Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

how do I delete all the files in the trash/recover folder

Frequent Visitor

how do I delete all the files in the trash/recover folder

how do I delete all the files in the trash/recover folder? I have emails in it dating back to 2009, is there any way to get rid of them? 

Email Expert

Re: how do I delete all the files in the trash/recover folder

Are you talking about the Trash folder in the Comcast webmail?  If so, just right-click on it and then click on "Empty Trash".  But the longest you should be able to keep anything in the Trash folder is 30 days.  Or are you using an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird?  We need some better information here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

inside the trash folder is the recover deleted files option. I have my prefences set to delete all items in this folder after three days, but items are still in that folder from all the way back to 2009

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/coldair/trash%20folder%20recovery_zpss6mcto2q.png[/IMG]

this is an imap acount and I am using Xfinity's webmail to access it in addition to using outlook inside office 2013. it does not matter if I use any pc running windows 7 or my macbook. it's still there.

Email Expert

OK here's the deal-------The Recover Deleted Items feature was first instituted about last August, so it's still a fairly new thing by Comcast standards.  For years a lot of people would come into the forum asking for a way to recover something they later regretted deleting.  And it still happens for older emails.  This was a way to try and solve that problem, without people having to call Comcast security to try and get messages back from the abyss.

That said, it's supposed to go back only two weeks.  My own goes back to the beginning of March, plus odd lots of messages from this past February, and some from 2014, and 2013.   There is no consistency to it.  Also, it's only supposed to work on emails and folders that you deliberately deleted.  If it's a message that was deleted because the account was compromised, or because of your settings in Preferences--------that's not supposed to show in there.

The feature is a two-edged sword though, because I have found no way to re-delete anything from it.  You just have to wait for the messages to vanish on their own.  So the down side is that stuff you really, really, really want gone might still be there for at least a while.

When the feature was first activated, there was no roll-out or announcement of any kind.  I don't think there's any written instructions on how to use it or what it's limitations are supposed to be. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thnaks for the help. I have been trying to find the reason why my on line storage amount for my email keeps increasing inspite of me deleting emails religiously

Gold Problem Solver

Quick question. In Outlook, is it set yo the leave copies of messages on thevService?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, until deleted from the trash folder

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation