Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cannot add alert/ account recovery phone number.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 7

I created a new comcast account for myself. However, when I try to enter my phone number it says it is already in use. It is in use because my parrents use comcast and we set up my number on their account so I would be any needed notices.

I want to add the same number to my account, but I cannot.

The number is already associated with the account because if I call support and enter my number it asks for the address because it knows 2 accounts use that number, but I will not let me use it for allerts or recovery.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2 of 7

mikebox121 wrote:

I created a new comcast account for myself. However, when I try to enter my phone number it says it is already in use. It is in use because my parrents use comcast and we set up my number on their account so I would see any needed notices.

I want to add the same number to my account, but I cannot.

The number is already associated with the account because if I call support and enter my number it asks for the address because it knows 2 accounts use that number, but I will not let me use it for allerts or recovery.

Thanks.

I have the same problem 2 accounts, 1 cell phone, the alternative is using a non-Comcast email address, but I prefer to get a text.  I really don't understand why they care if the same cell phone is used for more then one account.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 3 of 7

Hello all, in order to have the phone numbers removed from another account we would need the account holders permission first. mikebox121, in your case you would just need to go to your parents and have them call in or go into a local Comcast service center and have your number removed so that you can receive text alerts for your own service. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 4 of 7

ComcastAmir wrote:

Hello all, in order to have the phone numbers removed from another account we would need the account holders permission first. mikebox121, in your case you would just need to go to your parents and have them call in or go into a local Comcast service center and have your number removed so that you can receive text alerts for your own service. 

I appreciate a Comcast employee answering. But, Amir, I know I didn't say I wanted it off the first account, then put on the second, that might work for Mike. Why can't one phone be used for two accounts ? There is no logical reason.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 7

davstone, thank you for your feedback but this was done by design to ensure there is no miscommunication with the messages being sent to one phone number. Most of our alerts and notifications aren't account specific, if you're experiencing a service issue in the area a generic message will be sent, without any account specific information so you won't know which location is having a problem. This also is a security feature so that not just anyone can input your information and reset your passwords/usernames. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 7

ComcastAmir wrote:

davstone, thank you for your feedback but this was done by design to ensure there is no miscommunication with the messages being sent to one phone number. Most of our alerts and notifications aren't account specific, if you're experiencing a service issue in the area a generic message will be sent, without any account specific information so you won't know which location is having a problem. This also is a security feature so that not just anyone can input your information and reset your passwords/usernames. 

Thanks ComcastAmir- There are many threads on this subject, and I agreed with this post because it was the same in my case. I'm not trying to argue, but my cell phone would be in the same area for both accounts, so your "service outage" point would mean I'd get it twice.  The original post from Mikexx, could mean he helps his parents with their account, but I can't speak for him (don't know him)

I am paralyzed, my Gmail account is used on my phone, my Yahoo and outlook are used on my tablet.  When you only have one working hand, it's easier to get a validation code from the phone text  Ironically, I can use the same phone for two accounts with Microsoft (outlook, hotmail)

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 7 of 7

Hi davstone. I understand this can be an inconvenience. I just wanted to let you know even though two addresses are in the same  vicinity, both accounts may not experience the same issues all the time because the accounts may be on different nodes from each other. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.