Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

missing emails

New Poster

missing emails

Yesterday I had 300+ emails and this morning I had 50. I did not delete any or change anything. Any ideas as to what might have happened or where to find them? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Email Expert

Re: missing emails

Do you have the account enabled on another device like a smart phone or tablet?  If so, is it downloading and then deleting the messages from the server?  Also-------------

Check your deletion schedules to make sure they are set the way you want them. From the Inbox page, go to Preferences>>>>Email, and look about halfway down the list to "Email Deletion Schedules". If it's not that, then as a precaution I would change your password to something stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change your secret question and answer. Suddenly vanishing emails is a common sign of a malware infection, or a compromised account. Run a complete scan of your machine with your A/V software to see if it finds anything wrong.

One other thing to look at, but it's a long shot-----right-click on your Trash folder and click on "Recover Deleted Items".  See if you can spot any of the missing messages in there.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

1-20-2015 Update - it appears that my email is deleting on a 30 day cycle in outlook. i have checked for rules and auto archive and both are turned off. I've checked my ipad settings as well. My company use to delete emails on a 45 day cycle which would also remove them from outlook. I've checked comcast settings and set the deletion to never. I'll know more tomorrow if that is the culprit. This started happening all of a sudden with no changes to settings.

Same thing happened to me last night - my online Comcast mail account has emails going back to Dec 17th and my outlook 2013 now has only emails dated from Dec 17th. I checked outlook to see if archiving was the problem but it's not enabled. Hundreds of emails have disappeared from my outlook inbox.

i don't know of any setting that dictate deleting Outlook inbox items in conjunction with the clearing on the Comcast server.

any ideas anyone

Frequent Visitor

I wish I could tell you that I know why this is happening.   I came here because I have the same problem.    Periodically over the past couple months emails will disappear from my inbox.   I don't see a pattern (eg. more than 30 days).   The biggest loss was everything between May of 2014 and Dec 2014.   Today everything prior to Jan 11 and after May 2014 is gone.  

I can use the "Recover Deleted Items" option to get them back.   But who wants to check the Trash everyday to make sure nothing important is in there.   I've tried contacting Comcast customer support twice and they have been unable to fix the problem.  I've checked the deletion schedule and "never" is the option that's checked. 

I've had this email address for over 10 years but it looks like I'll have to give it up and go to gmail.

Frequent Visitor

Be sure to check your other devices and make sure that they're not deleting them off the server although I have no idea why this would possibly affect outlook where an item has already been downloaded into the outlook inbox. I have set Comcast to "never" delete an email so I'm now monitoring to see if that resolves the issue. I have no idea what that is going to do to the Comcast server... I imagine the file is going to get pretty big.

I find it interesting that NO changes were made to my settings in outlook or Comcast and all of a sudden it's now happening. I have also checked my Ipad and outlook to insure that nothing automated is deleting, moving or archiving emails.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my old company setup their exchange server to delete the emails after 35 days on both the server and outlook inbox. I suspect something along those lines are in play here.

The way to get around this is to setup another inbox (new folder) and call it something like "personal inbox". Then write a rule that moves all messages to your new folder immediately  (use a common identifier that will catch everything - something like your name in the TO, CC and BCC field). This should resolve the issue. When this first happened, i noticed my emails were gone from my inbox but not from other folders. Luckily I had a backup so i was able to get most of them back.

good luck

Frequent Visitor

I don't use outlook.  The only way I access my email is by either logging directly onto the comcast site or on my iphone.   I don't think it's the iphone because when I manually delete emails on the iphone they remain on the comcast site and the emails that have disappeared from the comcast site are still on my iphone.

Just like you, I had made no changes to my settings prior to this issue arising.   Sometimes I think my email is possessed.   I've changed the password a few times to make sure that there isn't someone else accessing it and deleting things.

Thanks for the idea of creating a new inbox.  I will give that a try.  You are way more helpful than the customer support people I've dealt with at Comcast!

Good luck to you too Smiley Happy

New Poster

I  am having the same issue. The idea of creating a separate email folder is great! I can't figure out how to write the rule to make this happen though.

Thank you

Frequent Visitor

It's under Preferences, then Email, then Filter.

I set it up such that anything with my email address in the To or CC or BCC field would go to a new folder.  The option to create a new folder is on the main screen of your email (upper left side, little folder icon with a green plus sign).    I named this folder "A" so that it appears at the top of my list of folders.

It's sort of a pain because a new incoming email will go to both my inbox and the A folder.  Then, if it's an email that I don't want to keep I have to delete it in both folders.  But if the new folder will be immune to the random deletion problems that have plagued my inbox it's probably worth the extra effort.

The other solution would be to check the Trash folder every day to make sure that nothing is in there that you want.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation