Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

"Your XFINITY Connect session has timed out due to inactivity" message

New Poster

"Your XFINITY Connect session has timed out due to inactivity" message

"Your XFINITY Connect session has timed out due to inactivity" message.  I get this message every time i sign in ever since comcast reset my password yesterday.  I can't seem to turn off the timed out feature.  Help please!  This is VERY annoying!!!

Thank you,

Terry

New Poster

Re: "Your XFINITY Connect session has timed out due to inactivity" message

I have been getting this message to It may have started when Comcast gave me a new Modem for my Internet . I have read that it may be a security Feature So far I can not find the causes of it.

When I I use Windows live I do not get this " Session timeout due to Inactivity.

New Poster

Do you also get everything opening in NEW tabs when you do something in Comcast email?  It's driving me nuts!  New tabs started when they upgraded.  Then other day, I couldnt sign in and they had to reset my password.  When they did that, my internet went down.  When it came back up, started getting this "timed out" message.  Very annoying!!!  Yet Comcast keeps raising their prices!

Regular Contributor

If you want an answer to this DO NOT CALL COMCAST - THEY WILL SIMPLY GIVE YOU A VERY STUPID ANSWER AND THE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS.  WE ARE ON THE VERGE OF LEAVING COMCAST AND GOING TO VERIZON.

Contributor

I just noticed the Time Out Notification this morning!

I have to now see how long ?? a period of inactivity before the swat off the face to a mosquito ready for a meal??

For years (maybe 10 ) I have been asking Comcast To include a "Boing"..."Ding".......or a "Dong"..when there is a New Message (e-mail ) on the Inbox of my account when signed on!

That recently was accomplished by "Comcast", and I was happy! I could be cooking, or doing something, and then (Thank You Comcast) I would get a e-mail in my Connect In-Box, and a "KerPlunk" sound would let me know I got mail.

Now, with the inactivity Time Out feature, I don't know if that will be something that would work anymore?

I am wondering and questioning...[ How Long a period of Inactivity before Time Out? ]

......................................................[ Is there a specific function to set the Time Out period i.e. 3min. 5min. etc.?].........[ Do I have to Pay More to disable the Time Out Feature?] ..... [ If there is a Time out, do I get a reimbursement for the Time Out Period?, because this is like saying, OK customer, you signed up and agreed to a service, and you pay for a service / feature; but we are now going to limit that service / feature.

See the bottom of this page where it says   I Comcast.com Feedback I . I will try asking my question on that, and I'll bet it never gets L00Ked at!

I wonder if "Verizon Mail" has a timed out feature?? ......

New Poster

Today is November 18, 2012 and the timeout Session Due to Inactivity is getting  Worse and is making very angry

When I first got Comcast cable it was great no Problems.

Something has changed  in Comcast  Internet,t If it is coming from Comcast Server  or how ever it is setup

Comcast  please if this Issue. 

I'm sure they have someone with  who is trained in Computers and Modems to Finally Fix the Many Problem

Comcast is Having.

What happened to " The Customer is always right." We Work hard for our Money and we deserve the best Internet  Service for our Business and when are home to relax and have a nice relaxing time on the computer

Contributor

Actually, the Timed Out  feature did not happen to me all day. It was only in the Morning after 2 hours of inactivity.

Maybe it is fixed??? ......

Regular Contributor

This happens all day long - as soon as I turn on my computer it happens.  I get this never ending message all day long. - WHY CAN'T COMCAST FIX THIS ANNOYING MESSAGE?  If Comcast has an answer they have not been forthcoming, it is just one more nuisance that we put up with all day long by subscribing to Comcast.   COMCAST, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE FIX THIS!

Gold Problem Solver

Have you:

Cleared your browser cache.

Which browser/version are you using?

Have you tried a different browser?

Have you reset your browser to the default settings?  Save Favs & bookmarks first

Yiu might want to consider setting up a free email account And using it instead of XfintyConnect until they get this fixed.  You can install Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, Gmail.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

I get that annoying message at the top of my e-mail homepage, too.

The only suggestion from an e-mail "expert" here, was totally NOT useful!

It is annoying, and wonder what Comcast is up-to, with this one!!??

It's NOT a user problem, it's definatly a Comcast, created - problem!!!

We pay them big bucks, and would be nice to have a lot of these annoyances fixed!

I would like to also go directly to my e-mail box like we used to, and not be annoyed by

all the garbage we have to crawl through, on that stupid main page. . .Just a bunch of

garbage there!! If I wanted to see all that, I could go there. . .Otherwise, I just want to

deal e-mail, and get on with my day!

Frequent Visitor

Swellbox1. . .I completely AGREE!!!!

I get that annoying message at the top of my e-mail homepage, too.

The only suggestion from an e-mail "expert" here, was totally NOT useful!

It is annoying, and wonder what Comcast is up-to, with this one!!??

It's NOT a user problem, it's definatly a Comcast, created - problem!!!

We pay them big bucks, and would be nice to have a lot of these annoyances fixed!

I would like to also go directly to my e-mail box like we used to, and not be annoyed by

all the garbage we have to crawl through, on that stupid main page. . .Just a bunch of

garbage there!! If I wanted to see all that, I could go there. . .Otherwise, I just want to

deal e-mail, and get on with my day!

Contributor

I've done a little research myself and tried different scenario's...

In 3 weeks, I've only has the Timed Out message once. I'm on metric time now; so staying up till 3:30 - 5:00 AM is a norm. I clear all cashe on the two desktops and one laptop every day.

I Set up the three computers and logged in all on the same user name in X-Connect mail.

I never once by leaving the computers signed in had the message appear.

I gave up the test (s) after 3 weeks.....and I figured the message system was probably removed by / from / through Comcast. Yay! ....... Yay??.... N O T ! ! !

With just my Desktop left on line with X-connect...I was away from the computer at 5:00 AM and returned at 7:00 AM and there it was....( Your X-finity Time out Yadda Yadda yadda )

Maybe it happens when Comcast / X-finity / Connect..servers are either down for maintenance, or just overloaded. ??

I am running Win Vista 32 bit ... IE9 ..as a browser on one...and IE8 on the other two.

I must say,,.......I have only had the Time-out notification on the PC that is running the IE9 as the browser.

I had installed the Comcast "Easy Solve" to optimize the internet connections / problems on all three computers. I am wondering, if by doing that, I had left myself open to the Timed Out Feature / Notice / Etc??? Hmmmm! Maybe ? ? ...

If I had frequent notices, maybe I would un-install the "Easy Solve" as a test to see if the annoying notice comes back, but It is / has only occurred once a week or so.

((((((( Baffled! ))))))))))

Frequent Visitor

This afternoon, I called Comcast, waited 30 + minutes to talk to a "technician". After trying to explain the situation to the "technician" he seemed clueless, of course trying to make this a fault of my computer. He said he would try to find the problem, but I'm NOT holding my breath.

This HAS TI BE A COMCAST problem, as it just showed-up about a week ago. I've changed nothing here, and the Pop-up does nothing, but is rather annoying!! My thinking is. . ."Someones newest Phishing expedition, somehow"!!

As long as it's happening to several people, and several people are as annoyed as I am. . .It would be real nice for someone at Comcast to take it seriously, and. . .FIX IT!!

New Poster

I cannot get to ready my e-mails.  I get the above message.  How to I reactivate this?

New Poster

I am having the same timed out error for Months.

If any one is a computer programmer and Computer techs Could Comcast's Norton Internet Security that come with Comcast be causing this issue or could it be a virus?Should comcast come out with a updated virus Program . Maybe the virus program is not detecting all the maleware or virus's that are causing the time out session error?

New Poster

I called Comcast and spoke to a Rep He said the timed out feature is a security feature and there is no way to turn it off or extend the time He said Bank are using this feature.

I Guess we will have live with this or use Windows  Live Mail It seems that this is part of Xfinity home page.

Contributor

It most certainly must be the new web page. Funny thing; I have the three home computers on with mail opened up and just connected over night, and lately for the last 7 days, I have not had a inactivity session message since. Maybe it is because of less traffic on the servers due to the end of holiday shopping on line etc.???
Gold Problem Solver

ALL,

I have notifed the Administrator of this once again...

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Frequent Visitor

"I called Comcast and spoke to a Rep He said the timed out feature is a security feature and there is no way to turn it off or extend the time He said Bank are using this feature.

I Guess we will have live with this or use Windows  Live Mail It seems that this is part of Xfinity home page."

THAT'S TOTAL BS. . .NOTHING IS TIMING OUT, IT'S A TOTAL ERROR ON THE PART OF COMCAST!

THAT STATEMENT IS JUST AN EMPLOYEE WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE BOTHERED!!!

THE POP-UP SHOULD NOT BE THERE!!!!!

Regular Visitor

delete cookies for www.comcast.net -- how hard is it people?(and yes, I just fixed my mom's email doing it.)

why anyone would use a webpage over a real email client(like thunderbird) I'll never understand though.

Frequent Visitor

"delete cookies for www.comcast.net -- how hard is it people?(and yes, I just fixed my mom's email doing it.)

why anyone would use a webpage over a real email client(like thunderbird) I'll never understand though."

#1 Deleting cookies does not allow you to even enter the Comcast area.

#2 Comcast does not allow to go to e-mail, without going across their front page first.

We used to be able to do that, but somehow Comcast thinks we really want to see

the stupid front page????

#3 Comcast is my main e-mail for my web business, and do-not want to change it.

This ALL looks like a definate "physhing expedition" by Comcast for some reason.

I use Windows XP/ IE version #8, and all is updated, all the time.

Come-on Comcast, quit playing with us, and FIX THE PROBLEM!!

Regular Visitor

I am tired of too! EXTREMELY annoying.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast is not in the business of providing quality web services; they are primarily a low budget ISP when it comes to that. Yes, there are many of us who do not share our desktop and would prefer to extend or eliminate time-outs. The best simple solution, if you want that feature: just Google "freeware mail client". Set one up on your machine and have much more control over your mail, and as a bonus: there is no more a$inine "push" advertizing. Many people don't even realize that Microsoft Outlook works as a fine mail client. You can even keep every message you ever received if you want, since messages are stored on your local machine instead of in "the cloud". You can still access current messages via the Comcast webmail page from any computer. There is a learning curve, but the benfits are immense. 

Gold Problem Solver

If you do set up an email client, in the Settings, IF you want copies of email left in the Inbox of XfinityConnect, you need to set that up in your Advanced settings of the email client.  By default, email clients download to the client Inbox, and remove them from the server.

CC

Contributor

Now there is no message inactivity etc etc. It just changes to the home page Xfinity.

I sit here sometimes at 3 in the am waiting for a certain message or pics in my comcast mail inbox, but the horn ( notifier that you got a mail message ) won'''t work on the xfinity home page after a time out of email.

New Poster

you can go directly to comcast email, without the homepage "middleman" if you save http://xfinityconnect.mail.comcast.net/ as a bookmark, or type it straight into your web browser. It will take you to the main page where you can choose to go to inbox, preferences, voice, tv, etc.

Frequent Visitor

^^^ NOT a fix. When you click on "view inbox", you are looped back to a banner at the top of the page telling you that you have timed out due to inactivity.

Most people don't want to clear their cache since they don't want to clear ALL the cookies, etc. Without a specific answer from the geniuses at Comcast about which cookie to delete, you can use a mail client or another browser.

Frequent Visitor

Here you go, Comcast. A few months of free service would be nice ;-)

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Fix-for-quot-Your-XFINITY-Connect-sessi...

New Poster

Your XFINITY Connect session has timed out due to inactivity.

If they don't solve this problem with a week. I'm switching to Gmail. Since it's FREE and Comcast still rising pricing every year.

Your loss Comcast!

New Poster

Well here we go again. In IE 10, Win 7 Pro, the email will not open to the detail view. Just goes back to the home page with the message "Your XFINITY Connect session has timed out due to inactivity". Worked fine yesterday and not today. No changes were made in any settings or preferences. Obvious Comcast after wanting to charge me to fix their problems with a service contract on top of the $230 I already pay, I have to go to my phone now to read emails. Comcast web pages are still in the dark ages, running IE 7 compatibility. I realize it takes a little horsepower to bring software up to date, but IE 7 is a bummer. Running in compatibility mode IE7 or IE 8 does not work either. Not sure what change was made, but suspect CC made it. Anyway, maybe someone will fix it soon.

Frequent Visitor

Gold Problem Solver

Vwlord,

Do you have Compatibility View on under Tools in Internet Explorer Version 10 ? If not, turn it on.

Frequent Visitor

Yes compatibility mode is on. Yes the cache was flushed. Yes the broken letter looking icon in the URL address bar was clicked. Anything that the google search could find, thousands of hits on this subject going back to 2007 were found and noted. Worked fine two days ago, then yesterday quit working. Will try deep cleaning suggestion in link. I have already done something like that.
Regular Visitor

privatedave79 wrote:

Your XFINITY Connect session has timed out due to inactivity.

If they don't solve this problem with a week. I'm switching to Gmail. Since it's FREE and Comcast still rising pricing every year.

Your loss Comcast!

Good luck with that... I've been "fixing" my mom's email(deleting cookies) every 1-2 weeks for months now...

Finally getting her to learn how to use something other than their garbage..

Regular Contributor

I continue to get this stupid message while I am on Comcast.  It just appears at the top of the screen.  How could my "session be timed out" when I am still on Comcast.  I have no idea why this is happening.  Calling Comcast does not help, been there, tried that, and still get this timed out message.

Regular Visitor

download thunderbird. problem solved.

Contributor

Happliy, I have not had the inactivity message for a couple months now!

I have no clue what fixed; and who fixed it, but running three PC's in the house 24 / 7,

I have had NO Issues ????????

Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

That works for a few weeks then you have to keep repeating it. Bummer!
Frequent Visitor

It's an intermittant glitch to begin with; my fix work for as long as the instigating events don't recur. Some people never experience the problem to begin with, and others have it repeat frequently. Whatever the "event" is, is debateable... Apparently complex client-specific issues would be to blame. In any case, it is a fix... the best fix offered so far unless you have something better to offer...?

New Poster

I've been getting this message for months, I also cannot get to the inbox view and therefore cannot read my email. I called support, they said they could fix it, but I would have to pay the support fee of $49 !  I'm using Mozilla, I have Vista OS.  I have no trouble getting my email (via Mozilla) on any other computer or my iphone. I am now using Explorer browser to get my mail, very inconvenient. Any news out there about this problem?

New Poster

if you haven't got it work yet you can try clearing all cookies and cache and it will work on internet explore ver.9 but I'm still trying to get it to work on google chrome  

Frequent Visitor

New Poster

Very good suggustion.

Everyone if you run Chrome do the following:

1   go to chrome://settings in the adress bar.

2   then scroll down to advanced settings and click it

3   then select clear browsing data under privacy

4   select- clear browsing history, delete cookies and other site plugin data, clear data from hosted apps, and empty the cache. (clear data from the beginning of time) 

5 Click Clear browsing data

(It may take a while)

If you are running Internet Explorer:

1   go to safety and open the dropdown menu

2   from that menu select delete browsing history

3   then check off the first 3 options

4   Click delete

(it may take a while)

I hope this helped!

Regular Visitor

I just in installed the xfinits email app and reinstalled the app and it fixed the problem

Regular Visitor

"Your XFINITY Connect session has timed out due to inactivity"

32 bit Windows Vista, Firefox 34.0, using Comcast's web email tool web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/h

I've cleared all the comcast and xfinity cookies, didn't help.

I used to get this message once or twice a day, now (Dec 3, 2014) it's coming about every 20 minutes.

What's really irritating is that I get no warning that my session has timed out. I have been timed-out in the middle of creating and editing an email message, but I don't find out until I hit "Send", my work is lost, and I'm vectored back to Xfinity's splash page where I can learn what the world's worthless-a** celebrities have been up to...

I've learned to copy the email body into the paste buffer before hitting "Send" so I don't lose work, because Comcast's clunky interface can't even seem to auto-save composing emails to the Drafts folder.* That's another way to lose an email in timeout and get sent back to the splash page, hit "Save Draft", which loses all my work. That's just flippin' ironic...

So Xfinity, am I not concerned enough with what Justin Bieber is up to? Is this why I'm being sent back to the splash page every 20 minutes?

*EDIT: I'll admit there is an option to auto-save drafts in Preferences - Email - Composing, and I have had it enabled for some time, but it doesn't work if  "Your XFINITY Connect session has timed out due to inactivity".

Hey Xfinity, how about we get a warning that we're about to be timed out due to inactivity? Most every other app I use that requires a login will warn me if I'm about to be booted, why can't yours?

Frequent Visitor

Amen.

Frequent Visitor

Is there a solution to "timed out due to inactivity?"  I see complaints but no solutions.

Frequent Visitor

Norm, If you read the thread from the top, you will see more than one solution.

Frequent Visitor

Folks, Complaining here ain't gonna make Comcast change anything, unfortunately. They don't take their mail handling system seriously, at least not for their residential customers. There are a few workable solutions to this problem, a couple addressed above. If you have the looping problem, just follow my above link (in a previous post) to a step-by-step workaround. If you are frustrated by short timeout periods, then either use a mail client like M$ Outlook or install one of the many freeware "automatic web page refresh" type applications. Problem Fixed!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats