Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

massive numbers of old/duplicate emails

Frequent Visitor

massive numbers of old/duplicate emails

Yesterday I had a short downtime that your technician fixed over the phone. I noticed it when I was trying to load new emails from the server, using Outlook, and received an error message. After I was back online, I hit the send/receive button and let it run. This morning when I opened Outlook, I had 42,000 new emails, emails back to March 23rd, and about 6 copies of each!

There are two problems here. First, I suspect something is wrong with Outlook but it could be from the server. I'm in the process of deleting all of these emails (50,000) from Outlook and have deleted all emails from the server. The second problem, which I called about before is the absurd number of emails (30 days) that you require me to keep as "backups." I am a home user. My emails consist mostly of advertising from retailers that my wife shops at. Ninety percent of my emails are deleted before they are ever opened. I do not need thirty days back-up. I can't use either my cell phone (Windows phone) or my Kindle Fire to read my emails because your server will download all thirty days back-ups to my device, thousands of emails that cannot be easily deleted.

Is there any way to delete emails from the server once I've downloaded them?

Tags (1)
Email Expert

Re: massive numbers of old/duplicate emails

Assuming you have enabled the account on all of your devices using IMAP, everything should be synced, so that if you delete messages on any one of them, they will be deleted on the others as well.  What "backups" are you referring to?  I've never heard of any such 30 day requirement.  If you are on the old email format you can check your preferences for the Deletion Schedule.  If you are on the new format, everything is kept indefinitely until you delete it except for the Trash folder, which is set at 7 days, and the Spam folder which is set to 30 days.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

No, I'm not using IMAP.

You say you have never heard of a 30 day requirement, yet you tell me to check the "Deletion Schedule." I have done this. There is a dropdown that lists the options available. The minimum time is 30 days. If that's not a requirement, I don't know what would be. I can't find that anymore though. 

How do I change to an IMAP account?

Official Employee

Hello JOnathanPapelbo. I can assist with your email concerns. Have you been able to successfully delete the old emails? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation