Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

VPN connection

New Poster

VPN connection

Hello.  I am a new comcast customer and I do a lot of work from home.  I need to VPN to my work desk top.  My IT support has set up my new laptop to VPN but there is a problem with the portal on my router that's not allowing me to VPN to my work computer.

Contributor

Re: VPN connection

Do you have a Comcast supplied router or was it one that you went out and purchased? And did your IT people tell you which ports need to be opened?

New Poster

I have this exact same issue.  I can remote access from my laptop in other locations without problems, but it's blocked from my home wireless comcast network.  Can someone help?

Highlighted
Contributor

Need to know which ports need to be opened. By default the router is more than likely blocking those ports and you will have to use port forwarding to allow access...

New Poster

I have the same problem, I just switched to comcast and cannot connect to my work via VPN.

Did you get any fix?

Contributor

Ports ports ports people...Need to know which ports the VPN operates on so you can open the router up.....and did I mention PORTS

New Poster

I am not a techy, how do you check the ports and what do you do?

Contributor

Ask your IT folks at work which ports the VPN operates on...You will need port number(s) and whether or not it operates on TCP or UDP or both...Once you get that information you can then contact your router manufacturer or a local computer shop who can instruct you on how to open those ports..I work at a Fortune 500 company in IT and we DO NOT ever support working on a remote network, but your IT dept may be different. In any event, plan to have to spend a little money once you get the information needed or read up on port forwarding to get things accomplished.

New Poster

so I've got the external IP address with the port number, but I don't know where within my router setup to enter this information.  I've tried the port forwarding option, but it wants a LAN IP which doesn't make sense to me.  anyone able to direct me?  thanks!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation