online now

discussions

Lowest common denominator

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 8 (1,386 Views)

Lowest common denominator

Is Comcast ever embarrassed by the content of their home page?  So-and-so's racy pictures, Kim K's next skimpy outfit, and what's-her-name bares-it-all photo shoot.  Granted, society is unabashedly preoccupied with sex in general and specifically treating women like sub-human objects, but is there such a demand that the home page needs to look like a British tabloid's page three photo spread?

What is the hoped-for or anticipated effect on a pubescent boy casually opening the page?  Does Comcast want to drive him a little crazier than a mega-dose of overactive hormones?  Or a dad or granddad who hopes for some degree of sexual purity and to honor his wife as intended.  Does Comcast need to inject some tasty temptation into the visual field in hopes of attaining some objective?  Is Comcast destined to pander to the lowest common denominator? 

Are wholesome pursuits so dated that decency is passé?

Is this truly the very best Comcast can do?

7 REPLIES
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 8 (1,376 Views)

Re: Lowest common denominator

Dongus1 wrote:

Is this truly the very best Comcast can do?

Sadly, it does appear so.  The page has been on a pretty steady downhill slide for many years.

Posted by
Edited on
‎11-04-2011 09:18 PM

Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 3 of 8 (1,366 Views)

[ Edited ]

Agreed.  Your home page's 'Today's Highlights' are awful.  Am I really supposed to be intrigued by 'Parents Play Cruel Prank on Kid'?  With so much child abuse in the world, you post a still of a video that looks like the child is upset and hysterical?

My entire family are customers and we are all completely disgusted with your content.  You should be ashamed of yourselves.  Hire some real web content people, stop being so desperate and stop degrading your company's value by presenting such an abominable image.  And stop insulting your loyal, top-dollar-paying customers with your gross, insensitive, morally depraved 'Today's Highlights'.....yuck.....

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 4 of 8 (1,358 Views)

That is why I avoid the Comcast homepage. I rarely go to the page. I don't have it as my homepage.

If I  want to use Xfinity Connect instead of my email client I click Email at the top of this page.

That way I don't have be bombarded with junk I don't care about. It's an online supermarket tabloid.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 5 of 8 (1,352 Views)

Great.... 'Friends' mean joke on bungee jumper'....another compelling, news-worthy, gripping highlight.....gross, gross, gross.... disgusting, tasteless, vile, wretched.... funny, other home pages aren't so sensationalized..... 

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 6 of 8 (1,347 Views)

Cust999 wrote: Great.... 'Friends' mean joke on bungee jumper'....another compelling, news-worthy, gripping highlight.....gross, gross, gross.... disgusting, tasteless, vile, wretched.... funny, other home pages aren't so sensationalized..... 

So don't use it. Here's a list of a bunch of other Comcast pages: http://xfinity.comcast.net/siteindex/. Most of them have a link to webmail (click the "Connect" tab) and are much tamer than the home page.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 7 of 8 (1,344 Views)

You may want to follow this thread and change your home page to iGoogle.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity-com-Website/xfinity-com-mycomcast-going-away/m-p/1027337/messag...

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 8 of 8 (1,334 Views)

Thanks for the link.