Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

email account

Regular Visitor

email account

We are moving to a location that does not have access to comcast (xfinity). I would like to keep my email account @comcast.net. Is this possible? If so, how do I arrange to keep my email @comcast.net when I disconnect my xfinity cable?

Regular Contributor

Re: email account

I could be wrong, but since you are moving to area where Comcast isn't avilable and you will no longer be a paying customer, you will probably be losing your comcast.net e-mail account also. Not unless you can work out some arrangement with Comcast customer support where they can still bill you for using that e-mail address on your new ISP or they may give you some time to get everything transferred over to your new ISP before they fully cancel your account, but you will have to work that out with customer support. I know that before my dad recently passed away, he was a Charter Interent subscriber for a very long time and I had a Charter.net e-mail address under his account which I lost when I had to cancel his account with them. I asked them if there was some way that they'd let me keep it and they told me a big NO. Your best bet would be to write down all of your contacts e-mail addresses and then when you get your service established at your new location and get your new e-mail address, e-mail all of your contacts from your new e-mail account and let them know what your new e-mail address is. Then, if you have any online accounts registered under your old e-mail address, like on Twitter, Facebook, etc, I would log into them as well and change your e-mail address at that time.

It's either this, or you can set up a free e-mail account with either Gmail, Yahoo, or Outlook.com and then follow the same process that I mentioned above to move your contacts and other online accounts over to one of those e-mail accounts instead. Doing this will also allow you to forward all of your e-mail from your comcast mail account to one of these accounts, so you will have a backup of all of your e-mails and use the contacts from those e-mails to build your contacts list. That way, if you ever have to move again or have to change ISP's for that matter, you won't ever have to worry about losing your e-mail account in the process. That's the main reason why these free services exist for. You just have to make sure that you give either Gmail, Yahoo, or Outlook.com your cell phone number and a back up e-mail address, so just in case you ever forget your password, they can send you a text message to recover your account. You don't have to give these services a back up e-mail address when intially setting up your e-mail account, but it's a good idea to do so after you have service established with your new ISP and they give you a new e-mail address and cell phone number too if you happen to also be changing your cell phone number as well.

I am not paid by Xfinity nor am I an official Xfinity Forum expert. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those in that program & I hope to one day join them. I am a paying customer just like U. Did I happen to answer your question or solve your issue? If so, then please consider giving me Kudos and / or marking my posting as an "Accepted Solution" so that the other contributors can go on to the next issue. Giving me Kudos and / or marking my postings as an "Accepted Solution" is the best way U can thank us. God bless.
Regular Contributor

I think standard procedure is that if you close your CCAST account, your account name/info goes to a pending 90-day closeout. Your email account*name* will be unavailable. You would probably need to keep your CCAST account in order to keep using your *@Comcast.net email address ....

Email Expert

jdm122 wrote:

We are moving to a location that does not have access to comcast (xfinity). I would like to keep my email account @comcast.net. Is this possible? If so, how do I arrange to keep my email @comcast.net when I disconnect my xfinity cable?

The other posters are correct.  Once you leave Comcast you will no longer be able to access your email with them;  as with most ISPs it's proprietary.  If you want to keep any existing emails you have on the Comcast server, consider setting up the account in a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird.  That way you will at least have them on the computer.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation