Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Unable to Sync my Email on my PC with Email on my Samsung Phone

New Poster

Unable to Sync my Email on my PC with Email on my Samsung Phone

Can someone please tell me how to sync my email on my home PC with email on my Samsung Phone? I do not want to have to move and/or delete emails in two places.

How can I set up my email account with Comcast to sync on all devices?

Thank you.

Email Expert

Re: Unable to Sync my Email on my PC with Email on my Samsung Phone

You need to set the account up on both the computer and the phone using IMAP instead of POP3.  Here are the settings------------------

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Once you've done that, everything should be in sync.  You can delete the POP accounts if you want to afterward.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

OK so for us NON techy folks what does all this mean and are there instructions somewhere 

Email Expert

On the desktop, are you using an email client like Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail to access your email account with Comcast?  Or are you just using the Comcast webmail portal?

I'm not familiar with Android phone operating systems, so I can't say how the account is configured on yours.  I have an iPhone, and it detects Comcast email now as IMAP compliant by default.  I also use Mac Mail on my iMac desktop, and Windows Live Mail on my Dell laptop.  They are all set to use IMAP.

It sounds like either one or both of your devices are set up using POP3.  The default behavior for that protocol is to download emails from the server to the computer or other device, and then delete it from the server.  Using a client lets you set it to leave a copy on the server, but it's only helpful for the Inbox.   If you use IMAP, then the account is synced on any device you set it up on.  So if you delete a message on the phone, it shows as deleted on the laptop, desktop or tablet you may have it set up on too.  Same thing applies to any other action you take like marking a message as either read or unread, or moving it to another folder etc.  POP3 can't do that.  But again---- it only works on the Inbox folder.  It is OK if you only access your email on one computer or other device, but that's all.

So in order for us to proceed further, you need to tell us how you are accessing your email on both devices.  The smartphone acts like a client if you are using whatever mail handling app came on it, or the Comcast mobile app.  So just what is your setup on both?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation