Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

password recovery

New Poster

password recovery

When logging on to my email I get a pop up asking for additional password recovery options of either a non comcast email or cell phone number.  I have neither, how can I stop this annoying pop up?

Email Expert

Re: password recovery

You can't.  This is a security feature to protect you from hackers hijacking your email account.  If you are going to do email on the internet, then at a bare minumum you need at least one other email account from some other email provider so Comcast could send you recovery information in the event your account is compromised.  There are plenty of free email accounts out there, like Outlook.com, Yahoo, Gmail, and many others.  Sign up for one of them and then make sure you sign into it periodically so it doesn't "expire" on you.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Visitor

Here's the problem, Latoque. We already have 6 Comcast email accounts and 2 mobile phones. But Comcast requires a different phone # for password recovery on each account. That doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, we could get around it by signing up for other free email accounts and wasting even more time cleaning spam off of them, too. By the way, I tried chatting directly with Comcast about this, but their chat pages don't recognize the info you type in. Lousy support!

Email Expert

It can indeed be annoying to deal with, but there it is.  I have a total of about 10 or so email accounts from Gmail (2), Yahoo (1), Outlook.com (1), iCloud (2), Mail.com (1), and at the moment I have 4 Comcast accounts, and each one uses an alternate email from one of the other providers.  I use all those accounts for various reasons other than just as an alternate for Comcast though.  E.G:  I use one of the Gmail accounts stricktly for people in my address book and other important personal stuff.  I use the Yahoo account for signing up for mailing lists.  I use one of the iCloud accounts for testing and also as a sort of note-keeping utility.  And so on.   I also have all those accounts set up in Apple Mail, so it keeps them all signed in all the time, and saves me the trouble of having to sign into them manually most of the time.

I understand that because of the work I do here in the forums, I've got more email accounts than the average person.  But it also gives a better overal security picture, because all your "stuff" isn't tied to one email address and password. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation