online now

discussions

Java

SOLVED
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 1 of 11 (1,353 Views)

Java

I just removed java totally and that seems to have cleared up all the issues I had with Comcast websites. I guess Comcast websites do not like Java.  I also figured Java really isn't needed to run the programs I got on my computer anyways.

10 REPLIES
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 2 of 11 (1,348 Views)

Re: Java

java runs most things on the internet.  your going to run into issues without it.    What comcast websites do you use?  I have never had an issue with java on a comcast site.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 3 of 11 (1,343 Views)

HTML is the basic language for most web pages.

It is recommended to disable Java due to security issues.

Lots of talk on the web about this for Java. There is concern that hackers can use security flaws in Java to run malicious software on a computer.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 4 of 11 (1,339 Views)

What kind of issues might I run into rog? I wasn't aware of this.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 5 of 11 (1,329 Views)

rog286713 wrote:

java runs most things on the internet. 

I wouldn't exactly say "most" things. I'd say that *some* sites / webpages may be broken without it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 6 of 11 (1,320 Views)

So if I understand right. Unless I discover website issues it is okay to have removed Java?

Posted by
Edited on
‎01-22-2013 06:37 PM

Valued Contributor

Message 7 of 11 (1,318 Views)

[ Edited ]

What exactly do you mean by broken webpages? I am not totally sure what it means.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 8 of 11 (1,307 Views)

Any pages or elements of pages that rely on Java will not function / render / appear correctly. Actually more stuff relies on Flash these days than Java. You would have to browse around and see how bad things appear to be and then decide if you can live without it.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 9 of 11 (1,376 Views)

jeff3603 wrote:

So if I understand right. Unless I discover website issues it is okay to have removed Java?

Yes. Exactly.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 10 of 11 (1,302 Views)

FWIW some Wikipedia pages ask to run JAVA but I don't let them. The pages still work. It appears to me that there is one section of the page that wants to use Java but it still looks and loads okay.

And FoxNews.com seems to load quicker and smoother with Java disabled in IE9.

Highlighted
Posted by
Edited on
‎01-22-2013 06:50 PM

Valued Contributor

Message 11 of 11 (1,297 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have checked every site I regularly go to and there isn't a single issue now that I uninstalled java 32 and 64 bit and disabled deployment toolkit. In fact, I believe my computer runs a little faster now Smiley Happy. Thanks for all your help guys and feedback.