Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

what happened to the preferences tab

New Poster

what happened to the preferences tab

Since the much-ballyhooed "upgrade" of the user interface, I cannot find the "preferences" tab for email.

I noticed that most of the email in my trash folder suddenly disappered one day.  Apparently the standard for that folder has now been set by Comcast to 30 days, and was applied to folders such as mine which had previously been set to save messages for periods longer than that.   I tried everything to figure out how to go in to change my preferences for email retention (in trash or other folders), or for pretty much anything related to email, but all pieces of advice kept leading back to the Preferences Tab, which I cannot find.  The chat help line sent me to the preferences tab; the documentation on the website sent me to the preferences tab.  I even tried logging in on different browsers and from different computers to see if it's just me who's missing the preferences tab, but it was gone no matter how I logged in.  Finally I watched the little video xfinity has trumpeting the new interface and I see that there too, the preferences tab is missing.  I called support and the very nice woman told me that she was getting lots of calls such as mine, but that basically she had no answer.

Is there a way to get to email preferences in the new interface that I'm missing.  I've tried settings, options, etc. but the retention policy options are not there.  Thank you!

Email Expert

Re: what happened to the preferences tab

First of all, in the new format, you no longer have the option of setting email retention periods unless you enable the account in a desktop email client like Outlook or Mac Mail  or some other.  All folders in the new format will keep emails indefinitely until you either move or delete them with the exception of the Spam folder, which is now defaulting to 30 days, and the Trash folder which now is set to 7 days.  It is possible you may see older messages than that in those two folders for a while yet while the format is still being developed.

To see your preferences in the new format, from the Inbox page, click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the page near your name, then on Settings.   It looks like this-----------------------

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 8.57.44 PM.jpg

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Visitor

Thank you for your response. That expains things in a way that the website and chat line did not. What is the default retention time for Sent Items?

It appears that you can only use Outlook to shorten retention times, not to extend the retention period for, say, Trash. So if you want to delete something but not necessarily forever after only a week then you have to set up a "fake trash" folder I guess.
Email Expert

If you use a desktop client like Outlook, the settings in it should override the ones in the Comcast webmail UI.  But even if you don't, after 7 days you still have the ability to recover them for up to two weeks--------------------

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/recover-deleted-email/

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Visitor

How do I override the setting using Outlook. I set the Trash folder to "Do Not AutoArchive" but tha doesn't seem to prevent deletion. Thank you again for your help!
Email Expert

I've never used Outlook, but I do use Mac Mail and if I set it to keep the emails for 30 days in Trash it will do just that.  Assuming the account is set up using IMAP I would think Outlook will do the same.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation