New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Unable to add email to account

ANSWERED
New Poster

Unable to add email to account

Hello,

I understand that with my comcast internet account, I am allowed 6 users each with their own email address.  I am trying to add a 6th user to my account, which works, but that user does not have an email address associated with it.  Can someone please help me or do I need to call xfinity support?

Thank you

Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to add email to account

My guess is that it would be best to delete this user and create a new one.

I created a new one just to test it out and it worked fine. I was able to access the new Inbox.

It did take awhile to populate the "Contact Email" fields though.

View answer in context
Regular Contributor

www.comcast.com

My Account

Sign In

enter name/password

Sign In

Manage Users and Alerts

Add a User

New Poster

Thank you, that is exactly what I did, but that newly created user has no email address associated with it.

Regular Contributor

When you add a user, you enter a username for that person. That username becomes part of the email address:

"username"@comcast.net

So if username is Fred, the email address is Fred@comcast.net

New Poster

Thank you, I am also aware of that.  My problem is not that I don't know how to add a new user.  My problem is not that I don't know the new user's email address.  My problem IS that the new user does not have an email address.

When open that tab for the new user in the Users and Preferences page, the Contact emails section does not have the user's email address there.  There is no link to add or change the email address for the user on that user's tab.

Gold Problem Solver

When you create a new User, the User's email address is going to be username@comcast.net

You do not add/change the email address, username@comcast.net IS the email address.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Contributor

Under Users and Preferences, the Contact email section may be blank for a new user. I believe that is for an alternate email address for password retrieval. The title might be a little confusing. They probably should have used a different title for that section, like 

"Alternate email address for password retrieval"

Gold Problem Solver

I agree.

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Poster

OK.  When I send an email to that username@comcast.net, I get the following bounced back.  I changed the actual name to username.

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

username@comcast.net

Technical details of permanent failure: 
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain comcast.net by mx2.comcast.net. [2001:558:fe2d:70::22].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.1.1 Not our Customer
Gold Problem Solver

Check to see what Usernames are associated with your Account.  Is that new one there or not?

To do:

Go to the My Account sign in page (clickable link)

Underneath SIGN IN you will see Don't know your email or username? Click the link.

Tick the circle next to your address, click Next.

All user accounts will be listed. The primary account will have that designation next to it.

CC

New Poster

This is a new user that I am adding to my account.  I have successfully added the user and I see it as a separate tab on my Users and Preferences when I login using the primary user for the account.

When I followed your directions, it does show that new user's email address among the list of addresses for the account.

Each of my existing five users as the user's email address of that user as the preferred contact in the Contact emails section.  This new has no such entry and there is no way to add it for the new user and no way to change it for the other users that already have working email addresses.

Thank you

Gold Problem Solver

OK,

I just checked one of my Secondary Usernames, and I see this:  Is THIS what you are not seeing under Basic Settings when you click on that Username?

contact 1.JPG

contat 2.JPG

New Poster

Correct.  I don't have a preferred contact entry and I do not the ability to select an alternate email.  I only have the link for "Manage marketing email preferences".

I would post a snapshot but I don't see the option to do that in the rich text editor.

Gold Problem Solver

Is that new User set as an unrestricted user?

I am quickly running out of ideas....Smiley Sad

CC

New Poster

It is setup to access the Basic Settings of the account.

Regular Contributor

You might try logging out and then back in to see if it updates. You may have caught the system while it was still updating the fields. It may take awhile for the fields to update. Just a guess.

New Poster

Nah, that couldn't be it.  I created this new about a week ago.  I gave up on trying the email until today.  So the status hasn't changed in a week now.  That's why I thought I should try asking here.  I've logged in and out multiple times from the primary and from this new user.  Logins work, but there is never any option to add an alternate email address nor has the user's email address ever shown up in that user's preferences.

Regular Contributor

My guess is that it would be best to delete this user and create a new one.

I created a new one just to test it out and it worked fine. I was able to access the new Inbox.

It did take awhile to populate the "Contact Email" fields though.

New Poster

Bingo!  Deleting and adding the user again did the trick.  Thank you both for your help!

Regular Contributor

Yeh!

New Poster

Well I am having the same problem except I have deleted and renamed the user several times. No Contact Email field ever populates. Have run out of ideas. Have been trying to add this business user for over a week.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation