Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Unable to connect to Comcast mail using Windows Live Mail.

Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to Comcast mail using Windows Live Mail.

Over the last few days, I have suddenly not been able to access my email through Windows Live Mail. I have Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.0308).

I get the following error:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Comcast (danroth) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'mail.comcast.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

I checked my settings - which had been working just fine - and the Outgoing port is set to 465 and the Incoming port is 995.

My incoming mail is a POP3 server, and my incoming mail is mail.comcast.net, while outgoing is smtp.comcast.net.

I hope I have provided enough information. Can someone please help me get this figured out?

Thanks!

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Unable to connect to Comcast mail using Windows Live Mail.

danrothnj wrote:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Comcast (danroth) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'mail.comcast.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

Your settings look OK. I'm gonna guess that WLM isn't getting along with your AV program, and suggest that you Google on 0x800CCC0F and the name of your AV program for ideas on how to get things sorted out.

Bronze Problem Solver

Yes the settings look ok.  But have you tried some of the alternate ports listed on this page.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Frequent Visitor

I have tried the 110 port that they suggest as an alternate for the POP3, but no luck with that.

That page is now recommending IMAP instead of POP3 and I cannot figure out how to change that, so I have left that alone.

Bronze Problem Solver

Yes but the page also contains this at the bottom

Email Clients

If you use one of the email clients below, you will need to change your email program settings to send email on port 587. Click on the name of your email client to get detailed setup instructions and to change your settings:

The list included windows live mail.

Outgoing port is 587

You are using 465 did you try changing it to 587?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for pointing that out - I missed that.

I changed the Outgoing port to 587 and got the same result.

WLM starts like it normally does with the green progress bar, and shows it is  "Receiving list of messages from server", but after a minute or so it gives me the error message.

It is frustrating because this started on it's own - I had been sending and receiving mail just fine - this came out of the blue.

Bronze Problem Solver

kheffington wrote:

Yes but the page also contains this at the bottom

Email Clients

If you use one of the email clients below, you will need to change your email program settings to send email on port 587. Click on the name of your email client to get detailed setup instructions and to change your settings:

The list included windows live mail.

Outgoing port is 587

You are using 465 did you try changing it to 587?

You're just sending him on a wild goose chase. First, his error was clearly generated when receiving email via POP, so the outgoing server setup has nothing to do with it. Second, despite what that web page says, Comcast is currently recommending port 465. They used to recommend port 587. That "need to change" bit isn't really about changing to port 587, it's about changing *from* port 25. Port 587 and port 465 will both work.

Frequent Visitor

Anyone else have any idea?  Haven't been able to use Windows Live Mail for weeks now.  Does anyone from comcast ever check these posts?  Not sure what else to try.

Bronze Problem Solver

danrothnj wrote:

Anyone else have any idea?  Haven't been able to use Windows Live Mail for weeks now.  Does anyone from comcast ever check these posts?  Not sure what else to try.

Did you Google on that error code + your AV program and try any of the suggested fixes?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply!

All of the suggested fixes above involved the port settings - tried them all and no success. Smiley Sad

Googling that error code generally brings up multiple message boards that all seem to offer those same suggestions.

I disabled my Norton Anti-Virus and still have the same issue.

It's odd to me that after years of using Windows Live Mail, it suddenly doesn't work at all. 

I am open to any other ideas.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation