

Afternoon, I have asked my Advanced technicians and the only way to stop this pop-up when you sign in is by providing the required information.  The Cell phone and Email are used as other forms of authentication to help prevent the email/account from being compromised. I do apologize for any inconvenience this brings.

Thank you

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 14 of 54

A window opens on my internet with xfinity header.  It asks for email, phone no. secret clues etc.  Is this a phishing scam?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 15 of 54

comcast phil, I do not have a second email or a cell phone that receives texts, so tell your advanced technicians to find a way to eliminate that pop up

Posted by
Administrator

Message 16 of 54

My advanced tech just responded back to me after talking to the My Account Team, and they confirmed that the only way to prevent this pop up in the future is to choose two of the three password recovery options. 

Thank you

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 17 of 54

well I guess they should change it to just one option, since I do not have another email to use, and you already have my phone # and I won't agree to the little box because I do not need a bunch of texts from comcast trying to sell me stuff, so its down to my dog's name   WHOOPS I do not have a dog either sometimes  you guys are a joke  But you do have the best internet on the WWW

Posted by
Visitor

Message 18 of 54

You keep dancing around the issue. The screen is annoying. I only have my Comcast EMail address and I do not give out my mobile phone number. The response from the My Account team is just not acceptable. This is an issue that Comcast needs to address.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 19 of 54

The new poorly posted page keeps popping up and I don't have a moble device and another question asks for an EMAIL address but doesn't accept a COMCAST email address?

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 20 of 54

I get the same one and can't answer two fo the quaetion.  One doesn't accept a COMCAST email address and the other one wants a moble number to send text messages to.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 21 of 54

Yeah, is this a legit page?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 22 of 54

I too have been following this thread hoping to find a solution to prevent this continual irritating pop-up page from appearing. Yes, I can "X" to get around it, but that is counter-productive. My email address is a comcast.net (which is apparently not allowed on the pop-up), and I do not have a mobile phone (nor intend to get one). If the technical team has no way to avoid this pop-up when it is not possible to meet their requirements, it seem to me that this must be some kind of a design problem on your part.

I use Windows 7 Pro with IE11 browser.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 23 of 54

As of today after I insert my user name and password and click, it takes me to Recovery Options page which wants me to update my recovery options..a one time request helps us protect your account. Please provide at least two recovery options before processing. It has a box for email address and a mobile phone...When I insert my comcast email address it doesn't want it and I do not have a mobile phone for texting..I do not text and I would appreciate not having this recovery options page show up every time I sign into my comcast account..It is not necessary in my opionion for you have my email address currently with you alo0ng with my home phone..Please correct this problem going forward.Thanking you in advance for your assistance in resolving this matter. I have already called once today and spoke with a representative and thought it was taken care of but I guess not..

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 24 of 54

Same ?  Doesn't accept the only e-mail address I use and I don't have a mobile phone.  What is this about?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 25 of 54

That is not right there is no option on that page & once it starts it start to get closer & closer. It is a problem for those that only have @comcast.net email & either don't want to give out their cell number or don't have a cell phone. This needs attention as it is wrong from the get go. You can't fix it by adding anything as secret questions I tried this isn't a fix. Ramp up those engineers & fix it soon in some cases this is 2-3 weeks old. The problem is in the New Edge browser as well as IE 11.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 26 of 54

Correct there is no way to get around that screen. It needs to be fixed so those who are wanting & must opt out can. Move that to the powers who can fix it please. This has gone on long enough!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 27 of 54

So to stop this he wants us to go somewhere else because we have to buy a cell phone contract & sign up with lets say Verizon FIOS for a new email? Not sure that this makes me feel real good about what you said here. Let fix it & go higher up the chain & get the opt out for those who don't want it.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 28 of 54

I don't remember that Comcast said that you had to have a cell phone contract & an alternate email address to sign up for Comcast or XFinity? Maybe I should go back & check where is said that. I do know this I would think I heard that don't worry Comcast will fix it for us who pay the bill every month to be provided a service. Lets get this fixed it isn't right.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 29 of 54
Same here after i got a "this page has a redirect loop" about a hundred times. Then it asked me to please give an alternate e mail address and phone number for account recovery. After i filled in the blanks i did not submit it and quickly exed out becz it looked like a generic page. I didnt trust. I cant log into my account because of all this. I cant pay my bill either and they better not hit me with a late fee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 30 of 54

No. I am not able to get around this screen and I resent spending hours trying to do the job that should be done by your techs as a customer service.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 31 of 54

I keep getting this "Update your password recovery options" screen every time I login into email.  When I fill it out, it immediately says I cannot use my comcast email as my email.  What is going on?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 32 of 54

This policy needs to be changed. I don't have a d**n cell phone and it will not accept my alternate email address (says it's already in use - of course it is - by me). Then for a comcast rep to come on here and tell us that the tech people say this has to be done; it's unacceptable. Change it and change it now!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 33 of 54

JenAGav wrote:

I keep getting this "Update your password recovery options" screen every time I login into email.  When I fill it out, it immediately says I cannot use my comcast email as my email.  What is going on?

You need to enter a non-Comcast email address.  If your Comcast account has been compromised, COmcast cannot contact you on your Comcast email.  Having a secondary email address is a necessity in today's online world.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 34 of 54

I keep getting this password recovery option when I sign in, and I don't want it. I need it taken off, it's bugging me. "Moon"

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 35 of 54

moonsign wrote:

I keep getting this password recovery option when I sign in, and I don't want it. I need it taken off, it's bugging me. "Moon"

You need to complete the process that Comcast has now implemented for password recovery to get the message to cease.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 36 of 54

What they're after is our cell phone number so they can send us text messages about offers and upgrades. Bad business as far as I am concerned. I solved the problem by making MSN my new homepage and set up e-mail forwarding to recieve and send mail from there. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 37 of 54
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 38 of 54

I get the same message. I had to fill in an alternate email address, but unfortunately, when I got my account verified, my email address in the "Users & Preferences" link in "My Account" is now my alternate email address. Did I change my login email address or no? 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 39 of 54

Thanks for telling me about this.  Would have been nice if Comcast had notified subscribers AHEAD OF TIME on this.  I had one Comcast Service Tech tell me over the phone that the screen asking for the email, cell phone, etc. was a phishing ploy and to ignore it.  They are a communications company, aren't they?   Uhhhh, yeah.

Comcast has my phone number, so I'm thinking they can call me if my account is compromised.  Do you agree? 

Appreciate your time, geek46.  

JenAGav

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 40 of 54

JenAGav wrote:

Thanks for telling me about this.  Would have been nice if Comcast had notified subscribers AHEAD OF TIME on this.  I had one Comcast Service Tech tell me over the phone that the screen asking for the email, cell phone, etc. was a phishing ploy and to ignore it.  They are a communications company, aren't they?   Uhhhh, yeah.

Comcast has my phone number, so I'm thinking they can call me if my account is compromised.  Do you agree? 

Appreciate your time, geek46.  

JenAGav

I agree with you as I too am a paying customer and was also surprised by this but I did find this post from ComcastZACH explaining this:  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Recvery-Options-Page/m-p/2694560/highli...

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations, you've have started 5 topics! Your communication brings an abundance of information to the community!

Message 41 of 54

How do I know when I get a message and it asks me to update my password and it is from Comcast is it really Comcast or is it a scam. Also why do I get a message from Comcast telling me that my e-mail and voice mail are currently unavailble but the message say its 3 months old.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 42 of 54

I referred this problem to the VP's department in charge of sprucing up COMCAST's bad name in customer satisfaction.  After a few days of stumbling around without a fix they are passing the problem up the line.  We will have to see how long it takes them to address this nuisance.

Joe D.  

Posted by
Visitor
Message 43 of 54

I only have ONE EMAIL ADDRESS and no mobile...please get rid of this PASSWORD RECOVERY!!!

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 44 of 54

Please see Comcast Email Phish or Legit? How to Tell (and rules for posting) for information about identifying phishing emails.

Samples of recent phishing messages can be found at http://constantguard.comcast.net/alerts under "Top Phishing Scams".

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 45 of 54

Comcast unwisely assumed everyone has a cell phone.  So far, there is no resolution.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 46 of 54

The answer I got from COMCASTcustomer relations was to create a dummy account in GMAIL and use this account to get around the problem with the EMAIL.  It worked for me so far.  I then used the gmail account to answer ? #1 and answered ? #3.  I left answer #2 blank, and this worked.  When you put in the gmail account you get a message in that account from comcast.  You answer it and that allows you to go forward and get rid of the "Password Recovery option page.

Joe D.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 47 of 54
This is ridiculous. I don't own a cellphone. I don't need one and can't afford one if I did. (my Comcast bill alone is bad enough) Can't they just add a button that says something like "don't show this again", so those of us who can't fill in those requests don't get constantly badgered to fill it out? This isn't "heavy lifting", but it IS annoying, and I believe unnecessary. I understand what it's for, but not all of us own a lot of gadgets. You can't tell me there isn't a way to add an option so that we're not constantly being asked to fill that out. I know there's a way... Just my 2 cents on the subject! This is REALLY annoying...and again, I believe fixable. ADD AN OPTION! Edit: Oh, and I shouldn't have to create a dummy account somewhere else just to "fool" this stuff. Again, just give us an OPTION so that that message will STOP! I know it can be done......
Posted by
Visitor

Message 48 of 54

OK. HOW DO I GET RID OF THE OPTION ?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 49 of 54

Apparently you can "X" out of it, but it keeps coming back.  Doesn't look like you can cancel them permanently.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 50 of 54

ngs4509 wrote:
This is ridiculous. I don't own a cellphone. I don't need one and can't afford one if I did. (my Comcast bill alone is bad enough) Can't they just add a button that says something like "don't show this again", so those of us who can't fill in those requests don't get constantly badgered to fill it out? This isn't "heavy lifting", but it IS annoying, and I believe unnecessary. I understand what it's for, but not all of us own a lot of gadgets. You can't tell me there isn't a way to add an option so that we're not constantly being asked to fill that out. I know there's a way... Just my 2 cents on the subject! This is REALLY annoying...and again, I believe fixable. ADD AN OPTION! Edit: Oh, and I shouldn't have to create a dummy account somewhere else just to "fool" this stuff. Again, just give us an OPTION so that that message will STOP! I know it can be done......

i completely agree with every word that ngs4509 wrote and could not have written it better myself.

+kudos