Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity™ Comcast® Chat Support is NOT WORKING!

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity™ Comcast® Chat Support is NOT WORKING!

In recent years, I have repeatedly reported that the chat option for contacting support is completely dysfunctional -- It's clearly a gross failure on Xfinity's part as there has been zero priority in addressing this issue. I've reported this issue at every level of the Xfinity/Comcast organization. There have historically been (what I call) two platforms for chat, the new platform (https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/chat/) and the classic platform (https://www.comcastsupport.com/chat), respectively. The new platform (see attached pic) remains in a perpetual state of "Connecting to Chat", and will remain in this state for hours until one simply gives up -- I recall only having connected to the new platform twice out of over 50+ attempts in the last few years. If the new platform is not working (which is some 99% of the time), I will then search "comcast chat or xfinity chat" on google where it would list the classic platform url as noted above. At which point, I must tediously fill out the required information and entire complaint again. Using the classic platform (see attached pic), I then reach a representative about 50% of the time. While happy to at least reach a live person, it often turns to even greater frustration -- Despite initially selecting the correct department in relation to my complaint/issue, nearly 100% of the time, I'm connected to the wrong department -- It turns into a full-blown disaster as poorly trained overseas support persons then spend half an hour or more bouncing me from one chat server/department to another. It's sheer insanity of the worst kind. And we're all sick of it.

What multi-billion dollar communications/media enterprise can't ensure that it's support platforms (chat or otherwise) are functional and attended to properly? As a customer who's services at any given time have been in a state of overall dysfunction (just reference my last 15+ Executive Escalations)...I made an attempt to utilize the chat option again this evening...and here we are another year later, with the same problem. Seriously, What is the The MALFUNCTION ?!?! Is there not someone at Comcast Center in Philly who can light a blazing fire under one of many thousands of employed people to see that millions of customers have access 24/7 to every support option??? It's not as if this chat support thing is some new phenomenon -- EVERY reputable enterprise in the world has this functional capability. To say this is ridiculous is putting it lightly. I'm sure I speak for thousands who refuse to accept anything other than a legitimate solution. 

Do we have any reason whatsoever to believe that this issue will actually be addressed?? 

New Platform:

Xfinity Chat Error - 05-11-2017.JPG

Classic Platform:
Xfinity Chat Error (Classic) - 05-11-2017.JPG

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity™ Comcast® Chat Support is NOT WORKING!

Hi XfinityWatchDog, thank you for reaching out about your concerns about our online chat function. As far as the "new platform" is concerned, have you tried deleting cache and cookies? Do you have the newest updated version of Adobe Flash?  

Apologies for the experience you've had on the "classic platform". Feel free to post here-- we are corporate employees from headquarters who are happy to assist at any time. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ken,

In short, the answer to your question is Yes. I have also tried multiple browsers, PC's, devices, other networks and the likes as well. I've undoubtedly ruled out these chat access issues being related to my devices or user-error on my part. I'm fairly well-versed in technology and troubleshooting these kinds of things. As a customer who has dealt with countless technical issues with Comcast/Xfinity (for literally years), I have made an unbelievable amount of effort to have this chat functionality (or a lack thereof) addressed. Given the sheer amount of problems with my services and my demanding schedule, chat is often the most convenient method for attempting to have various issues resolved when I have a moment to do so.

It's beyond unacceptable that a multi-billion dollar global enterprise consistently fails to provide customers and users with every support medium available around the clock. I do appreciate your willingness to address the issue and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Official Employee

Hi XfinityWatchDog, I understand where you are coming from and we certainly want to get this issue resolved for you. I understand that you have tried different PC's and different browsers, but have you tried to use a different username? If you only have one username on the account please create a new secondary user to test your chat access. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Amir,

I won't create additional usernames -- That's not a reasonable expectation. Chat Support should be available and working for all customers with their usernames. I've gone far and beyond what any customer should, to get this problem documented and addressed -- I've done my part. This is a Comcast/Xfinity problem. The real question is...What do the engineers who manage the support platforms have to say?

Thanks

Official Employee

XfinityWatchDog wrote:

I won't create additional usernames -- That's not a reasonable expectation. Chat Support should be available and working for all customers with their usernames. I've gone far and beyond what any customer should have to get this problem documented and addressed -- I've done my part. This is a Comcast/Xfinity problem. The real question is...What do the engineers who manage the support platforms have to say?

Creating another username will help us figure out if your account is having issues or if the problem is with just your username. Chat support works here and for millions of other customers with no issues, which makes me believe this issue is unique to just your information or equipment. Creating another username is easy and takes about 3 minuets to complete, if you need assistance please let me know.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Amir,

I have additional usernames associated with my account and unfortunately the result has long been the same. Are you suggesting that my account may be coded in such a way to prevent me from accessing chat? When you say "Chat Support works here"? Where is "here"? And "millions of other customers"? That's exaggerated and not based on fact. Comcast's Chat Support metrics and specific support site url's don't even show "millions" of other customers using chat support exclusively. I know this factually because I've spoken directly with more than one Comcast Executive about it. This is not an issue limited to one customer and I didn't post it for that purpose -- Many are affected. It should be noted that the average customer doesn't even come to these forums -- They simply try another method of contacting support or give up. Hence, the consistently terrible rankings for customer service at Comcast/Xfinity.

If the chat platforms are working so great, then perhaps the original Comcast employee who responded to my OP forwarded it to the engineering team and they have been working on the issue? So again, what do the engineers who manage the support platforms have to say about this? If it's a staffing issue as to why chat stays in a perpetual state of "connecting", then the support operations team should get involved.

Official Employee

@XfinityWatchDog, I used the link you provided and was unable to duplicate this issue on my end. I can pass this information along to our engineering team for further review. If you need help with your Comcast services I can help you here, or you can also "live chat" with us via twitter, Facebook, and Reddit. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

I have the same issue with chat using the new platform with it saying connecting to chat forever and when I try adding a username, what happened was worse as basically instead of loading chat, this is what it says:

I have tried with Microsoft IE, Google Chrome, Microsoft EDGE and Firefox on multiple computers with the same results.

I was successfully able to use the new platform once back in May 2017 and really the only time I had to use chat.

2017-07-01_11-12-02.jpg
Official Employee

Almighty188, thanks for reaching out here. Does this happen every time on all of those browsers? 

Is there something I can help you with here? We are corporate employees and are here to assist on this platform as well. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

ComcastKenF:

Many thanks for your reply.  Yes, it happens everytime on all those browsers and even on different computers.  The only time I was successful in using it was one time during May 2017 without any effort using the exact same computer I am on now in Richardson, Texas which is Spectrum Time Warner Cable territory.  I think the best you can really do is report it to the proper departments at Comcast so they can fix it.  

Official Employee

Gotcha. I can have our teams know. Does this happen for both of your usernames? 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

ComcastKenF:

With the login that I am using to post here, it is the Connecting forever as described in the first post.  For the 2nd username which I created because you told the OP to try another username to see if it happens, I am getting that 404 error as my earlier post on all computers and all browers:

Official Employee

OK Almighty188. I've suspended and reactivated your original username. Please try the chat again and let me know if you see a change. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I am having the same problem.  I have tried several times to chat with online support in the last 24 hours.  It keeps saying "Connecting to Chat - Your chat will begin shortly."  I wait and wait for several minutes but it never connects.  I even tried using a different browser but it made no difference.

Contributor

ComcastKenF:

It appears to work as basically it told me how many minutes I have to wait and my # in the queue and then it did get a chat representative at the estimated time...  I'll try again periodically and let you know in the next few days.  Thanks!

Contributor

Just an update, ComcastKenF, whatever you did, it continues to work as I have just chatted with a Comcast Technician concerning a open order for a replacement underground circuit from the tap to the demarcation point of my residence.   Only issue is that the description of the problem did not make it to the chat as it basically only has the first x amount of characters as the first message which required me to type it again for the Comcast Representative.  I cannot tell how many characters there are as the chat was already closed.   Thanks again!

New Poster

i have not been able to connect to chat support either nevered work since switch to a new format. i tried every browser. adobe flash is up to date. nothing works.....

New Poster

why does it say RedEye 3 as my user name never even posted in these forums til now trying to get live chat to work

Official Employee

Hello, all!

Almighty188 - Glad to hear that the issue is resolved!!!

Brad6 - Do you use a @comcast.net username or the 3rd party email to sign in? 

RedEye3 - You have been registered on forums for a quite some time, you can see the date in your profile. What error message do you get when you try to use a chat? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Hi,

Very similar issue here. I am unable to use chat on the modern site due to getting stuck at the "Connecting to Chat" message. I have tried multiple computers and multiple browsers (Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Chrome). I have the latest version of Flash, and I've cleared my cache for each browser. I tried creating a second account, but when I try to start chat, I get errors about a missing phone number and zip code. If I try to add a mobile phone number to the new account, I get an error that it's unable to send a verification code to the number. And so far I haven't found a way to specify a zip code for the second account.

On the classic site (comcastsuppport.com), as previous users have said, I can get connected to an agent about 50% of the time. However, once connected, I am unable to type in the chat box. I can paste text into the chat box, but cannot type directly in. This happens to me on multiple browsers as well, and I have been forced to leave a few helpful agents without responding.

Needless to say, chat has been a frustrating experience... : )

Any help sure would be appreciated!