Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Surge in Spam

Frequent Visitor

Surge in Spam

One of my favorite things about my Comcast e-mail the past 8 years or so has been the lack of spam.  That all changed about 6-8 months ago, and ever since I've had an ever increasing surge in spam.  Has anyone else noticed such, or is it just me?  Thinking I might have to delete the e-mail account and switch to a new one, because I'm getting dozens of spam messages a day now and it takes a hour to sort through.

New Poster

Re: Surge in Spam

I found the same thing. I went in to my email spam filters, deleted them all and then reset some and for about 2 weeks I had to keep checking my spam folder and mark spam or not spam and adding folks to the safe list. It was time consuming but now my spam is 1 or less every few days.

Email Expert

Spam tends to run in cycles.  Once your address is on one spammer's list, it doesn't take long for it to wind up on others.  About the best you can do short of changing the email address is to keep marking them as spam when they get to your Inbox.  You should both find these links of interest---------------------

http://ask-leo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do.html

and

https://askleo.com/stopping-spam-harder-think/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=In.RoL7ub3dfbL

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thank you for responding and for the information links!

Regular Visitor

I have NEVER given anyone my comcast e-mail address.  Not one person.  Yet I get spam messages from Anderson windows, medigap insurance, SUV deals...  on and on and on...  multiple times each day.  I've marked every message as spam, but it has not even slowed down...  

Email Expert

Ggiese wrote:

I have NEVER given anyone my comcast e-mail address.  Not one person.  Yet I get spam messages from Anderson windows, medigap insurance, SUV deals...  on and on and on...  multiple times each day.  I've marked every message as spam, but it has not even slowed down...  

The fact that you don't give out the address doesn't give total protection from spammers.  They have a number of ways to get it including just brute guessing it.  If they use a bot to search for anything@comcast.net they are bound to hit on some valid email addresses, when they can search at the speed of a computer.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I guess what bugs me is, I've used my comcast e-mail for years and been spam free - until about 8 months ago.  And then overnight seemingly, it was like a huge flood. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation