Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

sending email from iphone

New Poster

sending email from iphone

I am getting this message when I try to send email from iphone "cannot send mail. the user name or password for xxxxxxxx@smtp.comcast.net is incorrect."
Customer Expert

Re: sending email from iphone

These settings apply to all Apple products - iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Mac - if you are using a POP account. The IMAP ports and some settings may be different.

You need to set the username and password in two places - once for incoming and once for outgoing. The ports are different for incoming (995 to mail.comcast.net) and outgoing(465 to smtp.comcast.net). You need to turn on SSL and have password authentication. (For IMAP, incoming is 993 to imap.comcast.net adn outgoing is 587 with smtp.comcast.net)

Do not use Comcast in the "name" field as this is what recipients see as your short name. Use your real name there.

Check that you do not have too many messages stored on the Comcast server. Put the important ones in a folder (not under the trash) and delete the ones you don't need. A quick fix is to move all of them to a folder on the server. Then send yourself mail.

Check that your password is a strong one with upper and lower case letters as well as a digit.

Screenshots showing needed information. Your screens may be slightly different but info is correct.

mailAcct.jpg     mailAdvanced.jpg

mailSMTP.jpg   mailOutgoing.jpg

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation