Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Unable To Delete Email Address' That I Never Put Into My Address Book

Regular Contributor

Unable To Delete Email Address' That I Never Put Into My Address Book

Here we go again, just so frustrating:

In my address TO: listings, I have about 30-40 email address' that I did not add. I did send an email to these folks at one time on a multiple BCC:, but I did not add any of those names to my address book. As a matter of fact, none are actually listed in my email address book directory, so I have no deletion option.

Every time I go to my TO: box to pick, those names are listed as well as the ones in my address book.

I can not find a way to remove them.

Any help?

Thanks,

Norm 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Unable To Delete Email Address' That I Never Put Into My Address Book

This is a fairly new issue we are seeing.  The system includes any email address you sent to in the TO field, but does not add them to your address book.  They will drop off eventually.

However, I am going to inquire to tge ComcastvAdministrators about this.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

I actually did delete a few addresses from my address book today but they can't be deleted from the "To" list either.  They continue to show up regardless.   Oh yeah, I remember, they'll go away on their own some day.   Thats right.

Email Expert

The auto-complete feature in the Comcast address book has it's own memory.  You can't access it or alter it.  Periodically Comcast will re-set accounts, and at that time entries that have been deleted from your address book should vanish.  However, they only do that sporadically, on no particular schedule.  So those old addresses could keep popping up for quite a while.

Also, when you type an address into the To: Cc: or Bcc: fields, the feature will remember it if you actually send an email to that address, even if it’s not in the address book.  It's actually pretty common behavior with webmail accounts.  The address book is actually provided by Plaxo.  I have contacted them previously about this and that's how it was explained to me.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks all for your replies, however, doesn't do me any good. Is there any other company that Comcast can get to get a decent email and address book system other than Plaxo....sorry, but they stink. 

Email Expert

NormK wrote:

Thanks all for your replies, however, doesn't do me any good. Is there any other company that Comcast can get to get a decent email and address book system other than Plaxo....sorry, but they stink. 

Plaxo has been the provider of the address book and calendar  for some time now.  So I guess the answer to your question is --------no.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I'm having the same issue.  Email address not deleting from select address but deleting from the address book.

Gold Problem Solver

NormK wrote: ... Is there any other company that Comcast can get to get a decent email and address book system other than Plaxo ...

Plaxo has been owned by Comcast since 2008. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaxo . Unless Comcast finds an even cheaper way to provide its customers with email, I would guess that this will not change anytime soon.

For many reasons forum regulars often suggest that customers use a more competent email provider like Gmail or the MS Hotmail/MSN/Outlook.com family instead of Comcast for their main email.

Regular Contributor

All, thanks for your input. 

Email Expert

Saving the address of someone you send an email to is nothing peculiar to Comcast.  My Yahoo and Gmail accounts do the same thing.  I also use Apple Mail, and it does it too.  The difference is that in Mail and Gmail------you have a way to manually delete old contacts from the auto-fill in the Compose page.  I don't know why Plaxo doesn't have that capability.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Curious.   Yesterday I said I deleted a few addresses from my address book but they still show up on the To list with all the other unrequested add-ons.   Now, today the entries I specifically deleted yesterday are no longer showing up on the To list but the remainder of those unrequested entries are still there.   So, there must be two delete functions, one which does seem to listen to users even though 24 hours later and the other which ignores users and is on its own schedule, or intentionally irritates users.   

By the way... this thing says I've been a member since 2013.  Thats wrong.   I've had this account since 1986 when Comcast was connected to this house.

Regular Contributor

You should be able to add an email address in your address book or delete any, and it should show up immediately in the TO: box, a new one is there and the old one is gone. Why is that not happening? Why the wait? I had an early MS version before W7, it worked great.

Of course we all know we pay throught the nose for this "great service", the bigger they get, the less they hear us..........or even want to do anything about it.

My thanks to the volunteers hear who try to help, but don't you get frustrated too?

Contributor

Hmmm, ok, let me try this...   I've just added a couple of the unrequested "To" list addresses to my Address Book formally.   I'm going to let that sit awhile and then delete them from my Address Book and see if they go away totally.   Its a lot of work if you have dozens of these but I'd enjoy sticking it to the software tech who did this.

Contributor

You know, it appears to me as if Comcast, through their own means, are impacting my disk usage here, albeit in a small way.   And I have no way to control this usage statistic but still I must pay for it.   I wonder how many users are impacted by this "feature" and are upset about it.   Class action?

Email Expert

Therre are a couple of things everyone should keep in mind.  First, the address book and the email program are provided by two separate companies;  the address book is from Plaxo, and the email is actually Zimbra.  Comcast doesn't write their own email software.  That alone may partly explain this feature's behavior.  The other thing is that there are actually two copies of the address book-----one in the default Full version of Xfinity Connect, and the other in the Lite version.  The one in the Lite version is the "master" copy.  They are supposed to be syncronized but once in a while they get out of sync.  If you make changes to the address book in the Lite version, they should be reflected in the Full version right away, but I can't guarantee it.  And yes, I've made changes and then they show up 24 hours later, especially using the Full version.

As for the auto-fill, I have been in contact with Plaxo previously, and they said what I posted upthread--------it has it's own memory, and you cannont directly access it.  But eventually unused addresses that are not in the address book will drop off the list.  If it shows up with "Forget" to the right of it, click on that and it will drop it down further in the list.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Admin1

Hello All -- This is a known national issue. We are working on a resolution but do not have a fix in place for this yet. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

This is getting ridiculous now, I'm supposed to have 207 email address' in my address book, now I have 254. Every time I send a single email with no intention of adding it into my address book, it goes there regardless.....WHY? And since it doesn't show up there, there's no way to delete it.......WHY?

I send out messages to multiple lists, now I have to weed through the whole 254 to get to my 207, what a pain in the rear.

How did this get started? This wasn't going on a few weeks ago, at least not with me. A simple keystroke at Plaxo started this mess? If it got started, why can't it get undone?

Does ANYONE have a logical explanation of why this is going on, and please, not the typical canned answer "it's a national thing" What the heck kind of answer is that.

Oh by the way, can't even get into the Plaxo website.........figures.

I'm so discusted with Comcast.....don't get me started with the cable TV side either. I'd get rid of them in a heart beat if I had an alternative at my location.

Sorry for the rant, but this must fall on deaf ears at Plaxo. I picture one fellow behind 20 keyboards and 20 screens trying to monitor Plaxo's system and is overwhelmed, at least that what it seems like to me.

Regular Visitor

Drop Down Menu Saves Every Email Address I Send An Email To And I Can't Delete Them Since They Are Not In My Address Book

Ticket #CR567971315

When composing an email there is a problem. There are contact addresses in the drop down menu ( "To", "Select Addresses" from the list) that your system has mistakenly saved. The list gives the option to choose as a recipient people that I have previously emailed but have not saved and don't want to be saved in my address book. Please sync my address book with the drop down menu of contacts that appears when composing an email. Your system has mistakenly saved the contact addresses of email recipients that I have sent emails to, but have not saved as contacts in my address book.

all the email addresses in my contacts also appear in the drop down menu. So that part is fine. The problem is there are addresses in the drop down menu that I never saved to my contacts. I want these to be removed from the drop down menu

I went through this with your low-level script readers in India, a second higher level script reader in India, and someone named Hassan at the Comcast Advanced Repair Team:
1-888-824-8988 ext 3031445

He couldn't fix it either. So he said my elevated ticket would be further elevated to something that he called "the engineering team", whatever that is.

He said I could call him back to check on the status of the repair. I did. No answer. Left a message with my contact info and ticket number. He never called back. 

FIX IT!!

It's been weeks now, and the problem remains and I'm not calling or chatting with a rep just to go through 20 minutes of trying to explain my issue to a script-reader who will just bump it somewhere else anyway.

PLEASE FIX IT!

See all those addresses. I have only 9 in my Address book, and can't get rid of the ones in this drop down menu that aren't in my address book. Every email I send adds the email address to this drop down menu. It shouldn't be doing this.

Capture.JPG
New Poster

e-mail address are connecting to me automatically

I have e-mail addresses that show up when I hit to, that I do not have in my address book.  I don't know how they got their but I cannot remove them.  Again when I am sending or want to sent and e-mail to someone and I hit to, to access that address, their are e-mail addresses that show up that I never put in my address book and are not there today.  How do I get rid of these?

Contributor

Spam email address and Autocomplete

When I type in a specific person's name for an email one of the addresses that appears is a spam email address that I previously blocked. How can I delete that spam email address so it stops appearing?

New Poster

can't erase unwanted e-mail address on my drop down

Have unwanted e-mail adresses on my drop down, and I can't get rid of them.

Regular Visitor

Address Book

How can I delet e-mail addresses from my Address Book??? The delete function does not eliminate unwanted e-mail addresses.

Regular Visitor

Re: Drop Down Menu Saves Every Email Address I Send An Email To And I Can't Delete Them Since They Are Not In My Address Book

bump

Still waiting...

Regular Contributor

This is getting ridiculous now, now I have 312 unwanted email address' in my address book, where ony 207 are legit.

WHEN IS THIS GOING TO STOP AND BE CORRECTED?

Email Expert

I can't seem to duplicate this problem.  Try going directly to your Plaxo account and see if you can delete any from there--------------------

https://www.plaxo.com/auth?secure=1

Just use your Comcast credentials to sign in.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Have you tried pointing at the address in the dropdown and clicking "Forget"?

Testing2.PNG

Email Expert

BMorr87 wrote:

Have you tried pointing at the address in the dropdown and clicking "Forget"?

Testing2.PNG

All that does is drop the address further down in the list, it doesn't delete it.  The purpose of it is to change the rank of that contact in the list.  The norm is that the more often you use an address, it will be nearer to the top of the list.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I followed a suggestion above and logged into Plaxo.com.   The "ADDRESS BOOK" there is the formal one, which works fine.   It is not the address list which appears when I click "Add Recipients" or the "To" button, or which provides fill-in suggestions as you type.  The memory where those addresses are stored is the one out of control.   You know, I am reminded of the Patriot Act, and how companies like Verizon and Comcast were asked to provide data about users.   Most of them did and still do.   You don't suppose Comcast, or one of it's subsidiaries has a contract to keep a list of every address we send to long enough for someone to get a copy?  Between this and their wanting to put wireless gateways in everyone's home sure makes me think.

Email Expert

The auto-complete feature in the Comcast address book has it's own memory.  You can't access it or alter it.  Periodically Comcast will re-set accounts, and at that time entries that have been deleted from your address book should vanish.  However, they only do that sporadically, on no particular schedule.  So those old addresses could keep popping up for quite a while.

Also, when you type an address into the To: Cc: or Bcc: fields, the feature will remember it if you actually send an email to that address, even if it’s not in the address book.  It's actually pretty common behavior with webmail accounts.  My Gmail and Yahoo accounts do the same thing.  This is nothing new.  It's been around for a long time.  If you use an email client like Outlook or Windows Live Mail, they do the same thing.  I use Apple Mail and it does it too. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Mr. Latoque, that's all well and good for you, but not me. I've NEVER had this problem before, so why now? Don't want it, never asked for it, but it's thrust upon me anyhow. So I'm stuck with this unsolicted inconvenience until someone decides they may do somthing about it. I'm getting tired of the lack of concern from those that should straighten this out, but......................cricketts.............

Regular Visitor

Never had this problem before, Mr. Latoque

Regular Visitor

Auto save email adddress and can not delete them.

Every email I send the email address is being saved automatically in my To CC and BCC but does not appear in my address book to delete them?

Regular Visitor

Agreed!

Regular Contributor

Okayyyy, I never had this issue before up until a couple weeks ago, so how did I get this problem in the first place. We just "have to put up with it?" This is unsatisfactory.

Plaxo says they'll have it straightened out in 24-48 hours.....yeah right.

Regular Visitor

E-Mail Address book

When sending a new E-mail to, It beings up an address book. How do I delete name that are there. They are not in the main address portion of the address section. What can I do to delete names.

Harley Halleck

New Poster

Comcast email forwarding list

How can I delete names on Comcast email forwarding list??

New Poster

Re: E-Mail Address book

Information needed on this problem.  The address book keeps adding names and I can't find how to delete them. 

New Poster

Re: Email Address book

I recently replied to an email and now all the ccs in that email appear in my address book when I send an email. If I only open my address book by itself these names are not in it and yet they can't be removed from the list when I forward or start a new email. From these replies it looks like I am stuck with more names of people I don't know than those I actually entered into my address book. Isn't there anything I can do ?

Contributor

I have the same problem. I delete or add in the address book, but when I use the drop down box and click TC they are still there, and the new ones are not?????????????? and this is not a new issue.The primary, on the account use to be able to go in and reset the accounts, but no longer can do that!

Frequent Visitor

Hi Norm,

I have started experiencing the same issue and, after pulling out what little hair I have left, I decided to contact support. The first person I talked with could not get it through his head that I was talking about an issue with the "TO" box on emails and not my address book; so I waited, and then sent a message to support again.

After several attempts of going through "Level 2" on up to "Premium" support, and having them do what they said was a "Slow Sync" of my Address Book, they finally decided there was nothing that could be done. Three things I did learn while jumping through these hoops was (1) Comcast does not have very good support; (2) they either do not know or do not care that when they say you are being bumped up to the next level of support they really should change the name of the person you are correspending with because if they don't, it just looks like you are being given the run around. The third thing I learned, and the more important thing, was that Comcast uses a third party for its email service. This means that everything they - meaning Comcast - said they were doing, was actually being done by someone else. By the way, each slow sync took several days to accomplish.

In the end, I became so sick of the whole thing that I decided to open a gmail account, which by the way Comcast actually suggested I do.

Comcast did say they were working on the problem, which told me there were more people having the same issue.

Bottom line is that any address in the "TO" box cannot be deleted. even if you add them to your address and then delete them, they will not be deleted in the "TO" box. Until the issue is fixed, which I doubt it ever will be, I would suggest that you open a gmail account and only use Comcast as a secondary account.

I hope this helps.

Bob

What the slow sync was supposed to do was sync both the to and address book into one. It never did. In the end, I found out that Comcast's email service is actually handled by a third party and not by Comcast. So anytime you request something be done with email service, they have to go to this third party

Regular Contributor

Thanks Bob. Still having the problem. Nothing from Plaxo, nothing from Comcast, nothing from the self appointed experts here, what a joke. And what is charged for this excellent service.........nothing but headaches, jeez. 

Contributor

It seems to me with all the complaints Comcast would do something about it!

Frequent Visitor

That's why Comcast is well known for its customer no-service. Being as big as Comcast is, one would think they would at least have one person that knew what they were doing, but good customer service is not one of their priorities.

Regular Contributor

Have you noticed the self appointed experts here and the real Comcast employees here are conspicuously absent? They don't have an answer either, it's the "someone else controls what's going on". As far as I'm concerned, they can stay off this forum, they're really no help. What they need to be doing is busting someone's chops at the "third party" place, or going up the corporate ladder and getting louder so someone will hear them. Don't hear anything about that, do you............

Regular Visitor

If Comcast is paying a 3rd party to manage email and can't get that party to change it back, then Comcast should be looking for another 3rd party who is more cooperative.    Comcast can and should vote with its checkbook--like the rest of us.  

The change to adding unwanted email addresses should have been stopped as soon as the general dissatisfaction was made known.   This is ridiculous.

Regular Visitor

I contaced Comcast Chat Room and a woman guranteed me a high end represenative/expert would contact me via phone within 24 hours saying it woud be a high priority, it has now been a week and nothing!

The annoyance of having so many unwanted email addresses in my drop down is beyond comprehension, especially when not being able to delete them.

Makes you feel warm and fuzzing doing business with Comcast...

Regular Visitor

I think the same woman (in India?) put me on hold for about 10 minutes and when the nexp person answered, she had routed me to microsoft.    Duhhhh.   

Frequent Visitor

Be careful not to 'Reply All'.  That's how I got this mess.

Contributor

Well, it looks to me like the email we use comes from Zimbra.   If you look at their website you'll find that they offer a free open-source email system.   A few Comcast insiders (red names) have suggested that Comcast wants a cheap email solution.  Its hard to beat free.  Open source means the source code is available to anyone and you can tweek your copy.   Good tweeks get adopted into the primary product and it evolves over time.  Just a thought.

Frequent Visitor

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the worse and 10 being the best, I would be unable to find a number low enough to describe how bad Comcast customer no-service really is. There was a time in America when customer service was a top priority in order for a compay to stay in business, but that was then, and this is now. I have given up on ever getting any real help with my email addresses that keep showing up in my drop down "TO" box, and have gone to using gmail as my primary email address and Comcast as a back up. I worked with Comcast on this same problem for several days, and after being bumped up to the highest level of support, I have discovered that within the Comcast tech support community, the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. In order words, they are dumb as a bag of rocks.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats