Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

how can I effectively get rid of copyright infringement notifications

New Poster

how can I effectively get rid of copyright infringement notifications

in the past two weeks I've received two seperate copyright infringment emails. one from Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and the other from comcast. i don't know the difference in either but that's not the issue. 

the problem is that I have no idea of the incidents in question. I don't download anything and if I did it would certainly not be the two files that I'm accused of. both of these incidents supposedly happened on the same day( January 2, 2016) even though I wasn't notified until weeks later. I tried contacting comcast about these two seperate incidents both times I received notification and they weren't very helpful. I was asked the same questions both times and subsequently given the same awnsers. this is very upsetting because Comcast has the right under the copyright protection act to disconnect my service if this persist yet they can't give me any better ways to protect myself from this constantly happening.

after the first incident I changed my wifi and admin passwords, ran multiple virus scans (and came up with nothing) and set up the wireless gateway to only allow certain mac address from specific devices to connect to the internet, and these devices can only be used to stream media and not download(hopefully those are two seperate things). I also turned off the wifi on my PC and only use the ethernet cord to connect to the network. can anyone tell me if this is enough?

I'm not an expert or even a novice computer user so I don't know what more can be done, and Comcast only recommends these actions. additionally they aren't very helpful in giving you any real information regarding the so called incidents, or even if they can actually tell if the unlawful download really came from your IP address or if they made some sort of mistake. they alo try and advise you to enroll in ID guard (which is an xfinity poduct) for a total of $14.99 a month, even though this has nothing to do with solving an issue regarding downloads to your personal network.how is this helpful? I  already pay for comcast I am not going to pay for a service I don't need( I already have this service through someone else), comcast should not try to make money off of their customers by selling them a product that doesn't solve anything. rather they should be more involved in investigating these incidents and verifying if it actually happened or not.  I can only dispute these claims after about the 5th or 6th notice, however I would like to find a way to stop receiving notices for things I haven't done or will ever do. so if there is anyone out there that is also experiencing this issue and has more computer knowledge then I do could you please tell me if there is anything I can do besides moving to the county and getting Fios?

Thanks,

Naja978

Does anyone know of anything that can be done to defend myself from any future actions 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: how can I effectively get rid of copyright infringement notifications

I don't know if this link will help you, but other links Nader Comcast Postmaster might too.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/how-can-I-effectively-get-rid-of-copyri...

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation