Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Unable to send mail from mail client

Frequent Visitor

Unable to send mail from mail client

Hello, about 24 hours ago, I got a message from Apple Mail telling me Comcast's mail server did not recognize my mail password, and I have been unable to send mail from my mail client since then.

This happened to me a few years ago, and somebody in Comcast's Help forums back then told me it was just a periodic problem that sometimes happens with Comcast's mail servers, and would generally go away on its own.

I did call Comcast earlier today for support, and the person I spoke with told me there was, in fact, a problem on their end, but that I would have to speak with their e-mail department, i.e., "Customer security and satisfaction" or something like that. I was on hold for 52 minutes, however, so I eventually gave up.

I have not changed anything in my mail client's settings at all, and I have not changed my Comcast password, so it is most curious that this is not working.

When I access Comcast Web mail, by the way, I am able to send e-mails. But I really need for my Apple Mail client to work the way it always has.

Specifics regarding my system:

This is under OS X version 10.10.3., and I'm using Mail version 8.2.

My mail settings:

Incoming mail server: mail.comcast.net

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.comcast.net (and then it has my screen name and the word "Offline" in parentheses)

The "use only this server" box is checked.

Under "Advanced Settings," Port 110 is entered, and "use SSL" is checked.

Authentication is set to "password."

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Email Expert

Re: Unable to send mail from mail client

Did you try just resetting the password in Mail?  Remember it has to be changed in two places, one for the incoming server, and again for the outgoing server.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I have not been able to send new emails and can not reply to older emails since Thursday. I contacted Xfinity and even have a ticket number. So far I still can not send and no technician connected me to help like I was told they would. What now?
Email Expert

raflaum wrote:
I have not been able to send new emails and can not reply to older emails since Thursday. I contacted Xfinity and even have a ticket number. So far I still can not send and no technician connected me to help like I was told they would. What now?

Exactly what happens when you try to send an email?  Are you using only the Comcast webmail, or a client like Outlook or Thunderbird?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I am using Comcast email. When trying to send out messages I get 'an error occurred while processing your request'
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Latoque, that has fixed it. I assumed it wouldn't be necessary because I had not made any changes to my password. Bad assumption on my part.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation