Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

burn DVD of film in an email

ANSWERED
New Poster

burn DVD of film in an email

I was sent a film by email.  Can I burn that film to a DVD?  How?

Accepted Solution

Re: burn DVD of film in an email

There are several things to consider here.
- Is it a copyrighted movie? If so, don't do it.
- Does your computer have a DVD drive that can burn disks?

- Does your computer have iDVD? (I'm assuming you have a Mac since you posted in the Macintosh part of the Comcast help forums). 
- What format is the movie in and what format do you need to it to be in to play where you want to play it?

First step is to download it from mail onto your computer so that you have a file on your computer. I didn't have any small WMV movies, so I sent myself a small MP4 movie. When I arrived in my mail on the Comcast web-based email, I could click download (as shown in the picture) to save it in my Downloads folder.

MovieDownload.jpgClick "Download" to save in Downloads folder

Then you need to determine what format you need to burn onto a DVD. Are you going to play it on a TV? On a computer? Does it play on your computer? Check by double-clicking on it. Mine opened in QuickTime Player and played. But QuickTime Player doesn't export in a form a normal DVD player can play.

So then you go read about options at the Apple support forums. This article explains the options. Good luck.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3711

I was going to suggest VLC (http://www.vlc.de) as an additional tool if you need to convert between formats

View answer in context
Customer Expert

Re: burn DVD of film in an email

There are several things to consider here.
- Is it a copyrighted movie? If so, don't do it.
- Does your computer have a DVD drive that can burn disks?

- Does your computer have iDVD? (I'm assuming you have a Mac since you posted in the Macintosh part of the Comcast help forums). 
- What format is the movie in and what format do you need to it to be in to play where you want to play it?

First step is to download it from mail onto your computer so that you have a file on your computer. I didn't have any small WMV movies, so I sent myself a small MP4 movie. When I arrived in my mail on the Comcast web-based email, I could click download (as shown in the picture) to save it in my Downloads folder.

MovieDownload.jpgClick "Download" to save in Downloads folder

Then you need to determine what format you need to burn onto a DVD. Are you going to play it on a TV? On a computer? Does it play on your computer? Check by double-clicking on it. Mine opened in QuickTime Player and played. But QuickTime Player doesn't export in a form a normal DVD player can play.

So then you go read about options at the Apple support forums. This article explains the options. Good luck.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3711

I was going to suggest VLC (http://www.vlc.de) as an additional tool if you need to convert between formats

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation