Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

is there a way to set up automatic delete of emails after a month

New Poster

is there a way to set up automatic delete of emails after a month

Is there a way to set up deleting my old emails after a month.  It used to do that automatically until the update from Xfinity? Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Expert

Re: is there a way to set up automatic delete of emails after a month

Spam is stored for 7 days or 2,000 messages, whichever comes first.  Trash is stored for 14 days or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first.  All other folders should now keep emails indefinitely until you delete them.

Regular Contributor

Emails should delete permanently after a set time period but they don't. I am going into the trash and selecting emails that are over one month old and having to delete them manually. Even though they are set up to delete after one month, Mac OS 10.12.6. Is this an Xfinity or Mac problem?

Expert

19regor39 wrote:

Emails should delete permanently after a set time period but they don't. I am going into the trash and selecting emails that are over one month old and having to delete them manually. Even though they are set up to delete after one month, Mac OS 10.12.6. Is this an Xfinity or Mac problem?

Are you using Mac Mail?  If so, it used to be that the settings in Mail would override those in the Comcast webmail interface.  However, in the new format that appears not to be the case.  The time intervals I posted above will now take precedence.  If you want to keep Spam or Junk messages longer than that, you need to move them into local folders "On My Mac".  Keep in mind that those schedules are based on when you deleted the emails, not when you got them.  So you could delete a message today that you got in 2016 and it will still be kept according to the schedule.

Regular Contributor

If Trash is only kept for 14 days on my computer something is wrong here because I have to manually delete emails in Mac Mail Trash that are over one month old.

Expert

Look at the URL in the address bar of your browser when in the Inbox page.  Does it say Zimbra or Appsuite?  If the former, you are still in the old email format.  That being the case, the settings in Mail would override those in Comcast.  If you are in the new format then what I  posted upthread should apply.

New Poster

Something got missed by Comcast thinkers. One of my Comcast email addresses is used by my home security camera. Deleting automatically after 30 days is just right. Not deleting (automatically or otherwise) means the box fills up, new mail is refused, and my security system is defeated. Declaring all mail to be trash results in 14-day deletion, too soon given "two-week vacation) and the like.