Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

comcast email security

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

comcast email security

Sorry, we could not find any pages containing "comcast email security".

That doesn't help me. My Comcast account has been spoofed. Someone is sending email with my comcast name and comcast address.

I would like to find out what to do about it. Can I report it to someone? Does Comcast have any protections on it's email?

The simple answer is to blame me, my software, my computer, etc, but the fact is, I am getting email with a return address and identity of me at myemail@comcast.net. sent to me, through my email address at comcast.net.

I understand that anyone can get my email address, but how did they turn my comcast email address into their own sender address?

Accepted Solution

Re: comcast email security

Unfortunately, it's really easy to spoof an email address.  There is nothing you can do to prevent it once the spammer has your address.  Usually they will use an address for a couple of weeks or so and then move on to annoy someone else.  As you already know, there's a truckload of ways they can find your address.  You may find this interesting-----------------------

https://askleo.com/from_spoofing_how_spammers_send_email_that_looks_like_it_came_from_you/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=JKaMWRCDDJdfbL

No email provider, including Comcast, can do anything to prevent it either.

View answer in context
Email Expert

Unfortunately, it's really easy to spoof an email address.  There is nothing you can do to prevent it once the spammer has your address.  Usually they will use an address for a couple of weeks or so and then move on to annoy someone else.  As you already know, there's a truckload of ways they can find your address.  You may find this interesting-----------------------

https://askleo.com/from_spoofing_how_spammers_send_email_that_looks_like_it_came_from_you/?awt_l=E37...

No email provider, including Comcast, can do anything to prevent it either.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thank you Latoque.

This had me worried.

After I got the first spoofed email, I had a malfunction that prevented my access to internet explorer and norton antivirus. It required a norton repair. Today, I got another spoof email.

Maybe they're not related.

Email Expert

One thing to keep an eye on with your situation---------check your Sent folder to see if there is anything in there you know you didn't send out.  If there is then the account has been compromised, and you need to change your password and security question.  If not, then it's just spoofing.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation