New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Unable to Send Email via Exchange OWA

ANSWERED
New Poster

Unable to Send Email via Exchange OWA

Hi all,

I have just set up Exchange for a domain and am unable to send mail out from the Outlook Web App (OWA) to any external email account. Everything is going through my personally owned router, to the Comcast gateway (router/modem combo), and then out to the internet. I know port 25 is being blocked by Comcast, but I am wondering how to go about this situation.

I am unable to telnet to any email service port (25, 465, or 587) to my public IP. How can I configure this environment to send email properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to Send Email via Exchange OWA

athieda wrote:

Hi,

No, I am not trying to send out email with my comcast email address.

I have an Exchange server that is trying to send mail out to the internet. What needs to be done to allow mail being sent out from my email addresses (alias@mydomain.com) since port 25 is blocked by Comcast? I have a personal bridged router set up so I can set some firewall rules up if need be.

Thanks.

It is against the Comcast Residential Acceptable Use Policy to run an email server behind your residential modem.

Port 25 is blocked for security reasons...to prevent badly configured personal mail servers from becoming SPAM cannons. If you have a business need to run your own Exchange server, then you probably need a Business account with Comcast.

View answer in context
Service Expert

Residential email doesn't use Exchange, but business mail does.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

The answer is on this page, but it's not correct! https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

I've started a thread attempting to find out what the NEW SMTP server address is...

Official Employee

garberfc wrote:

The answer is on this page, but it's not correct! https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

I've started a thread attempting to find out what the NEW SMTP server address is...

Those are the correct names and port #s.

Might you be having IPv6 issues with Windows?  Does this thread help?

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Comcast-email-and-Microsoft-Outlook-Use...

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Hi,

I have an Exchange server that is trying to send mail out to the internet. What needs to be done to allow mail being sent out from my email addresses (alias@mydomain.com) since port 25 is blocked by Comcast? I have a personal bridged router set up so I can set some firewall rules up if need be.

Thanks.

Networking Expert

athieda wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

It is against the Comcast Residential Acceptable Use Policy to run an email server behind your residential modem.

Port 25 is blocked for security reasons...to prevent badly configured personal mail servers from becoming SPAM cannons. If you have a business need to run your own Exchange server, then you probably need a Business account with Comcast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I see. Wasn't aware of the restrictions. Thanks for clarifying.

So if I upgrade to a business class account, then the comcast modem wouldn't be blocking any inboung or outbound ports?

Bronze Problem Solver

Port 25 will still be blocked.

If you have a domain have it hosted somewhere and use that.  You have a dynamic IP also that might change.

OWA does not use port 25 anyway.  OWA uses TCP 80 inbound without ssl or 443 inbond with ssl.  TCP port 80 outbound on HTTP

Gold Problem Solver

kheffington wrote: Port 25 will still be blocked. ...

According to http://businesshelp.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/ports-blocked-on-comcast-network/ port 25 blocking is conditional for Business accounts.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation