Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

News videos won't play

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 56

Have not been able to play videos on Xfinity/Comcast home page.  When I click on the various videos, just get a black box, nothing loads.  Same on IE and Chrome updated browsers, also have updated Adobe Flash player.  Would appreciate suggestions.  Videos used to work just fine.  Thanks.

55 REPLIES
Posted by
Visitor

Message 2 of 56

I think we may be having the same problem, but I find it on almost all the shows I try to watch at xfinity.comcast.net.  Actually, the shows are loading and playing, but I can only tell that because I have the close captions turned on.  There is no sound and the screen is black, other than the captions.  This is good if you want to read the show.  If you want to watch the show---not so much!   It is the same whether I am using Chrome or Firefox and my Adobe Flashplayer is up to date.  The only way to get to the show is to keep reloading and reloading it.  This means you have to watch the commercials over and over, and they usually get hung up a few dozen times each i.e. the picture/sound stops until you click on it, which opens a new tab for the product website, close that and click to restart the commercial.  It usually takes a few hours to watch a one hour show.  This seems to be a problem with the Xfinity site, as I watch videos on Hulu without a problem.  And when Xfinity refers me to Hulu there's not a problem.  It is annoying beyond measure.  I have seen the US Navy commercial so many times I have it memorized.

Also, once you get a show to play with the picture and sound, every time you hit a commercial break, after the commercials you are started at a point 30 seconds or so before the commercials, so you watch the commercials again and again.  Sometimes if you move the timeline dot with your cursor it will let you continue with the show, but you have to be fast!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 3 of 56

Did you ever get an answer? I have the same problem.  can play other videos but not the comcast videos on homepage.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 4 of 56
I also have had trouble playing TV shows through the xfinity website. If I actually get some of them to play, some will become scrambled and distorted. You can't make out the picture but you can hear the sound. This site can be very frustrating.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 5 of 56

No, have not received any solutions, just comments on this thread and many others that makes it sound like Xfinity has some real issues in this area.  What is strange is that the videos play just fine on my work computer, which has an outdated browser.... go figure.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 6 of 56

I have the same problem and Comcast is NO help.  Every once in a while the format changes to the "old" version of playing news videos and everything is fine.  Then Xfinity switches back to the black background with thumbnails and the videos won't play.  I can play these on my ipad and laptop but not on my pc.  Very frustrating and Xfinity is unable to correct the problem.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 56

For some reason, all of a sudden I can get the videos on Comcast's homepage.  They are very small, but there.  Now I keep getting a msg. on 2 sites that say I need to upgrade my browser.  When I go to the Microsoft page to upgrade, it tells me I am using 9 and that is the latest I can use for Windows 'Vista.  Since I only get this msg.(so far) on 2 sites, I'm ok for now.  I can go to these sites via my KindleFire & it goes thru w/o any "upgrade browser" msg.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 8 of 56

My videos on their homepage of Xfinity also do not play.  I tried their live chat only to be disconnected after they sent a refresh signal to my router, said my account asn't in sync with my account name, numerious other excuses.  I've personally decided to research some better options like a new internet provider.  Better to have service that might not be as fast than to get crappy Customer Service & a internet that has so many problems & never works correctly with reps who give you the run around.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 56
I googled this problem and one of the feeds gave me the answer. It was one of the settings that needed to be checked but I'm not on my PC so can't give you the setting right now, it was a very easy fix however. I'm so sorry, I solved it and now can't remember how without my PC. I'll repost when I can access google search.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 10 of 56
I think this is what I did:

Method 2: If that does not help, you may completely uninstall Flash player and reinstall the same.

Follow the article:
Uninstall Flash Player | Windows
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Restart the computer and reinstall the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Posted by
Visitor

Message 11 of 56

I started this post awhile back.  Videos on the Xfinity homepage now seem to play fine.  I can only guess that either Xfinity fixed something, or a recent Adobe or other update took care of the issue.  Just glad they are plaing again, hope the issue gets resolved for the rest of you!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 12 of 56

I am having the same problem with playing news videos on comcast. I uninstalled and reinstalled flash player and that did not fix the problem. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 13 of 56

I don't know mine started back working after a few days when I had posted on this forum.  Figured Xfinity fixed something but apparently not.  Now my videos sound delayed on the sound & the video doesn't show at all till the end & it's even so laggy it never moves more than a few frames.  It's the same on all my computers so I highly doubt it's Flash Player I think it's Xfinity's end. Personally getting a little tired of all the problems with them.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 14 of 56

Again mine has stopped working & I'm back to getting those black squares which sometimes have broken audio.  If I want to watch the video news on something I have to google the name on Xfinity's video news & find the original source of it.  It plays just fine on anything but Xfinity homepage.  This has been a constant problem over the past year or so.  It seems to come & go just like our high speed internet with them.  I have all new router, modem, & computer but the same problem exists on all of them in our home.  Seriously getting tired of this reoccurring problem & can't wait till AT&T starts up their lines which they just laid in our neighborhood.  If I can't get it with Xfinity I'll just take my internet service elsewhere Smiley Happy

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 15 of 56
There is something to do with the Compatibility View under Tools on the homepage. Mine is unchecked and nothing is listed under Compatibility View settings, so if you have CV checked, uncheck it and under CV Settings, make sure the box is empty. It takes about 10 seconds for the videos to load and maybe I wasn't waiting long enough before. Anyway, there is also a commercial before you can see the video. Hope this helps.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 16 of 56

My homepage videos won't play only give me sound!  

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 17 of 56

do not expect help from comcast on this.  it's comcast!

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 18 of 56

if  you mean the homepage for comcast.net there is no "tools" setting.  

much easier to just can it and not use comcast home page.  yahoo and a ton of others are just as good if not better.  

customer service is not comcast's specialty.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 19 of 56

I'm changing my homepage from Xfinity because when the news videos play, I get sound but no picture.  I have tried many fixes found here but nothing helps.There are many other Homepages to choose from so "I'm gone!"

Posted by
Visitor

Message 20 of 56

I'm on a Chromebook and had the same problem. The news videos on Xfinity would only play sound but no picture. I searched everywhere trying to figure out what happened because they use to play just fine. My solution was really simple, I disabled my AdBlock Plus for that page and reloaded it and BOOM! Back to normal, picture and sound! I believe sites are now finding ways to "discourage" users from using the popular AdBlock extention because several of the sites I visit regulary now only work normally if I disable AdBlock. 

Hope this helps!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 21 of 56

Thank you! Yes, I tried that and it worked for me also.  But sure hate those annoying ads!  

Posted by
Visitor

Message 22 of 56

When Xfinity changed their homepage news videos to a more expanded selection, such as msnbc, discovery, history etc. that is when I could no longer access their videos. It does not work on any browser. Everything is updated flashplayer etc, I can play videos on every other site. I just cannot play xfinity news videos. I have been dealing with escalations dept. since last late Nov. or Dec. when they changed everything. Norton said it is a code issue with the engineering of the new page format. So far no one in Comcast is resolving it. I have had microsoft, windows norton and hp take over my computer and they all say it is comcast. Comcast does not agree.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 23 of 56

There is something to do with the Compatibility View under Tools on the homepage. Mine is unchecked and nothing is listed under Compatibility View settings, so if you have CV checked, uncheck it and under CV Settings, make sure the box is empty. It takes about 10 seconds for the videos to load and maybe I wasn't waiting long enough before. Anyway, there is also a commercial before you can see the video. Hope this helps.  I posted this in February, 2015 and have since gotten a new computer, but the same is true of my Compatibility View settings now -- the box is empty and my videos have been playing since February.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 24 of 56

I use Google Chrome. I disabled Adblock Plus for xfinity and presto, the videos returned and so did the commercials.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 25 of 56

Post Removed for a violation of Forum Posting Guidelines. Please do not circumvent the language filters when posting.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 26 of 56

Please help.....mine used to work...now sound only.....and this is the best part....WE PAY FOR THIS!!!!   

Posted by
Visitor

Message 27 of 56

The problem is with the browser, I can't play the videos when I use Safari as my browser but have no probem when I use the Chrome browser.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 28 of 56

Have the same problem. Tring to change and add startup programs like flash player and Adobe flash Player to see which media Player works. This going to take some time but I can't think of anything else to try. Comast is no help.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 29 of 56

My videos now work on Xfinity (or Comcast) home page.  Don't know what happened but they must have fixed it.  Note:  If u want to get rid of all the ads, put Adblockplus on your computer.  It is free & really does get rid of all the video ads.  Also gets rid of the ads they show in your email.  I don't know if there is anything wrong with this ADblockplus, I haven't found anything yet.  Just they happy removal of ads.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 30 of 56

If you have adware blocker disable it and then the videos will play. I had the same problem and once I disabled it, the videos work fine.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 31 of 56

Thank you so much.  I disabled Ad Block Plus from Chrome and now Xfinity videos play - previously would not play video, only sound. Yes, still the commercials are a pain.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 32 of 56

I have had the same problem for months now.  I have called and they don't know what they are doing over there.  They are

really good at wasting my time though.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 33 of 56

Yeah, they are very good at PRETENDING to help.  Very frustrating. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 34 of 56

To: daheyer

Did you read all the posts?  Did you try to disable your Adblock Plus on your Xfinity page?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 35 of 56

I went through a lot of the post and I did pause ad block and refreshed the page.  

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 36 of 56

the problem may be the new program modgels ..some how the new developers who developed the program modgels (bodes) left a lot of the necessary programs out and did not take these operations in consideration ..( just a wild theory)..

Posted by
Contributor

Message 37 of 56

I agree the problem is with the browser.  The videos play perfectly on Firefox for me but not on Safari.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 38 of 56
Posted by
Visitor

Message 39 of 56

If its a black screen with sound then just turn off your adblock

Posted by
Visitor

Message 40 of 56

I have a Ad Blocker on my Computer so I paused that now I can see & hear the Videos.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 41 of 56

J get sound but no picture on Xfinity home page. other web sites work fine. How am I ablto fix this?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 42 of 56
Posted by
Visitor

Message 43 of 56

If you have an ad blocker, you will need to disable it. I had the same issue till I disabled my ad blocker.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 44 of 56

Disabling the ad blocker worked for me too.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 45 of 56
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 46 of 56

I haven't been able to watch News video for someime now. I have gone through every step I could find info on (i.e. Flash updated) but still not fixed. Please help me as I'm about to turn the other part of my hair grey! Thanks!

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 47 of 56

Hello thomaspnt,

Have you tried disabling any ad-blocker apps on your browser? Have you tried another browser or clearing your cache and cookies?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Visitor
Message 48 of 56
I have been experiencing issues with this. I will get a big black box, and sound, but I wont see anything. This was on my computer. I went in my phone, and it worked fine. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my computer or if it's an issue at Comcast, but I'm hoping for a response back
Posted by
Visitor

Message 49 of 56

I am being told that the video problem is my computer!! Told that this morning with a very "huffy" corporate guy. They won't take responsibility for their bugs and are quite tired of hearing from me. Love it.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 50 of 56

I too was unable to view news videos on myfinity.com.  After WEEKS of phone call to customer service and being bumped up to "The Next Level".  I finally got someone who could solve the problem and it's a very simple fix!  

The problem is the news videos on myxfinity.com are NOT FLASH VIDEOS!   You simply have to go to Safari > Preferences > Security.  Click on "Plug-in settings".  Click on Abobe Flash Player in the column on the left side of the window. (It will be highlighted in blue when you click on it )

Under "Allow websites to use this plug-in with the settings below"  for myxfinity.com  select OFF.

That's it!  The videos work if you deselect Abode Flash Player for myxfinity.com!  This thread goes back to 2014!  WHY NO ONE FROM XFINITY HASN"T COME ON HERE AND TOLD PEOPLE HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM IS BEYOUND BELIEF !!!