Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

missing emails from July to October 2014

New Poster

missing emails from July to October 2014

Please help me to relocate the missing emails from my inbox from July to October 2014.  I need to recover a specific email that was in that time frame and just discovered that there is a significant gap in my inbox.  All of my settings were verified and emails in my inbox were never to be deleted.  Please help asap!! 

Tags (2)
Email Expert

Re: missing emails from July to October 2014

Did you by chance have a smartphone or a tablet with the account enabled on it during that time period?  If so did you have it set to leave a copy of messages on the server?  The default behavior of such devices is that they will download the message and then delete it from the server unless you set it not to.  The device settings override your account deletion schedules.  If it's not that, then as a precaution I would change the account password and secret question and answer;  suddenly vanishing emails can be a sign of a malware infection or a compromised account.  Run a scan of your system with your A/V software.  You can also call Comcast security and see if they can recover the missing emails--------------------

"The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected PCs (commonly referred to as "bots"), online fraud and other security issues."

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I did have a smartphone registered during that time... the override settings are a new revelation for me.  I did see on previous forums that comcast employees got involved and helped out without having to call customer support; we all know the drama unfolding with THAT these days.  Oh well, I may just have to bite the bullet and spend an hour on the line.  Thanks for giving me the number!

Email Expert

If the phone had the account enabled on it at the time, and it was left with the default POP setting to delete from the server------the missing messages would still be on the phone, depending on how you have it configured.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I, too, have a serious issue with vanishing Emails. ALL of my Inbox Emails from 2010 until the last few weeks are no longer showing. I did not delete them, either on a computer or on smart phone device. Several weeks ago, I suddenly saw that I had over 2000 unread emails; these disappeared within a few hours. I have reported this problem before and received no help on it. Can Comcast restore my lost inbox?

Email Expert

pmc0729 wrote:

I, too, have a serious issue with vanishing Emails. ALL of my Inbox Emails from 2010 until the last few weeks are no longer showing. I did not delete them, either on a computer or on smart phone device. Several weeks ago, I suddenly saw that I had over 2000 unread emails; these disappeared within a few hours. I have reported this problem before and received no help on it. Can Comcast restore my lost inbox?

As a precaution I would change your password to something stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change your secret question and answer. Suddenly vanishing emails is  a common sign of a malware infection, or a compromised account.   Run a complete scan of your machine with your A/V software to see if it finds anything wrong.  As far as recovery, you can call Comcast security to see if they can help you, but there is no guarantee----------------

"The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected PCs (commonly referred to as "bots"), online fraud and other security issues."

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

im having the same problem, did you ever get an answer?!?

New Poster

My answer was that they can't help me and will not be retrieving any of my deleted/missing emails.  They finally answered me after 3 phone calls and 2 webchats in February.  

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation