Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

"Group" .vcf contacts file FAILS to transfer through COMCAST ISP!

New Poster

"Group" .vcf contacts file FAILS to transfer through COMCAST ISP!

PROBLEM (short description) > When I attempt to Email a .vcf file created on my Apple Contact app., the entire Email seems to vanish within Comcast ISP.

BACKGROUND > I have all my contacts stored in Apple Contact (version 9.0). I use Apple Contact in the office, but also rely on it as a backup and update for my mobile (Android) phone. My internet service provider is Comcast/X-Finity…. which btw, I’m 99% sure is the cause of my problem!   

NOTE… I have been doing the following procedure for several years WITHOUT any problems… until just recently… something I believe has changed within Comcast ISP. 

THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD GO > Using the Contact app., I export a “group” .vcf file (less than 100 kb) that may contain perhaps 200 individual contacts which includes all related info (phone #, addresses, etc.). I then simply Email to myself this file, which I then could download this Email with the .vcf file onto my Android phone. Opening this file updates all my contacts automatically on my Android phone.  

Needless to say, this used to be a very efficient and easy method to update and backup all my phone contacts.  I’m sure many others do it this way… I can’t imagine anything better, especially if I ever lost or damaged my mobile phone.

BUT NOW… Just in the last 6 month I’ve been having a very strange problem that I can’t solve.  When I send the Email with the attached group .vcf file, it appears to simply vanish. My computer says it’s sent, but I can’t retrieve it on either on my computer at home or my mobile phone!

FURTHERMORE… When I log in to my Comcast account where I can see what has arrived in the inbox (within Comcast ISP), I again can’t find this particular Email that contains the vcf file.  It seems to evaporate before it even gets to Comcast, or more like Comcast is deleting it. 

Now… here’s another twist to this perplexing issue.  I experimented… when I Email to myself an “individual” .vcf file (just for one contact), there is no problem… it transfers just fine.

I also tried to rename the “group” file in different ways, but with no success.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

One final thing… I did speak to Comcast about a month ago about this.  The service tech

seemed to be really nebulous with all his answers, but at one point said to me that Comcast is aware of the problem…. they attempted to fix it a week earlier, but was unsuccessful, and that I could expect the problem fixed within a few days.  My impression was to not have to much faith in what sounded more like BS from him… typical answer after waiting 15 minutes to talk to someone about this.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation