New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

2016 Responsive Forum Design: Post Feedback Here

Posted by
Administrator

Message 1 of 297

*NOTE, THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR THE XFINITY HOMEPAGE REDESIGN FEEDBACK* (You can share homepage feedback here)

In 2015 the Comcast Help & Support Forum went through it's first extensive redesign in several years. When the new site launched a thread was started to track user feedback, ask questions, and share any issues for things not working as expected. 

In January we launched the newest version of Comcast Help & Support Forums, with the help of Responsive Web Design. As more customers have begun accessing our site from mobile and tablet devices. We wanted to improve the user experience for our customers. Under this new format the community will be easier to read and navigate from a wide range of devices and screen sizes. 

Please use this thread to share any feedback you have for the new Help & Support Forums.

Thank you,

Alan

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
296 REPLIES
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 2 of 297

Hasn't happened yet, but my guesses:

Giant buttons and bars for everything

"Flat" interface

Low-contrast text/backgrounds

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 3 of 297

I really hope this blank white area in page is not for future advertisements.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 4 of 297

The down arrow user preferences does not change cursor.

The share drop down menu seems to work sporadically.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 5 of 297

User icons are goofy. Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, literally!

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 6 of 297

You can no longer see the number of NEW replies (since last read) on an existing thread.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 7 of 297

Is there a way to set the default text of all the messages to BLACK instead of this "light grey" that hurts my eyes?  I've searched all the preferences under "My Settings" but can't seem to find it.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 8 of 297

Navigation just keeps getting worse and worse.  Pretty much unworkable now.  I assume this forum is no longer for people to get help, since we can't navigate around and find people with problems?

Posted by
Administrator

Message 9 of 297

We appreciate the feedback and comments, please continue to share. The text color is something that was shared by another set of users and we have it on our list as something that we'll look to update. The hope for day one was to make sure all functional issues are working (new users can register, people can post, mark solutions, etc). So far most of the items we've heard are around some layout changes, avatar changes etc. These are definitely items we're adding to our list and will look to prioritize, but the functional elements of the community are what we chose to focus on for day one, and I'm happy we haven't seen any significant items here. 

A general note to others that have posted, if your comment or question is around a general theme, say "navigation is unusable," we need a bit more detail if there is something specific you're seeing an issue with. We've heard from other users that the shift from the old "Go to" menu in the top-right navigation to the three-line "browse" menu on the top-left was confusing at first, and the browse menu works differently and we're looking at our options on what we can change there.

Again, we appreciate the feedback, public and private that has been shared and we have a number of items on our list that we'll look to tweak over the next days and weeks.

Thank you,

Alan 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 10 of 297

In the topic list, underneath the topic name where is says who posted last, it says ... "Latest posted". Did someone forget to proofread?

Posted by
Administrator

Message 11 of 297
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 12 of 297
Posted by
Customer Expert

Message 13 of 297

We need the bar across the top that has links to Email and My Account.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 14 of 297

Alan, There used to be a place at the end of a thread where we could offer information or ask question  without 'replying' to a specific individual and that option is gone. Its not always about replying to something already posted. How are we supposed to offer info or ask a question within a thread now ? Your request for feedback is a perfect example. I would have liked to have been able to post to everyone rather than just to you. Yes I know everyone can see what I write to you but many times we don't want/need to reply to an individual post and now we have no choice. What can you tell me and thanks

Posted by
Administrator

Message 15 of 297
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 16 of 297
I found it difficult to navigate and find the help I was looking for. On top of that I waited for over 20 minutes when I tried to call before getting an actual person to talk to. The representative on the phone was quite pleasant and tried to be helpful. On an unrelated note I find it silly that some broadcasters still send out an SD signal and you actually require extra payment to receive HD. The SD aspect ratio is terrible and reduces the viewing surface of my tv by a lot. Be thankful that you have a monopoly on high speed Internet in my area, otherwise my money would be going to another provider.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 17 of 297

BUG???  Automatic double spacing on enter key, results in severe spacing and White Outs..  

Double spacing.png

This photo was reduced to 50% to show space waste on my screen. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 18 of 297

BJ, this was evident at rollout and I mentioned it to the Team.  It was fixed, but I, too, have noticed it back again, so I have notified the Team - again.  Thanks for posting about it.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 19 of 297

Thanks for the reply,Again. Economy of space utilization seems to be lacking.  Note the placement of badges, increases the size of the post.  Elimination would be a better choice. IMHO---            Posted by---- We know who is posting--  superfluous 

ciao, bj   

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 20 of 297
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 21 of 297

BlueJay wrote:

Thanks for the reply,Again. Economy of space utilization seems to be lacking.  Note the placement of badges, increases the size of the post.  Elimination would be a better choice. IMHO---            Posted by---- We know who is posting--  superfluous 

ciao, bj   

The Forums are now "enhanced" for mobile view, and no longer just for desktop view.  The formatting looks better on tablets and smartphones now, even though a great number of people still use PC's and Macs.  It's the wave of the future.  Sometimes I wish we were still waving at it and not embracing it as fast friends - yet - if you know what I mean.  But, like past generations discovered, we either assimilate or get left behind in a dust bowl.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't want to be pushed out as obsolete, but the flow is not in our favor, I'm afraid.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 22 of 297

I find the new layout very frustrating to use. Everything moves so much I can't focus on anything. I hate the pop-up add that covers most of the page and stays there until I click it away. The text is difficult to see easily. The white text needs to be bolder and the black text is gray. Change is not easy, but this is too much.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 23 of 297

Again wrote:

BlueJay wrote:

ciao, bj   

The Forums are now "enhanced" for mobile view, and no longer just for desktop view.  The formatting looks better on tablets and smartphones now, even though a great number of people still use PC's and Macs.  It's the wave of the future.  Sometimes I wish we were still waving at it and not embracing it as fast friends - yet - if you know what I mean.  But, like past generations discovered, we either assimilate or get left behind in a dust bowl.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't want to be pushed out as obsolete, but the flow is not in our favor, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the reply, Again and some insight as to what is going on.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, and after reading the above, checked out the "enhanced" for mobile view that you mentioned.  Let me show you the screenshots I took of the same thread that I posted above; you be the judge.

2016-01-24 00.36.04.png

2016-01-24 00.50.23.png

I tried to reposition the second photo, this new format is not too friendly, and the window slider is useless.

Is the above an improvement? There is so much missing and so much wasted space.

ciao, bj

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 24 of 297

Again wrote:

BlueJay wrote:

ciao, bj   

Again, this is a continuation of the previous post, with a comparison view of an also POWERED BY LITHIUM forum through comcast.   The screenshots were also taken on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.  And I just have one question, why wasn't this used as a template and not what we've been dealing with?

2016-01-24 01.06.42.png

and the second photo:

2016-01-24 01.07.17.png

I do not and will not use my tablet for forum viewing, nor do I have a smartphone.  TG!!  I am a dinosaur and not good with waves.  Nothing more to say, thanks for listening to me.  

ciao, bj  

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 25 of 297
Posted by
Contributor

Message 26 of 297

I cannot find a way to display a list of my posts.  That should be up front, somewhere.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 27 of 297

Used to be, but they did away with it in the last iteration and perpetuated the mistake in this one.  You now have to hunt around until you find your username somewhere, and click on that.  It's a prolonged ordeal.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 28 of 297

It's there WTP, but it's so messed up it's difficult to recognize the posts, your activity, and how to get to your own particular post.

T his   "latest posted"  doesn't even have a link to the  "latest posted"  message...  We can't complain...  It's been requested that only bugs be posted to this thread, no requests for "enhancements" .

ciao, bj 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 29 of 297

Back when I was doing software support, we  (jokingly) called such a bug a "feature".

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 30 of 297

MycroftXX wrote:

I cannot find a way to display a list of my posts.  That should be up front, somewhere.

Click on your username in your post [this thread].  Your profile will come up.  Scroll down to Latest posts and click on the blue arrow.  A listing of all the posts you've made will come up.  To see all, on the right side you'll need to click on View all.

Alternately, in the upper right corner of the forum page click on your username.  Click on Profile.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 31 of 297

The only things in the upper right corner are a bell, an envelope, and the word Espanol (pardon no ~ on the n).

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 32 of 297

As I said initially, click on your name in your post.

profile.JPG

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 33 of 297

Well, that worked.  I won't  ask howcum the name doesn't appear upper right.   Thanks.

For somebody's information, the username appears momentarily, then is overwritten by the bell.  Make that the word Notifications, not the username.  Looks like a bug to me.

Workaround:  Save bookmark to the page that contains the list of user's posts.  Use it to navigate back to that page. 

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 34 of 297

I do not and will not use my tablet for forum viewing, nor do I have a smartphone.  TG!!  I am a dinosaur and not good with waves.  Nothing more to say, thanks for listening to me.  

ciao, bj  

====

AMEN and echo echo echo. Ironic that people want bigger better smarter tvs  and computers and THEN want to watch shows/movies and participate in forums on screens less than 12 inches. I can see using phone or tablet when traveling but for general use...I don't see the appeal. I have a tablet and smart phone and use them sometimes for looking something up when the computer is not turned on but as a general tool...oh no. Talk about eye strain and headaches!

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 35 of 297

Again wrote:

MycroftXX wrote:

Click on your username in your post [this thread].  Your profile will come up.  Scroll down to Latest posts and click on the blue arrow.  A listing of all the posts you've made will come up.  To see all, on the right side you'll need to click on View all.

Alternately, in the upper right corner of the forum page click on your username.  Click on Profile.

Again, your instructions are right on for how to find personal previous posts.  Unfortunately, this new revision is useless and full of bugs.  

Just looking for this post, takes you to the initial post of the thread, NOT the post looked for. 

The text of the post searching for is not there, just the original thread.

If a thread had 50 or more posts, the search is ridiculous.    Case in point:  

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/user-id/5940005

The ideal search, which we had at one time is shown with this image:

personal posts listing business.PNG

Please note that the above image was taken from the Business forums.  

'nuf said..  these are "bugs" to me and not just looking for cosmetic enhancements.  The flow of these forums has been decreased, IMHO.

Have a good day, ciao, bj

Just one more question, does anyone know the purpose of the vertical slider window in this reply form?

Posted by
Administrator

Message 36 of 297

Greetings Everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback on our new responsive design community site, we appreciate it.

We are listening and appreciate all the constructive criticism you have for us to make the site better.

If you notice any functional issue with the community or would like to voice your thoughts, please post with the following information (if possible):

• Media used – smartphone, tablet (with screen size) and desktop
  • Operating System used – Windows, Linux, IOS
  • Internet Browser used – Chrome, IE, Fire Fox, Safari, etc...
  • A screen shot if possible of the issue

With these information we will be able to address it faster and make community site better.

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Administrator

Message 37 of 297

Wow, It's great to read the robust and passionate responses here. Lest there be any confusion, as my original post stated, this thread is for sharing feedback (and actual bugs), so we encourage the conversation.

While I understand how much BJ enjoys the Business Community (which my team is also responsible for, appreciate the positive feedback for that layout), there are some significant differences in the structure of the two. 

I've seen a few questions around navigating to a specific user's posts, or posts of your own that might have a response, and how to get there quickly. The place to see this activity and quickly navigate (as Again mentioned), is the navigation on the upper right. You can click the dropdown next to your avatar OR the bell image:

Nav.JPG

This is the notifications alert, and even if there isn't a new response on a thread you've participated (as the sample image above indicates, by the 0), clicking that icon brings you to threads you've responsed to with a response. 

Notification.JPG

by clicking any of those threads you'll navigate directly to the last response (not the first, someone stated above).

If you're looking for any post you have made, these can be found by clicking on your avatar here:

Nav2.JPG

Then select "My Subscriptions"

Which will display this information (note, Subscriptions need to be enabled in your preferences):

Posts.JPG

BJ, while that passion sometimes moves towards a general commentary for a different layout, you've shared a ton of great feedback that my team is actively working on including: tightening spacing on the threads, the locked/pinned callout (from the other thread), and MycroftXX's issue above was a bug tied to a missing Avatar, that we're working on as well.

As JK mentioned above, we want to keep this thread focused on issues, some commentary that is touching on general items can sidetrack the entire thread, which we don't want to see happen.

Please continue to share your thoughts, and understand our priority is to improve the user experience for all. If you highlight a bug, it's on our list, if it's a design improvement/request, we're listening, but some of these may not be feasible.

Thank you again it's great to hear from our users!

Alan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 38 of 297

Alan, you said,  "While I understand how much BJ enjoys the Business Community (which my team is also responsible for, appreciate the positive feedback for that layout), there are some significant differences in the structure of the two. ", please be aware that my "enjoyment" of the Business Community is only in the comparison factor.  

I am not a member of the Business Community, just stumbled on it while going through links on these pages.

Would you consider it regression if these forums resembled the Business Forums?

Significant differences are the total waste of space, the inclusion of the unnecessary badges which increase the space especially on a one or two line response.

Getting back to the notifications alert, mine is different than yours.  Is it because I choose not to receive email notification of posts and activity?

I have had email notification alerts off for a number of years, and that screen behaved in a similar manner to the one I used as an EXAMPLE of what was missing.  

You said that your team is responsible for the Business Community, Kudos there.

ciao, bj

edited to add -- desktop pc - 27" monitor- chrome browser ~~  win7, IE11 { only use chrome}

Posted by
Contributor

Message 39 of 297

Alan, I am using firefox 44.0.  Thanks for jumping back in here.

The URL of the list that I want is  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/user-id/REDACTED.  I redacted the user number to avoid a flood of people looking at mine.  I think you should be able to see it with your own user number.

Posted by
Administrator

Message 40 of 297

BlueJay wrote:

Would you consider it regression if these forums resembled the Business Forums?

Significant differences are the total waste of space, the inclusion of the unnecessary badges which increase the space especially on a one or two line response.

Getting back to the notifications alert, mine is different than yours.  Is it because I choose not to receive email notification of posts and activity?

I have had email notification alerts off for a number of years, and that screen behaved in a similar manner to the one I used as an EXAMPLE of what was missing.  

You said that your team is responsible for the Business Community, Kudos there.

ciao, bj

I'll try and hit on each of these:

• Regression, I'm trying to avoid this being a matter of an individual's preference in design (which is a personal opinion for each user), this isn't what you like vs. what I like. The functional improvements for Mobile and Tablet (over 40% of our traffic today) drove the newest iteration (Based on our conversations from the 2015 redesign thread, I also know we've improved a number of issues from what we had). The Business Forum is not designed in Responsive format (we're working on this now, but less Business traffic comes from mobile, so it was a lower priority). The experience today for any user on mobile (hundreds of thousands of customers per month) is a HUGE improvement and worth it for us to address, so I would not call it a regression, and the user behavior statistics suggest other users are finding this new version easier to use as well.
  • Space issues, again, we agree there. We pushed one fix an hour ago and are already working to tighten this more... hang in there, no web designer wants to waste space, fixing the code takes time (we're formatting for desktop, mobile, tablet, and multiple browsers) that's the reality of web design in 2016.
  • Badges, we had this conversation on the old board, clear on your position. I will point out we've drastically improved badge sizing from the time they launched.
  • Double checking on notifications, but I don't believe email notifications need to be enabled to allow the visual alert, if you enable notifications, you'll see two different sections (General first, then email)
  • Regarding the other example you shared, for a user's posts, this still exists today, but does appear differently (although it lists all of the same information). This is one of those design specifics that I would prefer to not see this thread devolve into. 

Thank you,

Alan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 41 of 297
Thanks for your reply & comments, Alan
ciao, bj
Posted by
Contributor

Message 42 of 297
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 43 of 297

Alan, you said above,  

• "Regarding the other example you shared, for a user's posts, this still exists today, but does appear differently (although it lists all of the same information). This is one of those design specifics that I would prefer to not see this thread devolve into. 

Thank you,

Alan"

I just had one additional comment and then I'll drop all commentary on this new revision of the forums.  This morning I wanted to find a post I had made using the new version of my latest posts. It was impossible not having the details previously available.  That's all.  No need for you to reply either here or PM.. 

p.s. thanks for the addition of the  

I've missed those functions...   edit~~ #1 at the bottom of the threads..

ciao, bj

another p.s.  the slider window in the body of the reply form is extremely distracting.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 44 of 297

I am having a lot of trouble trying to navigate with the new site. My page keeps moving because of the huge add space loading on the top of the page.when I try to click the close button, it takes me to the site of the add. Seriously , I am soooooo frustrated with this new design. It is not user friendly, especially to us oldies.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 45 of 297

ComcastAlan wrote:

I've seen a few questions around navigating to a specific user's posts, or posts of your own that might have a response, and how to get there quickly. The place to see this activity and quickly navigate (as Again mentioned), is the navigation on the upper right. You can click the dropdown next to your avatar OR the bell image:

This is the notifications alert, and even if there isn't a new response on a thread you've participated (as the sample image above indicates, by the 0), clicking that icon brings you to threads you've responsed to with a response. 

Not there for some of us.  At least one other poster here has confirmed that.  See my screen capture.  The only way to get what you display is the arduous method I mentioned earlier.:

Without that, the rest of your directions can't work.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 46 of 297
Posted by
Administrator

Message 47 of 297
Posted by
Administrator

Message 48 of 297
Posted by
Administrator

Message 49 of 297