Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

sending mail via SMTP port 465 became flaky (via Swann NVR)

New Poster

sending mail via SMTP port 465 became flaky (via Swann NVR)

Hi,

A few months ago, I had to switch from having my Swann NVR (their UI simply says the model is "8ch 3MP NVR") from sending notifications via SMTP from Gmail to Comcast's SMTP servers.  The former had worked fine for another year, but to make a long story short, Google made a change that made the Swann NVR incompatible w/Gmail's SMTP servers until Swann releases an update.

Anyway, smtp.comcast.net via port 465 and Enable SSL checked in Swann's UI had been working fine for months until sometime today (9/11/16).  Sometime after probably after 6:32 am Pacific time 9/11/16, it seemed to start getting really flaky.  My NVR would definitely show motion detections but I'd receive no email.  Rebooted all my network equipment and NVR to no avail.  I can maybe get 1 test email out (via Swann's UI) or 1 notification and that's it.

I ended up changing to SMTP port 587 and I MUST turn off Enable SSL to get things going again.  At that point, test emails and notification mails seem fine.  (The NVR sends out notification emails if there's motion detected on a camera.)

Did something change making port 465 unreliable?  I'm just hoping that I'm not down to no set of ports and enable SSL not working until Swann finally releases an update.

If I login to Xfinity's web UI for my mail, I can see that it says I'm using 0% of 10 GB, so it's not like my mail account is full.

Official Employee

Re: sending mail via SMTP port 465 became flaky (via Swann NVR)

cwerdna2 wrote:

Hi,

A few months ago, I had to switch from having my Swann NVR (their UI simply says the model is "8ch 3MP NVR") from sending notifications via SMTP from Gmail to Comcast's SMTP servers.  The former had worked fine for another year, but to make a long story short, Google made a change that made the Swann NVR incompatible w/Gmail's SMTP servers until Swann releases an update.

Anyway, smtp.comcast.net via port 465 and Enable SSL checked in Swann's UI had been working fine for months until sometime today (9/11/16).  Sometime after probably after 6:32 am Pacific time 9/11/16, it seemed to start getting really flaky.  My NVR would definitely show motion detections but I'd receive no email.  Rebooted all my network equipment and NVR to no avail.  I can maybe get 1 test email out (via Swann's UI) or 1 notification and that's it.

I ended up changing to SMTP port 587 and I MUST turn off Enable SSL to get things going again.  At that point, test emails and notification mails seem fine.  (The NVR sends out notification emails if there's motion detected on a camera.)

Did something change making port 465 unreliable?  I'm just hoping that I'm not down to no set of ports and enable SSL not working until Swann finally releases an update.

If I login to Xfinity's web UI for my mail, I can see that it says I'm using 0% of 10 GB, so it's not like my mail account is full.

465 seems ok here, no changes at all over the weekend.   Looking at logs for your sending IP, nothing looks out of place.  Are you seeing any errors on your end, other than it not going out?  Could Swann have pushed an update yesterday sometime?

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation